(05-15-2004) U2 Studio Update, Live from Dublin - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
(05-15-2004) U2 Studio Update, Live from Dublin - Interference.com

Now Hear This!

Interference.com has recently had an update from the studios in Dublin!

It seems a group of fans were treated to a U2 jam session as Larry, Edge and Adam arrived at the studio to work out a couple of songs. The Edge's guitar tech Dallas Schoo promised the fans "You're gonna hear some great music today," and he did not dissapoint. He plugged the guitars in upstairs so the music could be heard outside the building.

The recording studio is found in the basement of the building, but this time the guys played upstairs, making the music loud and easy to hear outside, even local Dubliners and passers-by stopped in their tracks to listen to the music. When asked what the music sounded like, one source said "It was a much harder rock sound than ATYCLB, there were lots of guitars. Edge was trying many different riffs, very hard drums and strong bass lines. It's unclear if they were just jamming or it was the begining of a song, but they were working on the same one for a very long time. At one point a song sounded very familiar almost between 'Walk On' and the Cranberries 'Zombie' and the music sounded closer to the AB sessions."

Adam and Edge both came out to speak with fans, Larry was spotted smiling and Paul McGuinness was on hand to say hello. Adam mentioned that they were working really hard, staying late to get things done. They will be back at it again next week and our favourite singer (AKA Bono) will return at the end of the week to join them. It seems the boys really have been hard at work, staying until the wee hours of the morning working away...

So the question remains is this really their first rock and roll record ever, and how close are they to being finished?

We'll continue to keep you posted as we get the latest info!

Do you have news or information you'd like to share? Send it to carrie@interference.com

Thanks to our 'source', as well as Katey for writing this story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great if they get the Achtung Baby sound. The best Fu#king album ever made. Sounds very exciting. Can't wait to hear it.:yes: :yes: :yes:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Much harder rock!!!!! Lots of guitars!!!!! Many riffs!!!! Hard drums!!!! Strong basslines!!!! I knew it, I knew it!!!! They wouldn?t disappoint us!!!!! Bono wasn?t just talking crazy stuff he was right!!!!! I must, I need to have that album right now!!!!! Closer to AB!!!! That's AWESOME!!!!! I NEED MORE SONGS LIKE THE FLY, BULLET THE BLUE SKY, THE ELECTRIC CO......

But wait Zombie?! I'll take that as just the closest reference a person who maybe doesn?t listen to much harder or heavier rock could find!!!! Just put that record out today, I don?t care if it?s unfinished!!!! I need it now!!!! :crazy:

Lucky fans! That does it, I have decided to move to Dublin!

I wonder if they have start to get pressure from Universal to finish the album for that October/November release.Maybe the record label is getting impatient and they have asked the boys to speed up the sessions a little?

Perhaps that's why they are working in the late hours of the evenings recently?........

Cigar said:
I wonder if they have start to get pressure from Universal to finish the album for that October/November release.Maybe the record label is getting impatient and they have asked the boys to speed up the sessions a little?

Perhaps that's why they are working in the late hours of the evenings recently?........

Or maybe they were just jamming..... I'm sure the record company asks about the record to know how things are going and stuff but I doubt they pressure U2 much to get it done.

Hmm, sounds encouraging but it doesnt sound like they really worked on alot of songs. Sounds like they worked on one or two that had a harder feel to it. I still cant see it being a full rock album, I said before on a similiar thread, maybe 3 to 4 songs max that have that kind of feel. I wouldnt be disappointed if I was wrong and more than half the album was that way. Honestly, I dont really care what the feel is, as long as its good.

What strikes me as odd is that they are doing a jam session? At this stage? Arent they suppose to be mixing the final tracks now?

Blue Room said:
Hmm, sounds encouraging but it doesnt sound like they really worked on alot of songs. Sounds like they worked on one or two that had a harder feel to it. I still cant see it being a full rock album, I said before on a similiar thread, maybe 3 to 4 songs max that have that kind of feel. I wouldnt be disappointed if I was wrong and more than half the album was that way. Honestly, I dont really care what the feel is, as long as its good.

What strikes me as odd is that they are doing a jam session? At this stage? Arent they suppose to be mixing the final tracks now?

Ummm, I don't think so. I really think the album will be filled with songs that sound like the ones described before. Not all of them probably, I'll say 85% of the record. I think the album will probably have a harder and more aggressive feel than anything else before but I don't think that there will be 12 hard rock songs but even the softer or more experimental songs will have that kind of guitar drive. That's the idea for this album I think.

martha said:

And what does Zombie sound like? The only Cranberries I've ever heard annoyed the hell out of me.

Zombie is a rather dark track from Cranberries. Really loud with an affecting chorus.....mixing that with Walk On seems kind of strange, but that would kind of mean a fast enough moving, loud sorta rock song.....I guess....

TheBrazilianFly said:

Ummm, I don't think so. I really think the album will be filled with songs that sound like the ones described before. Not all of them probably, I'll say 85% of the record. I think the album will probably have a harder and more aggressive feel than anything else before but I don't think that there will be 12 hard rock songs but even the softer or more experimental songs will have that kind of guitar drive. That's the idea for this album I think.

