(03-26-2003) At Oscars, Bono sneaks in a tuneful war protest - MSNBC *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.msnbc.com/

At the Oscars, a tuneful war protest
With Ashley Pearson- MSNBC

March 26 ? Anti-war agitator Bono didn?t speak out against fighting in Iraq during the Oscars ? but sharp-eared sources realize that he sung his protest.

WHILE PERFORMING their nominated song, ?The Hands That Built America,? U2 slipped in a final verse that isn?t in the standard version. The additional words are clearly a subtle reference to the war. Bono sang: ?Late in the spring,/Yellow cloud on a desert skyline./Some father?s son/Is it his, or is it mine??

I just read that article. I did not hear the Sunday Bloody Sunday drums that someone referred to, but I also did not even pick up on these new lyrics. I guess I was just dumbfounded by U2 playing witht that orchestra during 'Hands.'

I noticed the lyric change and the intro to SBS. I was hoping they would blast into it, but they didn't. The lyric change was very touching to me, as an American who is worried sick about my friends over there and the rest of troops.

i heard the drums. and i noticed the lyrics...and my mom immediatly goes "no, those were the same words from the version you had on the cd player earlier"

to which i answered ha, that was a tape, not a cd...yeah i know...lame...

Caught the drums...that was very cool and very subtle. They got their word in without saying anything. I was hoping for a second that they cut out the second verse of Hands so they could do a little SBS, but obviously that didn't happen.

My take on the meaning of the changed lyrics is that war is tragic and a lot of "father's sons" are going to be killed on both sides. It's pretty much the same meaning as Sunday Bloody Sunday. That may be why the SBS drumbeat was added at the end.

Bono's shades said:
My take on the meaning of the changed lyrics is that war is tragic and a lot of "father's sons" are going to be killed on both sides. It's pretty much the same meaning as Sunday Bloody Sunday. That may be why the SBS drumbeat was added at the end.

Amen.

I definitely caught the changed lyrics and the SBS beat while I was watching the show with a group of friends that had gathered to spend some time with a dear friend on leave from Afghanistan.

I thought the changes were Bono's usual understanding view of the world's complexities. I was very proud.

And yes, my friends gave me grief for the prerecorded opera singing.

Plus that was NOT pre-recorded opera singing you can tell your friend to FUCK OFF! I taped the show and watch the performanc 6 or 7 times already. Its not

am i the only one doesnt think this is was a protest in any way? he changed the words, big deal.

its not like he changed them to "down with america, war is evil. blah blah blah"

in fact, it was nothing near that.

i dont get the fuss, but this is show business i guess.

It's debatable as to whether it was SBS (although I'd like to think it was).

Bono most definitely sang to a backing vocal track on the opera part, just as he did on the Today Show.

Gickies is on track, it's hard to know whether the new lyrics were "pro" or "anti" war. In fact they came off as rather neutral.

gherman said:
Plus that was NOT pre-recorded opera singing you can tell your friend to FUCK OFF! I taped the show and watch the performanc 6 or 7 times already. Its not

gherman,

That tone is not necessary. Bono DID sing along to a backing track - it helped fill out the sound. Whether you choose to believe or accept that is not a reason to use profanity against people.

Do not post in U2News with a negative tone - this subject is NOT something to get worked up about.

I know, I still dont know myself if it was SBS........I could never really pick up that it was until I tried to compare it to the very very beginning of SBS on CD.

I just thought Larry mighta done a quick 'blast of drumming' to really put an end to their song, in a small 'protest' way.

Ach I dunno..........

I think the lyrics mainly mourned the existence of war. War in itself is denounced as evil, but you're right, Bono seemed to be taking into account the complexity of the world situation and simply denounced war and strife in themselves as evil.

Back
Top Bottom