(05-03-2004) Bono lined up to head African drive - The Scotsman*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Singer lined up to head African drive

ALISON HARDIE POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

BONO, the charismatic lead singer of the Irish rock bank U2, is being lined up by Tony Blair to lead his drive to end the problems facing Africa. It was revealed last night that the Prime Minister held talks with the singer during a dinner in Dublin at the weekend. If Bono (real name Paul Hewson) agrees to come on board as a figurehead for the Commission for Africa it would be a major coup for Downing Street.

Influential world figures including the Pope and Nelson Mandela have met with Bono and lent their names to his mission to end poverty in Africa by persuading leading nations to write off the debts owed by some of the poorest nations.

Mr Blair is today due to follow up his meeting with Bono at Downing Street when he holds talks on the problems facing Africa. He will chair the first meeting on the Commission for Africa which he launched to help heal "the scar on the conscience of the world".

The Chancellor, Gordon Brown, and Sir Bob Geldof, the Live Aid founder, will also join the talks, which will see the 14 commissioners set out the themes they will address. They are expected to look at the economy, building peace, education and health - including the spread of HIV/AIDS.

The commission will report next spring and present its findings to the G8 summit in July 2005.

Announcing the commission in February, Mr Blair said: "I have decided with others to form a Commission for Africa to take a fresh look at Africa?s past, present and future.

"It will be a comprehensive assessment of the situation in Africa and policies towards Africa.

"What has worked, what has not worked and what more can and should be done."

Mr Blair added: "I have said on many occasions that I believe Africa is the scar on the conscience of the world.

"And I think it is right that we continue to treat this as an absolute priority over the coming years."

Hmmm.. I say I just don't know what to think of this.. I dont mean that in the way of the cause I mean in the way of Bono teaming up with Tony Blair and I guess becasue I think this forum is a very good thing I don't negate that at all and it is needed and I am happy they are doing it .. but I am just wondering what direction Bono is taking.. I have seen the policy maker and politicians etc start off on me good paths and do some good things which Bono has been apart of and which I think is fantastic .. Where I am worried or where I see this emergency lacking is in engaging the public and this has been something Bono has spoke about .. about bringing out the drama .. I think Bono is very capable of being in the corridor of power and holding his own.. he is an intelligent man who does his home work .. but it's also time to bang the dust bins and it takes ordinary citizens to do that and to stand up for this emergency
Talking shops and statistical analysis and small victories, which are the order of the day, they won?t bring the general public along for the ride, and we need the general public along for this ride, because without them the overall pie is not going to get any bigger. Bono 2004
I am sure Bono knows what he is doing and what is gonna work best for him but given that I suppose we have to step up to the plate and bring out the drama to engage ordinary citizens.. I know thats not Bono's job but he is fantastic at motivating and inspiring and bringing the drama .. I guess I got to wrapped up in that Bono to see the difference he makes on a political scale as well ... I just hope he doesnt spread himself to thin ..

Thank you, Katey, for your imsights. I, too, am concerned that international leaders, organizations, the media and the public keep laying the responsibility of the struggle for Africa's future on Bono's doorstep.:ohmy:

I have said this many times before - when do WE (as concerned global citizens, concerned global leaders, the media and the public - including U2's fans/followers) take up the struggle for Africa's Future AS OUR OWN?:scratch:

Laying the responsibility for Africa's Future on Bono's shoulders is one that he will accept because he cares SO DEEPLY for the Mother Continent of Humanity - but IT IS UNFAIR TO BONO!!:yes:

He is one man and can only do so much by himself - what he needs to be successful is the ACTIVE PARTICIPATION OF ALL OF US to secure a positive future for Africa!:up:

I know I am one of those on the front lines of activism for Africa's Future and so is Katey and I encourage ALL of our Interference family to GET MORE INVOLVED in this struggle so that we can have our Rock star back for awhile and enjoy Bono (and U2) with their music!;) ;)

PEACE AND LOVE.:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

And I think it is right that we continue to treat this as an absolute priority over the coming years."

Mr Blair where is the sense of urgency.. this needs to be a priority right now... in the coming years yes as well but right now step up to the plate

Jamila thanks for your kind words.. you and I know there are a bunch of great people out there and many in Interference that do what we can to make a difference..as Koffin Annan says "we all can't do the same thing but we all, can do something "

Katey said:
Hmmm.. I say I just don't know what to think of this.. I dont mean that in the way of the cause I mean in the way of Bono teaming up with Tony Blair and I guess becasue I think this forum is a very good thing I don't negate that at all and it is needed and I am happy they are doing it .. but I am just wondering what direction Bono is taking.. I have seen the policy maker and politicians etc start off on me good paths and do some good things which Bono has been apart of and which I think is fantastic .. Where I am worried or where I see this emergency lacking is in engaging the public and this has been something Bono has spoke about .. about bringing out the drama .. I think Bono is very capable of being in the corridor of power and holding his own.. he is an intelligent man who does his home work .. but it's also time to bang the dust bins and it takes ordinary citizens to do that and to stand up for this emergency

I am sure Bono knows what he is doing and what is gonna work best for him but given that I suppose we have to step up to the plate and bring out the drama to engage ordinary citizens.. I know thats not Bono's job but he is fantastic at motivating and inspiring and bringing the drama .. I guess I got to wrapped up in that Bono to see the difference he makes on a political scale as well ... I just hope he doesnt spread himself to thin ..

Hi Katey. We seem to think quite similarly about Bono. I tend to feel hesitation when I hear something like this, too. I often wonder if Bono is spreading himself thin, going too far, doesn't know what he's doing. I think perhaps he might be losing sight of things a little. He's getting into places he never intended to go.

Jamila, I agree that I think they're laying too much on Bono's doorstep. It kind of makes me:mad:

Thanks, Soul Always, for your support!

I REALLY wish that Bono would start saying "NO" more often to EVERYONE who comes knocking at his door for something.:ohmy:

I think that would increase certain people's level of Respect for the inherent POWER that Bono has in his Spirit to motivate positive changes in the world.

BONO - start saying "NO" more often to the politicos and start saying "YES" more often to those of us who you say you want to build your grassroots movement for Africa!

WE ARE WHERE YOUR REAL POWER LIES!:wink:

PEACE AND LOVE....with JUSTICE.

Back
Top Bottom