LOL, man, what are saying it will be or wont be?? Will be??? 85% LOL?????? Wow, how on earth did you arrive at that? Some type of calculation, is that the "I have no clue theory of BS" I have my personal reasons for arriving at the 3 to 4. Believe what you want. If you are going off what Bono has been saying you are going to be disappointed. He is the King of exagerration. I guess we will have to wait and see, but dont act you know because you dont. I'am not saying I do either, but remember that Bono said about ATYCLB, we are going back to pure rock and roll with guitars and drums. That had everyone fired up and the album sounded nothing like he described. Good Lord, I love it when you state your opinion and then someone who has no clue comes in like they know or have heard the album and says you are wrong!! LOL

Last edited:
who knows what they were doing? maybe they were prepping for the new tour, putting music down for a new track that Bono has already laid the lyrics down for, who knows?? all i know is im glad their in the studio to do one thing or the other, its cool how they let everyone hear them jam. and also, more basslines and guitars is fine with me, Edge is the man!!

I have to go with Michigan Blue on this one, I think the new album will have a few hard tracks on it but we cant take what Bono says as 100% definitive. I think Edge might have had the best quote and hit the new album on the spot when he said it's "going to be in the same vein as ATYCLB, but with a harder edge to it." either way, im checking the site everyday for more news...

Blue Room said:

LOL, man, what are saying it will be or wont be?? Will be??? 85% LOL?????? Wow, how on earth did you arrive at that? Some type of calculation, is that the "I have no clue theory of BS" I have my personal reasons for arriving at the 3 to 4. Believe what you want. If you are going off what Bono has been saying you are going to be disappointed. He is the King of exagerration. I guess we will have to wait and see, but dont act you know because you dont. I'am not saying I do either, but remember that Bono said about ATYCLB, we are going back to pure rock and roll with guitars and drums. That had everyone fired up and the album sounded nothing like he described. Good Lord, I love it when you state your opinion and then someone who has no clue comes in like they know or have heard the album and says you are wrong!! LOL

:rolleyes: :sigh:

Wow, you just gave me the final prove I needed about you. Thanks. That was quite unnecessary, I wasn?t being aggressive or even disrespectful with you before like you now, maybe the part "Ummmm, I don't think so" made you think I was saying you are wrong but that?s the kind of thing you do, not me. As you I was just giving my opinion. My guess on how the album is going to come out by what I hear "the King of exaggeration" and the other members of the band say. I'm not really the one who comes in and starts talking about everything as if I knew it all. Almost as if I was an insider. You seem to be famous for that. It?s the second time you get angry and acts all arrogant with me when I don?t agree with what you say. My logic for the 85%? They?ve been working on this album a long time and all they say it?s their first rock album, I think if they had been working, lets say for two months straight on a couple of really soft and calm songs they wouldn?t leave the studio and say ?Oh yeah this new song we?re working on is really hard and mean??. But yeah I guess we?ll have to wait and see. I can't understand nothing you wrote at the beginning of your rant, however if you didn?t understood what I said maybe you should read it again, cause it's very clear. Maybe I should add a LOL on my post to make it stronger or more pretentious.... nah I don't think so.

It was very cool that they were jamming for some fans. I hope that all of their hard work pays off.

"At one point a song sounded very familiar almost between 'Walk On' and the Cranberries 'Zombie'"

:hmm:...that's an interesting mix...but I like both those songs, so...:D.

"and the music sounded closer to the AB sessions."

:hyper:. Ooh.

Yeah. I'm very intrigued now (and also very envious of those fans! Grrr...so lucky!).

Angela

Blue Room said:

The mixing of the album takes less than a month. If the first single comes out in September, I don' think the mixing would begin until July or August. I think they still have at least two months of solid recording ahead of them in the studio this summer, with the mixing to follow.

Then again, we may be in for a September surprise just like in 1996 when POP was pushed back to a March 1997 release date.

Great if it sounds like the AB sessions
If you listen to "Where did it all go wrong" and "Salome take 3" and stuff like that...Straight rock
Still my fav. bootleg...!!!

P.S.: They should bring out a live album after every tour...would have equal sellings as their albums

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

You have no fucking clue of what you are talking about. Shut up before you get stepped on

Most of the mixing is done at the same time as the recording nowadays, with the use of computer sortware. It's not uncommon for a band to only spend a couple of days to a week for mixing. If U2 are going for a 'rockier' type of sound, it won't need much mixing at all.

This is sounding more and more like it'll be a cross between ATYCLB and Achtung BAby, and I couldn't be happier about it.

After having such a prominent role in Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, Edge's guitar seemed to be less dominant/prominent in the following three albums, so I couldn't be happier that Edge is back up front in the music and apparently playing like a "madman". :up:

am i the only one who finds it odd for two different groups with two differing opinions to argue so bitterly over something that neither side really has a clue as to what they're talking about? we don't know how many songs are hard rockers, because we haven't heard the songs yet. can we not flame each other like a bunch of 12 year olds and just wait until we actually hear some of the songs before bashing each other over their sound?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
am i the only one who finds it odd for two different groups with two differing opinions to argue so bitterly over something that neither side really has a clue as to what they're talking about? we don't know how many songs are hard rockers, because we haven't heard the songs yet. can we not flame each other like a bunch of 12 year olds and just wait until we actually hear some of the songs before bashing each other over their sound?

Thank you.

There is absolutely no reason for us to argue over each other's conjectures about the new album. None of us have heard it, and none of us really have no idea what exactly is going on with it. Because of this, the personal attacks that have happened above are tremendously unnecessay. I don't want to have to close this thread, but I certainly will if we can't learn to stop insulting each other for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom