(04-04-2003) Bono Confirms Lopez Duet For Charity - New York Daily News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J.Lo is far worse than Justin, IMO. Justin is quite good actually...even tho it's super-commercial, the songs are not bad. That can't be said of J.Lo. She's probably the worst artist out there right now.

U2FReAk said:
J.Lo is far worse than Justin, IMO. Justin is quite good actually...even tho it's super-commercial, the songs are not bad. That can't be said of J.Lo. She's probably the worst artist out there right now.

Tell that to a hispanic teenage girl in NYC. You may not have your nuts too long after. She's seen as a role model.

It's sad if anyone hold her as a role-model.. She only got where she is today by looking good and half-decent acting skills. Sad indeed that they don't have any other strong woman who actually accomplished something, to look up to.

U2FReAk said:
It's sad if anyone hold her as a role-model.. She only got where she is today by looking good and half-decent acting skills. Sad indeed that they don't have any other strong woman who actually accomplished something, to look up to.

It may be sad, but you still wouldn't have your nuts.

Jonny Rottin' said:
Next he'll be doing Avril Lavigne covers.

I know. I mean, he sang with BoyGeorge back in 1984 on Band Aid, then right after that U2 released "The Unforgettable Fire", and you can hear the Culture Club influence all over that album.

i suppose you could say he's already sang with her, as she sings one line in "what's going on".

speaking of which, if you go to that website, there's a humorous picture of bono with destiny's child.

Well, I am not too happy about this duet with J-Lo. I'm not a huge fan of hers, and I think it makes Bono look out of place, with him singing with a mainstream pop singer, who's music -I find to be- shallow and boring. Yes, it is for charity, and that's a good thing, and I support that. I'm just not too crazy about it being with Jennifer Lopez.

I am not going to viciously ignore the song, or be anxious to hear it. I just won't care one way or the other. I'll just be waiting for the next U2 album to come out, with some meaningful songs to listen to.
But then again, it may sound actually sound interesting with Bono doing a pop/hip-hop/dance (whichever category the song would fall into) song. Maybe it would sound better with him singing on it!

I wouldn't worry about Bono pairing up with J-Lo. He's hung around with people who he didn't seem to belong with, like Grace Jones, Axl Rose. He likes to mingle with just about everybody, like he sees the best in people, or something.

I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad as it sounds
Perle

Last edited:
Oh well......my hope that this was a rumor turns out otherwise.
It's for charity. That's good.
But......J LO?????????? I'm surprised her royal highness allowed
to have someone else sing a duet with her.
Hopefully, Bono will drown out her screaming.......er......singing.
Guess it could be worse. Bono could've done a duet with Britney
I can't even lip sync right Spears. :p

:wave: Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
:sigh: I think people are taking this way too personally...Like it was some kind of personal attack against his fans because he is doing this. So what, he's doing a song with her, I don't really see what the big deal is. I think she has a okay voice (just sings bad songs), who knows, maybe this won't be as apocolyptic as many of you are saying.

This is worse then the people that got pissed because Justin Timberlake said in an interview once that he liked U2's music. Personally I think it's horrible that so many of you are quick to be the judge jury and executioner of what the man choses to do with his career.

Screaming Flower said:
bono is smart enough to know that if he really wants to raise more money for charity - it's a good plan to duet with someone commercial and popular like j-lo. love her or hate her, she brings in the cash. and cash is what DATA needs. it's the end rather than the means. i think it's good that he's putting his heart ahead of his ego.

This is right along the lines of what I was thinking.He's a smart man and I dont really think he just woke up one day and thought "man I have to work with Jennifer Lopez"...than again who knows. He is going to collaborate with whoever he wants to and for whatever reason whether we all approve or not. While I'm not all that fond of JLO and am not overly excited or enthused about the pairing I'm going to wait until the song is released to form my opinion on whether it was a good move or not.

lopez4.jpg
:ohmy:

Oh my! I might sound terribly stupid, but I cannot for the life of me find that article on the link you provided. :(

really, please do calm down. I'm somewhat disappointed bono did a duet w/lopez, but we'll see what the single sounds like. Its gotta be OK since bono's singing!

A duet with just j.lo is different than collaborating with a lot of different artists on the one song like Bono has done in the past. Like with the 'what's going on' single, Bono had a pretty small part in that. It wasn't really *his* song. With this duet, he won't be so inconspicuous. And, cos there is so much interest in j.lo - cos she is so pretty, and going out with ben affleck and all - the song is going to get a lot more attention than his duet with Wyclef Jean. I hope the song is good.

Bono's smart to team up with somebody like J-Lo who is so popular right now...that could really help to boost sales and earn money for the charity.

I mean...look at how much attention just the mention of J-Lo gets. The first thread that mentioned this got a ton of replies and was so heated that it got closed. Now...once again...a thread with tons of replies.

Look through the News forum...most threads don't get many, if any, replies.

Face it, J-Lo attracts attention. For something involving a charity...that is a very good thing.

hey bono knows what hes doing hes getting across both side of music so fans could open there eyes and do the right thing
beside is not like is going to be in new u2 hard rock album thats coming out and i thing jlo is a peac of ass }>:)

Screaming Flower said:
bono is smart enough to know that if he really wants to raise more money for charity - it's a good plan to duet with someone commercial and popular like j-lo. love her or hate her, she brings in the cash. and cash is what DATA needs. it's the end rather than the means. i think it's good that he's putting his heart ahead of his ego.

