(05-05-2004) Bono: Press Freedom Saves Lives - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Press Freedom Saves Lives

The media helped lower HIV rates in Europe in the 1980s and could play a similar role in Africa today. Speaking to the World Association of Newspapers and the World Editors Forum to mark World Press Freedom Day, Bono argues that press freedom saves lives.

"AIDS is the worst pandemic in 600 years. People need to know about it to avoid becoming one of the statistics," he says. "The media is our messenger, a modern-day town-crier. China is an example of what happens when there is a conspiracy of silence through censorship. HIV spread like wildfire through certain regions because no-one knew about it. A million people with HIV, and only now it gets in the national papers."

Below we carry some highlights of the interview which WAN and the WEF are distributing through www.worldpressfreedomday.org, along with interviews with other world figures for publication by newspapers world-wide on or around this week's World Press Freedom Day.

WAN: Coming from a Western democracy, at what point in your life did you become aware that press freedom wasn't a standard right found in all societies?

BONO: I think I always knew that press freedom wasn't a given in most places, but the time it really came home to me was during the break up of Bosnia and the siege of Sarejevo. So many journalists lost their lives by design not by accident with a stray bullet or shrapnel. Journalists were targeted, bounties put on their head to send a signal to their editors and indeed, families, that this story was too dangerous to cover. Even war criminals were now media savvy and saw the media in general as another kind of front line.

WAN: Why is press freedom essential when talking about subjects such as HIV/AIDS?

BONO: AIDS is the worst pandemic in 600 years. People need to know about it to avoid becoming one of the statistics. Even in the poorest places I've been to, someone, somewhere has access to a radio. The media is our messenger, a modern-day town-crier. China is an example of what happens when there is a conspiracy of silence through censorship. HIV spread like wildfire through certain regions because no one knew about it. A million people with HIV, and only now it gets in the national papers.

The media need to be telling the truth about what's going on. Exposing the myths, like the one in Southern Africa where men believe that sex with virgins will cure them of HIV.

But the press have a much greater role than educating individuals about their own risk. We need a global response to AIDS that matches the scale of the crisis, including the funds to pay for it. Experts think we need about $15bn a year to fight AIDS. We're only one-third of the way there, and while we're moving in the right direction, our pace is far too slow.

WAN: Can you give an example of how countries with a greater degree of press freedom are more successful in promoting awareness about HIV/AIDS and retarding the spread of the disease?

BONO: In the 1980s, when AIDS was discovered in Europe and America, it started hitting the headlines. There were some very dramatic awareness campaigns funded by governments which the press took to the public. The basic message: sex without a condom isn't worth it. Condom sales shot up and HIV rates went down. Brazil would be another example. Uganda is interesting, because the press there does face censorship, but HIV rates have dropped dramatically, from 15% to 5%. President Museveni made fighting AIDS a government priority, and the media was used as a tool to implement it. That's not an argument for state-controlled media -- which is in the interest of the state, but totally against the interests of the people it is supposed to serve -- but it shows the importance of political leadership when it comes to fighting AIDS.

WAN: You tend to draw upon personal stories rather than relying purely on statistics when bringing attention to HIV/AIDS. Why have you chosen this approach?

BONO: People say the facts speak for themselves, but they don't. If you throw out a load of huge numbers, people glaze over, including me. To engage people, you have to bring the statistics of death to life. The fact that prevalence rates have stabilized at 20 percent in Zambia doesn't mean much to anyone. But if you explain that for want of a couple of 50 cent injections, a young pregnant mother is giving HIV to her baby during birth when the only thing she wants for her child is the gift of life -- that hits home. There's a hospital in Lilongwe, Malawi, our party visited where people were literally queuing up to die of AIDS in an orderly fashion, to lie down three to a bed, two on top and one underneath. Words cannot describe this sight...God's creation, rid of all dignity. And yet, this is some mother's son, some son's mother and you know that but for an accident of geography if you were HIV positive, this would be you...everyone can understand that feeling.

WAN: How can this approach in turn be adopted by newspapers to help raise awareness and educate people on the disease?

BONO: As I say, good journalists make statistics get up and walk and talk. In the age of communication I have a microphone, the press have a megaphone...We need to get these people's stories out there, not just the sob stories, but also the success stories, the ones that never get told. I've met people from South Africa to Ethiopia doing extraordinary things, living proof that with the right support, AIDS does not have to be a death sentence. The view that AIDS is hopeless is part of the problem. The media need to challenge the stigma associated with it. Why would a person go and get tested if all they get given is a badge of shame? HIV is a virus, not an open invitation to judgement, but in too many places, rich and poor, that's what it has become.

