(05-17-2004) Bono Urges West to Fight for Africa in Penn - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040517/capt.px10105171744.people_bono_px101.jpg[/SIMG]
Bono Urges West to Fight for Africa
By Jon Hurdle

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Irish rock star and political activist Bono on Monday urged Western governments to fight poverty, AIDS and debt in Africa because that was cheaper than combating terrorism that may breed in such conditions.

In a speech to new graduates of the University of Pennsylvania, the U2 singer said developed countries have the financial and technological ability to alleviate conditions that lead to the deaths of 7,000 people a day in Africa from preventable diseases.

"It's cheaper than fighting wave after wave of the terrorists' new recruits," he said.

capt.px10105171744.people_bono_px101.jpg

(AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma)

The singer's support for Africa and other developing-world causes ranges from the Live Aid rock concert in 1985 to a World AIDS Day 2003 concert in South Africa. He has lobbied Congress and appealed to world leaders to back humanitarian efforts.

After being presented with an honorary doctorate of laws from the university for his work on African issues, he called on graduates to use their Ivy League educations to help.

capt.px10305171753.people_bono_px103.jpg

"Your pockets are full and now you have got to figure out what to spend it on," he said. "If you are going to live up to your ideals and your education, it's going to cost you."

The failure of rich nations to help solve Africa's problems has historical parallels with slavery and racial segregation, Bono said on the 50th anniversary of the U.S. court case that officially ended segregation in schools.

Those conventions were accepted norms until overthrown by those with the courage to challenge them, he said.

capt.px10205171748.penn_bono_px102.jpg

"If you want to save the age, betray it," he said, quoting the Irish poet Brendan Keneally. "Expose its conceits, foibles and phony moral certitudes."

"For the first time in history we have the cash and the technological know-how" to solve Africa's problems, he said. "But do we have the will?"

To watch the webcast of Bono's speech, visit:
http://www.upenn.edu/commencement/webcast.html

To view more photos from this event, visit:
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Bono&ei=UTF-8&=&c=news_photos

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040517/people_nm/life_bono_dc_3

Last edited:
All I can say is this man is TRULY one of the GREATEST People alive in our world today!:yes:

I can get as emotional as anyone else here about Bono - I have been following (and probably loving) him since I first "met" him in 1981. He has continued to amaze me, uplift me and provide me with an example of a life of incredible humility, honesty and Grace.:up: :hug:

BONO IS SIMPLY THE BEST - AND WE SHOULD ALL BE GRATEFUL THAT WE HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE A SMALL PART OF THIS ENORMOUSLY GOOD(BONO) LIFE!:love:

GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS, BONO.:bono: :heart: :heart: :lol: :angel:

:wink: Awe! I love that pic too!!! She definetly let the world know! PS; 2 ja-glad to know I am not the only one since 1981-just have not met him-yet!!:sexywink: I:heart: Bono!!

I just graduated myself- bachelors of fine arts; we didnt have a guest speaker or anything special at our ceremony, but watching the footage of bono's speech at Penn kinda felt like he was speaking to my graduating class. He has that power at the mike.

His speech from the One Campaign launch and from the Penn ceremony really opened my eyes and ears. I have already signed the petition at the One Campaign Website...I encourage others too as well. Pretty damn worthy cause- I mean emergency.

mofo82 said:
I just graduated myself- bachelors of fine arts; we didnt have a guest speaker or anything special at our ceremony, but watching the footage of bono's speech at Penn kinda felt like he was speaking to my graduating class. He has that power at the mike.

His speech from the One Campaign launch and from the Penn ceremony really opened my eyes and ears. I have already signed the petition at the One Campaign Website...I encourage others too as well. Pretty damn worthy cause- I mean emergency.

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom