(04-19-2004) 50 Bands That Changed the World! -- Q *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://images.q4music.com/content/issues/cover.jpg[/SIMG]
50 Bands That Changed the World!

Not to be outdone by Rolling Stone's recent "Immortals" issue, the editors of Q magazine have ranked the 50 Bands That Changed the World. U2 is number 24 and earned a three-page feature and two-page photo spread on its early '90s reinvention.

Of the band, Q writes:

"As Adam Clayton once said, 'U2 were never any good in clubs.' Rising to the challenge of US stadium tours made them great, and transformed their sound from wiry post-punk angst (War, October) to widescreen rush (The Joshua Tree). But it was with the brain-melting Zoo TV tour that U2 redefined what a stadium rock band could be. Less ego inflating jerking off, more multimedia extravaganza."

Other bands of U2-note on the list include: Brian Eno's Roxy Music (50); rumored-Achtung Baby muses My Bloody Valentine (48); Bono favorites Abba (41); U2 friends REM (20) and Public Enemy (19); and band heroes The Ramones (17).

Also included in the list are picks from musicians on the bands who changed their worlds. Starsailor's James Walsh selected U2 and said:

"U2 were the band that opened the door to music for me. I'd seen clips of them playing live when I was 11 which made me stop and draw breath. It was incredible to see someone putting so much emotion into their performances. I remember we had a footstool in our house that I used to pretend was a stage, I used to stand on it and pretend to be Bono."

Two surprises on this list, The Clash did not rank and The Beatles were not number one. The 50 Bands That Changed the World! list is in the May issue of Q, available now.

http://www.q4music.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if the Beatles are not number one (and high time, I would say) who are? And how on earth are REM ranked so much higher tha U2? I like them, but that's nuts.

I'm obviously the only one awake here, so sorry for the typo. Also, if Nirvana is anywhere in the top ten (or even 20) I will spew, with justification.
Of course all of these lists are nonsense, and no reason for getting irked, but one is only human, isn't one dear? (I used to like Q.)

More to the point, Q used to like U2. This is proof that there has been WAY to much time between albums. It makes me sad. :sad:

totally. who is REM anyway (just kidding) but that is ridiculous. almost makes me as mad as the fact the Clash didn't make it. half the people on the list world's were changed by the clash. if Nirvana is at number 1 i will have lost all faith in public opinion of music.

huh, as if the Darkness hitting gold wasn't enough to do that.

Hello Angel, thanks. How do I do that? (Edit, I mean.)
With regard to this topic, I wonder if they really mean "bands" only, or more generally, performing artists. I could live with Elvis at #1.

i just checked out a copy of Q at tower records.
a few things that struck me:
first of all, U2 were definitely not rated highly enough on the list.
however, if you didn't look at the numbers, you would've thought U2 were #1.
they were shown on the cover (Bono).
they were the sole lead photo on the table of contents (Bono in bathtub).
and they were given 4 pages solely devoted to them within the listing of the top 50.
no other band on the list got more than one page.
maybe this means Q doesn't think much of U2, but they still think pretty highly of U2 fans--i.e.--they know U2 are the band with fans most likely to buy the magazine.
anyway, these are the top 3 on Q's list:
1. sex pistols
2. beatles
3. nirvana

Remember, this is a completely subjective list and the magazine was looking for moments within the careers of individual bands that had a lasting impact. Ranking the '90s re-invention of U2 is not a slight against U2 or anything the band has done before or since. Considering that The Clash, who so many bands of all flavors call out as a major influence, isn't listed at all, I think 24 for U2 is very good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom