(04-20-2003) Bono: Found What He's Looking For - TIME *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.time.com/

Found What He's Looking For
By JOSH TYRANGIEL

901030428cov_white.gif

He admits he is driven by guilt. As the world's biggest rock star ? and a deeply religious Catholic ? there are many days when Bono simply can't stand the breadth of his good fortune. "I have so much more than is rational," he says. "I kind of figure ? I owe."

So Bono started paying off his debt in 1984, when U2 played in Band Aid and later Live Aid, Bob Geldof's Ethiopian famine-relief efforts. While many acts moved on to the next cause, Bono and his wife spent six weeks in Wello, Ethiopia, working at an orphanage. "You'd walk out of your tent," he recalls, "and count bodies of dead and abandoned children." The memory stayed with him through 1999, when he joined the Jubilee 2000 movement, which aimed to get wealthy nations to erase the public debt of 52 of the world's poorest countries, most in Africa.

At first, Bono's fame was merely a convenience; leaders ? and often their children ? wanted to meet the rock star. As former U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill says, "I thought he was just some pop star who wanted to use me." But after a half-hour introductory session went on to 90 minutes, O'Neill changed his mind. "He's a serious person. He cares deeply about these issues, and you know what? He knows a lot about them." The two toured the globe together last year debating the best course for Africa's future ? more public aid or more private investment.

With the founding of DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa), Bono is now Africa's best voice in the developed world. (Bill Clinton comes in a close second.) He can open any door ? the Vatican, the White House ? and his pitch eschews emotion for realpolitik.

He won't discuss the current war, but he will talk about preventing the next ones. "There are potentially another 10 Afghanistans in Africa," he says, "and it is cheaper by a factor of 100 to prevent the fires from happening than to put them out. Look, I know how absurd it is to have a rock star talk about debt relief or HIV/AIDS in Africa. But if not me, who?"

Thank you, Allegra!

Last edited:
He's actually Charasmatic Christian isn't he? I get the feeling that the interviewer may have messed up on that one, mistakingly believing that Irish means Catholic automatically. It's amazing how many people think that way.

His father was Catholic, his mother was Protestant.

Since his mother died when he was young, I figure that his father's religion had more of an influence on him.

madamc said:
His father was Catholic, his mother was Protestant.

Since his mother died when he was young, I figure that his father's religion had more of an influence on him.

well he said that he was protestant though...i think the interviewer messed it up. He said after his mom died his house wasn't a home anymore..i dont think he took on his father religion then..

I agree with U2luv the writer probably assumed irish=catholic

AdamsMango said:

well he said that he was protestant though...i think the interviewer messed it up. He said after his mom died his house wasn't a home anymore..i dont think he took on his father religion then..

I agree with U2luv the writer probably assumed irish=catholic

Yes, you are correct. Bono's father said in interviews that Bono and his brother were raised Protestant.

People assume Irish people are Catholic. It's funny sometimes. I used to have a friend from Belfast who was Protestant. He was frequently asked 'how does it feel to be Catholic".... and he'd say "I'm not".

:bono: :edge: :adam: :larry:

I believe Bono has made his peace with both sides of his Christian heritage, and in a broader sense with his Christianity in general, and I believe this occured long ago in a land known as the 1980s . I do not believe he is too much of a judging man except to judge what he believes is right or wrong, but I'll let him say that for himself , if you know what I mean. Calling him Catholisc or Protestant may just both be right or both wrong, only Bono knows, but I do know nobody likes to be told who they are by strangers, no matter how much we may love him.
Anyway, as a half-Irish American(as if you wanted to know about me) who grew up in a Catholic/Protestant household myself I can easily consider myself both depending on the situation, in fact I believe my Christianity is in a place beyond the confines of both brackets and that the general arguments above about which one Bono is or isn't, is in some ways driven by the desire to claim him as one of your own . I mean does it really matter if he's one or the other at this point, i.e. World's biggest Rockstar/Activist/Hero and also a husband and father in his forties. He is still, at least in some part, a christian , and after all he's been through could many of us say the same...

Last edited:
bono is a christian

bono is a confessed born again, spirit -filled , non-denominational christian. and in fact hates the idea of "religion" , but rather loves faith.

Re: bono is a christian

BOYO3221 said:
bono is a confessed born again, spirit -filled , non-denominational christian. and in fact hates the idea of "religion" , but rather loves faith.

yes but to say he is "a deeply religious Catholic" would really be false. He was raised protestant so thats more what the author should be saying

first thing i thought when i read that was whoops they said he's catholic...

i agree with "thelemonbono"....does it really matter if he's a catholic or not (although the article made a mistake)... at the end it's all about faith in God and that's what matters. (at least to me anyways....)

Re: bono is a christian

BOYO3221 said:

Which is something I find cool-except for the born again part, that's the way I am as well. I like that he's not preachy with his spiritual beliefs-he's not like those religious zealots. That's great.

Angela

BORN AGAIN means: being born of the spirit . in John 3:3 "No one can see the kingdom of heaven unless he is born again"...in laymans terms........If you confess with your mouth that jesus is lord and believe in your heart that god raised him from the dead, you shall have everlasting life!. This is the way the bible says to have eternal life and be reunited with god again , from which we were seperated from him by adams sin. That is why it is called the good news, god has sent jesus to reconcile us with him a free gift with no rules just believe he is lord and confess with your mouth thats it , no rules, no nothing. just god's love...Religion has made this simple fact complicated and lost by saying "being a good person " gets you to heaven , which is a total lie, it is simply a free gift , if you just believe by faith. Thus , those who believe in their heart and have confessed jesus as their lord and saviour are "born again" such is Bono, Edge, Larry

Back
Top Bottom