(03-31-2004) "Joshua Tree" To Be Recreated Live in Toronto - Modern Classics Live*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(03-31-2004) "Joshua Tree" To Be Recreated Live in Toronto - Modern Classics Live*

"Joshua Tree" To Take The Stage Once Again!

On Thursday, April 8, 2004, various top-notch Toronto musicians will recreate U2's mega-blockbuster album "The Joshua Tree" live at the Phoenix Concert Theatre in Toronto. Below is a press release we have received about the eagerly awaited Modern Classics Live series.

?Modern Classics Live? to Rock Toronto

TORONTO, ON - February 23, 2004 - Beginning next month, the highly anticipated Modern Classics Live concert series will be rocking Toronto audiences at the Phoenix Concert Theatre on a monthly basis. Conceived by Toronto performer and producer Craig Martin, Modern Classics Live, a spin-off of the hugely popular Classic Albums Live concert series, will offer its audiences stunning live recreations of classic modern albums. Kicking off on Thursday March 11, 2004, with Nirvana?s masterpiece ?Nevermind?, the series will also deliver presentations of U2?s ?The Joshua Tree?, as well as countless other seminal modern albums.

Each Modern Classics Live performance will see the best musicians available recreate the month?s selected album live on stage note for note, cut for cut. ?A musical event like this is unprecedented. We?re treating this the same way an orchestra would perform the works of Mozart,? says Martin. Each album is recreated 100% live. No samples or computers are used during the performance. The result is amazing and it is no wonder that these performances have gotten rave reviews all throughout Toronto.

With the overwhelming response and enthusiasm over the Classic Albums Live series, Modern Classics Live should also prove to be an enormous success. ?What better way to bring people of Toronto together once a month than for music,? asks Martin. ?And with this series we?ll also be accessible to a younger audience. Kids today seek out the cream. They?ll find it here.? Musicians featured in the performances include members of such top Canadian touring acts as Nelly Furtado, David Usher, and The Full Nine.

Modern Classics Live is a must for all music lovers. Presented by 102.1 The Edge, tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster for $12 advance, and $15 at the door. For more information visit www.modernclassicslive.com

Many thanks and best wishes to Dale!

Last edited:
^ you should hear the cheezy commercials for that station!! "Hey it's the edge and you're listening to the edge...actually it's the other way around".... honestly! who comes up with these things?

Well, they're gonna have to have about 27 musicians onstage to do "I Still Havent Found..." alone note for note. Besides, unless they had somebody go into the studio and hear each track separately, there's no way they can hear every single nuance.
And also, some of those sounds can't be replicated by instruments; they're studio effects, such as the drum beat on "Mothers of the Disappeared" where Larry is playing an electronic drum triggering a keyboard.

Besides which, who's gonna be Bono?

Still, I'd love to hear it.:applaud:

These guys do it right.
They did Dark Side of the Moon last year. All live on stage. It was amazing.
They also did Queen's A Night at the Opera.
They get as many musicians as it takes to perfectly recreate it.
This is the real deal!

Dude, I am one of the performers in the set and my one duty during "Mothers..." is the electronic drum beat. I managed to match the sound perfectly by experimenting with running a Boss electronic Percussion device thru my guitar fx - sounds really chilling when you hear it - no kidding.
As for "Still Haven't Found..." we've got 7 onstage for that song and sounds exact! All guitar parts (Four!) are covered and sounds closer to the album version than U2 does live (with all due respect).
Anyone with doubts HAS to check this out - it is truly awesome!
I always dreamed of playing i a U2 tribute band - this is 10 times better! This is NOT a tribute act - it is a presentation and reproduction of an amazing album!

johndavey said:
Dude, I am one of the performers in the set and my one duty during "Mothers..." is the electronic drum beat. I managed to match the sound perfectly by experimenting with running a Boss electronic Percussion device thru my guitar fx - sounds really chilling when you hear it - no kidding.
As for "Still Haven't Found..." we've got 7 onstage for that song and sounds exact! All guitar parts (Four!) are covered and sounds closer to the album version than U2 does live (with all due respect).
Anyone with doubts HAS to check this out - it is truly awesome!
I always dreamed of playing i a U2 tribute band - this is 10 times better! This is NOT a tribute act - it is a presentation and reproduction of an amazing album!

man, that is great. as a musician myself, I really appreciate what I know is alot of hard work on everyone's part to get it right, and while I didn't literally mean 27 musicians, I did mean more than 3 or 4, because of the intricate layering involved in that album.

well, unfortunately unless it's on tv I won't be able to see it, but you guys have my respect for really doing it right, as oppossed to a 4 man cover band.

:bow:

Hey thanks, man! Much appreciate the support - God knows there are more sceptics than supporters. Actually, I was brought in at the last minute to try to fill some the holes. You might actually be able some day to see the show on TV - last month CBC had a 1/2 hour special on the series Venture - it featued promoter Craig Martin in preparation for The Beatles White Album show. I'll stay tuned in case there is another special.
Also, some shows have toured to the states, New York, Bffalo, Rochester, mainly, but - who knows?
Peace!

so i was at the JT live thing..it was ok..

the 7 guys on stage was cool...
some songs they nailed
some were awlful ( but it could have been the p.a or sound guy and not the musicians...?)
most songs were ok
the set after JT was the best tho...

thats my short review of the show...
it didn't sound like an exact recreation of the album...but it was cool to hear the last half of the album live.

sam

p.s. and it wasn't 10x better or better than any tribute band that i have seen. and i have seen a few....it was just different

Man I thought the show was amazing. The musicians definitely pulled it off. It was incredible to see the whole album played live like that. I thought the encores were great too. These guys had it together.

I found what I was looking for on Thursday night at Classic Albums Live. After the hockey game run down to the Phoenix to catch the concert. I really enjoyed the show. I'm a huge U2 fan, and thought the musicians were amazing - the keyboard player was very cute. With concert prices through the roof these days I was excited to have an evening out to listen to some great music and couple for beers for $15 bucks. Hats of to the thems!!

:up: :yes: go for it-johdavey!!!! do it up right!!!! It's Joshua Tree!! i am looking forward to this-good luck! I for one am looking forward to hearing your version of 'Streets....'! Ahh-yeah!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom