(05-18-2004) Bono Says FCC Has Taught Him Lesson -- AP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040517/capt.px10105171744.people_bono_px101.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Says FCC Has Taught Him Lesson

PHILADELPHIA - Bono was careful not to say anything off-color during his commencement speech at the University of Pennsylvania.

"The FCC has taught me a lesson," the 44-year-old rocker said Monday, referring to the Federal Communications Commission's declaration that an expletive he used on last year's Golden Globe Awards broadcast was indecent and profane.

Wearing blue-tinted sunglasses with a black cap and gown, the U2 frontman accepted an honorary doctor of laws from Penn President Judith Rodin. He urged graduating Penn students to live up to the ideals of America, of believing there is no problem that can't be fixed.

He also challenged them to take on Africa, with its poverty, epidemics, resentment over unfair trade rules and insurmountable debt. Bono recalled his experiences in famine-stricken Ethiopia in 1985, saying the trip made him "a rock star with a cause."

Ending Africa's extreme poverty is "cheaper than the Marshall Plan in Europe. It's cheaper than fighting wave after wave of terrorism's new recruits," he said. "We have the know-how. We have the cash. We have the lifesaving drugs. But do we have the will?"

In 2002, Bono co-founded Debt AIDS Trade Africa, which works with religious groups concerned with global disease and hunger issues.

--Associated Press

WONDERFUL! I like when Bono asks if they have the will. And a doctor of laws, dipolmia? Wonderful!

Press Agencies have the gift to be short and give you exactly the key point of the issue!

I just would like journalists to be able to ask bono some questions who aren't always "why are you doing it?" or things like that...

It could be nice if they could be able to go deeper and deeper in the issue of WHAT TO DO!

And, Gosh, how sweet Bono is when he talks about learning a lesson? !!!

Back
Top Bottom