Well said Screaming Flower :applaud: :applaud: :up:

Gickies Gageeze said:

hell no.

this is the worst thing ever to happen to u2. im not surprised most ofyou dismiss this as being ok, its typical of blind faith in any person or band.

i couldnt care less if this was for charity or not, this is rediculous. as someone else already said, there are many other artists he could have collaberated with.

instead, he chose a skank. may as well get together with justin timberlake and brittany spears for his next project and do a little dance number! how exciting! how lame.

bono, SMARTEN UP OLD BOY.

uhhhhh, in case you have forgotten, Bono has already gotten together with justin timberlake and britney spears for the What's Going On single.

I have to admit, I was slightly appalled by the news of him working with j. lo, as I am not a fan, but whether you like her or not she has a big fan base and since this is a charity single, I am sure Bono realized that her participation in such a project will be beneficial for whatever the charity is.

Much like his lobbying conservative politicians for aid in Africa, Bono realizes that getting the message across is more important than image. I commend him for not being a music snob and doesn't limit the people he works with, especially when it's for charity.

Websters New World dictionary:
GENIUS:
n. the special power of mind or the special ability that shows itself in the GREATEST artist, writers, sicentists, etc. :edge: :adam: :larry: :bono:
2. a person who has such ability:bono:
3. any person who has such ability.(a genius for making
friends) :bono:
4. a spirit that was believed by ancient Romans to watch over a
person or place.
5. a person who has great power over another for good or evil.
6. the special nature or spirit of a nation, time.
No need to wonder why he does the things he does. He knows exactly why he doing this. He's on a mission. :angel:

Last edited:
Note.(im just sharing my thoughts so plese dont get affended) only the women here think its ok for bono to sing with jlo.
whats going on had people from rock r&b and pop but this is only jlo and dr dre on the controls.i think its a slap to the faces of u2 fans(i know its for a good cause but u2 could just go on tour and give the money to what ever charity they want.)
i know alot of people will buy this but some will not and im one of them , ya ill listen to it but its just going to be some sweet pop bullshit. bono is just helping the pop music, he should work with some rock bands, there are alot of young rock bands around that could use some help not jlo.
im ashamed, of what bono is doing at least its not u2 but still this is very sad news in the rock world.
i think edge ,larry and even adam have to have a serious talk with bono.
i personally did not like u2s new album(its alright) and the kind of songs they are making so i took a break and got back to the roots and started listening to led zeppelin.
no this.this is not an attack on bono im a big fan of his and the band but i just dont feel good about this :(
i was looking fore some new u2 songs that rocked but here is bono doing it allover again.oh well. i hope bono gets what wants or what a waste.
i now feel very ill.
now im going to see The song remains the same(led zeppelin concert) hey girls check it out what a rock band what guitars what a voice.
mods plese dont get mad im a old member of interference and i just had to let all this anger out.i still like u2 and im looking forward to their next album(when ever they get it done).
oh i should get ready for all the people i have told that i love u2 and they rock, when thoes people find out about this they will make fun of me :(. oh well.

MrBrau1 said:

I know. I mean, he sang with BoyGeorge back in 1984 on Band Aid, then right after that U2 released "The Unforgettable Fire", and you can hear the Culture Club influence all over that album.

That is so silly I'm not even sure if you are just kidding. :huh:

For the record though, "The Unforgettable Fire" came out BEFORE Bono sang in Band Aid with Boy George.

Gickies Gageeze said:

may as well get together with justin timberlake and brittany spears for his next project and do a little dance number! how exciting! how lame.

bono, SMARTEN UP OLD BOY.

umm, Bono DID collaborate with Justin Timberlake as well the rest of N'stink, and Brittney as well. It was called "What's Going On" :wave:

Gickies Gageeze said:

hell no.

this is the worst thing ever to happen to u2. im not surprised most ofyou dismiss this as being ok, its typical of blind faith in any person or band.

i couldnt care less if this was for charity or not, this is rediculous. as someone else already said, there are many other artists he could have collaberated with.

instead, he chose a skank. may as well get together with justin timberlake and brittany spears for his next project and do a little dance number! how exciting! how lame.

GICKIES,

RELAX! AS SOMEONE WHO IS VERY OBJECTIVE AND EVEN CYNICAL TOWARD SOME OF THE RECENT MOVES MADE BY U2, THIS ONE IS NOT AS BAD AS I FIRST THOUGHT.

WE ALL ARGUED AND PANICED LAST WEEK WHEN THE STORY FIRST BROKE. NOW I FEEL A SLIGHT SENSE OF RELIEF KNOWING THAT AT LEAST THE DUET IS FOR CHARITY.

LOOK, I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY COLLABERATION W/LOPEZ IS DUBIOUS AT BEST. HOWEVER, BONO IS A SHREWD MAN AND HE REALIZES THAT A DUET W/HER MAY PRODUCE MORE $ FOR CHARITY THAN A DUET W/SOMEBODY ELSE.

HelloAngel said:
http://www.nydailynews.com/

BONO AND Dr. Dre were among the dozen friends who flew to Aspen for the 50th-birthday party thrown for Interscope honcho Jimmy Iovine at the Aspen Mountain Club. Bono told pals that he's very grateful to Oprah Winfrey, who we hear sent a six-figure check to his foundation, DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade in Africa). The U2 rocker also says that he's remixing the charity single he recorded with Jennifer Lopez - due out in the summer...

What section and what edition of the Daily News did you get this from? Just curious.......thanks!

If it's anywhere near as good as Bono's duet with Sinead O' Connor, I'll be happy. 'I'm Not Your Baby' is fantastic.

As far as Bono and JLo go, I don't see the big deal. Some people are soooo conservatively minded when it comes to music. If their favourite band steps out of the box they've builty for them, suddenly it's the end of all "credibility". Some of us need to relax! It's just music, and it's a charity single. She would offer a totally differnent demographic with which for Bono to work. It's a smart idea for a charity single. It's not supposed to be the re-invention of the musical wheel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom