(05-04-2004) Rumor: U2 Bringing on 'Winter'? -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Rumor: U2 Bringing on 'Winter'?

DJ Uncle Joe Benson of Los Angeles' classic rock station Arrow 93.1 recently reported that the forthcoming U2 album may be called "Winter." Benson acknowledged that there has been no official word on the title but the semi-official buzz on "Winter" is strong.

As always, for updates on U2's next album, stay tuned to Interference.com.

Thanks to Uncle Joe!!

:huh: "Winter"???????..What a lame title that would be.I would prefer "Solar" if it was between the 2 of them.

If it's "Winter",you can forget the Portugal swimming pool for the album cover,then:wink:

Cigar said:
:huh: "Winter"???????..What a lame title that would be.I would prefer "Solar" if it was between the 2 of them.

If it's "Winter",you can forget the Portugal swimming pool for the album cover,then:wink:

well that swiming pool was empty...

i think this report is bogus, though. wasn't winter mentioned as one of the bogus names in the where the album has no name forum a few days ago? maybe this DJ's just a jackass and read it like it was fact.

I think the keywords here are " may be."
"May be" Anton will add some fake snow in that pool
in the studio.
Hmm....Uncle Joe Benson? I have one of this guy's books
on rock groups. Let's see...if I was to ignore all of his mistakes,
typos, and facts wrongs, it's a really credible source book.
Obvisously, the dude wants to get his name in the press.
I guess his last book didn't sell to well.
"May be" the title of "Winter" is just as accurate as his books
are?

Interesting. I once had the idea to give an album the title "Winter"... but then I realized I wasn't in a rock band. But if U2 want it, more power to em. :wink:

I just can't believe that they haven't agreed with the title,yet.Universal most have it by now if they want to begin preparation for making the promotion posters.

Last edited:
Cigar said:
I just can't believe that they haven't agreed with the title,yet.Universal most have it by now if they want to begin preparation for making the promotion posters.

It's very possible they have agreed on a title and just haven't publicized it. It's also possible that the album is still untitled, and won't be until the album is done, and the band is able to vibe on it to get a feel for what to call it.

The main thing here is that this is a RUMOR we have heard, and are therefore reporting it to you guys to give you something to debate, chew on and in some cases, spit out. Do I believe the album is called "Winter" ? Nope. Do I enjoy hearing rumors since there is a lack of solid U2 news other than Portugal? Yep.

Have fun with it guys, and remember to smile. At least we know an album is coming.

I don't think it said anywhere that Uncle Joe stated this as fact...the quote says "may be called" and "no official word."

And no, Joe Benson is not some jackass who wants to get his name in the news...he's an LA radio legend who I have been listening to since I was 10 years old...that would be about 27 years cause I'm old :wink:

*That doesn't mean everything he says is true of course but and this probably IS just a rumor but hey, you never know! :shrug:

I was hoping with all the empty pool pictures it would be call "Standing in the Deep End". :|

p.s
Winter is kind of lame.

"Hanover Quay" would be a good choice since it would be the last album recorded in that studio.

Last edited:
I don't think Winter is a good name because:

It's a dumb name for a tour when you go out in the spring and summer.

It will only invite rude 'age' jokes from people who call them old, over the hill, 'winter' of their lives, etc.

I still think whoever started the Solar rumor made this up.

But at this point I have become skeptical about everything. As it turns out now some of the rumors had a little bit of truth in them, so we'll see.

"Standing in the Deep End" kinda sums up the way many have been feeling about U2's musical directions since "Elevation"!:ohmy:

Just a joke - but a fairly good song title!

Thanks, zoopop, for a bit of humor!:wink:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY!

If U2 want to call in Winter... fine with me. To me, they can freakin call it whatever they want.

Can you imagine if there were boards around when the Beatles where coming out with a new album?

News! There's a rumor the new Album will be called, "White" or something like that.

Jee, that sounds lame. :huh:

Winter sounds like a cool name (no pun intended).

Winter is a season where the leave are stripped bear, of all they wear. Do I care? :|

yeah, i too could care less what they name it. they can name it "we love the chicago cubs" and id still buy it, but then just disregard the title of the album. having the rumors around is cool and means stuff is going to do down soon...

i dont mind winter as a name either, just for the record.

The new album isnt going to simply be called Winter. Winter may be in the title however. Also, just because they had a photo shoot in the swimming pool doesnt mean that the shoot was for the cover or that the shoot will even end up being used. Of course, its possible its the cover but they shoot tons of photos in MANY different locations. You have to remember the CD inserts, promotional posters, press release photos, etc. Look at all the photos Anton took for Acthung Baby and the transformations the photo work went through for that album. Things are starting to take shape but I dont think the kind of details we are talking about here have been completely decided or completed at this stage.

Winter would be OK, but then I'd wonder why they called it that. "Are they planning for this to be the end?" I would ask.

Rachel D. said:
Winter would be OK, but then I'd wonder why they called it that. "Are they planning for this to be the end?" I would ask.

Yeah that's what I was talking about, it evokes images of old age and the end of their career. That's why I don't think they'd do it. Of course they can call it anything they want. But I'm guessing not.

Winter could be a symbol that it is the end for the band....but titles don't mean anything.

With technology the way it is now I think they could leave the naming of the album a lot later then in previous years.

Well I'm downloading Gigs of U2 live SHN audio files, so I think I can survive till August when the Demo's will most likely come out, then the single in September.

When we do find out the title will this forum have to be named Where the album HAS a name again?;)

WHYWHY said:
What's wrong with Winter?

But yah, I doubt it will happen... it's prob just a rumour like everything else basically :p

Which is why we are calling it a Rumor to begin with and naming the source of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom