(03-30-2003) No Doubt Love U2 - LAUNCH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://launch.yahoo.com/

Hit Singles Going Steady
By Dave DiMartino

Note: I believe this to be a new article as the date on it was 3/30/2003 - so if it's just a reprint and old news, sorry for the redo!

How lucky a girl is Gwen Stefani? Let's see--the platinum-turned-pink-turned-platinum princess of ska-pop has quite a few things going for her right now: She's a style icon whose every fashion endeavor creates a nation of trends, she gets to attend a ton of high-profile and cool Hollywood glitterati events, and she's newly married to Bush's very hunky Gavin Rossdale after years of publicly declaring her desire to settle down with a nice young man. Oh yeah, and she fronts one of modern rock's hottest bands: No Doubt, the little Anaheim, California group-that-could that put out Tragic Kingdom in 1996 and found megasuperstardom shortly thereafter.

More reasons to envy Gwen and her bandmates: No Doubt currently have an explosive record, Rock Steady (the title's a nod to the band's ska roots), they got to go to Jamaica to record it, and they recently rubbed elbows with Bono while opening for U2 on tour. "A Simple Kind Of Life"? Bah--more like "Hey Baby," if you ask us!

LAUNCH's executive editor Dave DiMartino recently made a trip to Las Vegas (not too shabby, either!) to interview No Doubt's Tom Dumont, Adrian Young, Tony Kanal, and, of course, Gwen about their amazing and very UN-tragic kingdom.

An excerpt from the Interview where the band mention U2:

LAUNCH: Are you still capable of being impressed by people you encounter?

ADRIAN: We were impressed every night on the tour with U2. We watched the show every single night, because they're so good and they have so many great songs. Frankly, meeting popular guys like that, I still get really nervous and uncomfortable. I just can't be relaxed and comfortable. I just look at them and I feel like I'm 13 or something. We get really impressed by stars.

TOM: Movie stars are fun. When movie stars come to hang out in your dressing room, it's really weird but fun. [Laughs] They're just normal people too, probably. I imagine they're just the same. The U2 guys, they're really normal and really sweet and nice, but they're definitely up on this higher-level plateau and stuff, and they definitely get my respect.

TONY: I think we're starstruck every night watching those guys onstage. That tour was such an amazing experience for us--we're such huge fans of U2, and I think that they set the standard for being in a rock band. They raise the bar every time by constantly keeping their music fresh and showing that these four musicians can create something bigger than the sum of their parts. And watching them get onstage every night was really inspiring for us. We learned a lot from them on tour. So I'd say we were definitely starstruck every night by those guys, and hanging out with them--it's definitely been a good experience.

GWEN: We're flying on their plane...OK, it says "Elevation Tour" on the side, and we get free food when we go on there and we get free drinks!

LUCKY BASTARDS!!!

No really...I saw the 3rd leg of the Elevation Tour here in Dallas, and I saw No Doubt. It was an awesome evening! I saw two great bands for one low price! It was especially sweet when she reappeared later to sing a duet with Bono for "What's Going On". I was in shock and awe the whole night. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Good times, good times....:heart:

i saw Stereophonix in place of No Doubt on the 3rd leg, they were good, but i much had rather seen No Doubt and the beautiful and HOT Gwen roam the stage like a princess she is.
GrRrrrr..

Back
Top Bottom