The Paris-based WAN, the global organisation for the newspaper industry, defends and promotes press freedom world-wide. It represents 18,000 newspapers; its membership includes 72 national newspaper associations, individual newspaper executives in 101 countries, 13 news agencies and nine regional and world-wide press groups. More on WAN and details of the whole interview with Bono here www.wan-press.org

I am amazed that this last question of the interview is not included on U2.com.

WAN: You?ve never been afraid to take a stand on what some consider sensitive issues. Can you describe what sparked your devotion to take up Africa?s cause?

Bono: I first went to Africa, to Ethiopia to work in a feeding station following Live Aid in 1985. One summer that stayed with me for a lifetime. But I don?t see Africa as a cause. To me, this whole thing is about justice. The fact that 6,300 people die in Africa everyday of AIDS, a preventable treatable disease, for lack of drugs that we take for granted in Europe and America - that?s about justice, not charity. That we hold children to ransom for the debts of their great great grandparents is not a charity issue, it?s a justice issue. That we won?t let the poorest of the poor put their products on our shelves yet we flood their markets with ours? This is about justice. DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa), the organization I work with, takes that as the starting point.

It?s an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly. This should be seen as the most incredible, historic opportunity but instead it?s become a millstone around our necks. We let our own pathetic excuses about how it?s ?difficult? justify our own inaction. Let?s be honest. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don?t have is the will, and that?s not a reason that history will accept.

I've been sharing it with everyone.

It?s an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly.

This is something that we should all put an effort in.

Or as Bono also says this is something we cant afford not to be apart of .. and he is very right and in it's simpicity there is soemthing we can all do..

I am glad to hear Bono calling on the media to do what they do best and bring the story's to life as they should..
I relise media is about selling newspaper etcc.. however when Aids stories and the stories of teh thrid world are being pushed back to put celebrities on the cover what does that message send. Editors chose what we see and read and maybe they are misjudging us by telling us we would rather read about American Idol then the 6000 plus that lose their lives everyday.. are they right .. NO I dont think so at least I hope not becasue if there right we have to realize our desensitzed nature is costing people's lives .. Bono is right we need to get these amazing stories out of the victories that are being won as well as what we have to do to turn the tide on this..
The media has this wonderful opportunity .. think about 10 years from now if you must and what the headlines may read if we continue to turn our back on this .. we really need to bring out the drama and make it hit home for people .. we really cant afford for it not to and I know I won't accept a history that says we didnt do everything we possible can.. from all the lesson we have learned and the lessons we preach we all need to do what we can.. and their is a urgency to doing that , we must no underestimate.. does that sound preachey .. well I dunno but what I know is 100 names on a petition across Canada is simply not good enough and the response out of the States is not good enough .. yes we are doing something but our promise far out weigh our action thast what angers me most of all...
don't understimate what one person can do .. you might not think it's alot but you know it's something and thats all anyone can ask.. if you can't do anything else and you pray.. then say a prayer .. I dont think thats to hard

This is a GREAT interview with Bono!:wink:

Everything he says is true and comes STRAIGHT FROM HIS HEART!

This man is FULL OF PASSION - for music and for social justice, especially for Africa.

THANK YOU, BONO, SIMPLY FOR BEING YOU! AND THANK GOD FOR BRINGING YOU HERE IN OUR LIFETIME!:wink:

PEACE AND LOVE....WITH JUSTICE.

When I read Bono's words I'm always near to tears!
:(
I like the way he can describe such important issues. And I like the fact he goes from a part of the world to the opposite one just to raise awareness and make people understand that we must ACT!

Bono is 100% correct.

Aids/poverty is something we can not ignore. Our future generations will judge us very harshly and rightfully so.

Personally, I would love to see more media coverage on the issues that Bono campaigns for. Perhaps if we had a nightly dose of the heart wrenching images that Bono describes. The world community would be moved to do much more.

But, unfortunately Aids/poverty, has been placed on the back burner.

P.s. You know what is really sad. I have to get all my information about Africa on the internet. Including great websites like this one, where I can chat with compassionate people who really care about these issues. When it really should be front page news, world wide.

Geez, the one about Bono saying something about giving a young pregnet lady's child the gift of life, emotionally touched me!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom