(03-24-2004) U2 Featured in New 'Immortal' Issue of Rolling Stone - Rolling Stone*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://content.rollingstone.com/content/71878/images/00342678.jpg[/SIMG]
U2 are 'Immortal' in Rolling Stone

U2 are greatly featured in the "Fifty Greatest Artist of All Time" issue of the latest Rolling Stone (April 15, 2004). The issue boasts essays about the 50 "Immortals" of rock and roll, and U2 comes in at #22. Their 'Immortal' essay was written by Chris Martin of Coldplay, who says that "A Sort of Homecoming" was one of the first songs he ever played for his unborn baby with wife Gwyneth Paltrow. Bono penned the essay on Elvis Presley (which is also available on the Rollling Stone website), and Edge wrote the essay on The Clash.

00342678.jpg

For more information on this issue, visit the Rolling Stone website: http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2846

To read Bono's indepth exploration of Elvis Presley's career, visit: http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2838

Many thanks to Diane L!

ya know... i really don't have a problem with this list. i thought when cobain was on the cover that they'd do what all these stupid lists do and incorrectly put nirvana in the top 10... but no... they're in the 20s, behind u2... which is probably right around where they belong. this is actually probably the best "top 50" list i've ever seen. well done, rolling stone.

I MUST AGREE with you, Headache in a Suitcase. I don't know who supposedly votes on these lists and what the specific criteria is for these lists, but U2 being #22 - I DON'T THINK SO!:rant:

U2 is the PREMIERE Rock band of our era with their influence being not only on modern Rock music, but in their influences on social activism, spiritual awareness, etc. and how to incorporate all these influences into our daily lives.:yes:

For me, U2 IS SIMPLY THE BEST and their music and example will be the what I will remember years from now!:love:

THANK YOU, U2, FOR JUST BEING YOU! THE BEST!:hug: :up: :heart:

it's a sweet article by chris martin.
a few snippets of his thoughts on u2:

"I love that they're best mates and have an integral role in one another's lives as friends."

"It's amazing the biggest band in the world has so much integrity and passion in their music."

"The sound they pioneered--the driving bass and drums underneath and those ethereal, effects-laden guitar tracks floating out from above--was nothing that had been heard before. They may be the only good anthemic rock band ever. Certainly they are the best."

I also noticed in this issue in the news section: there is a story on the distillers recording the theme song for the new spiderman movie. does this mean no u2 song in that flick as rumored?

Thanks for posting those excerpts, cargriff. Chris' comments are spot-on!

I looked for the magazine at my local bookstore today, but they don't have it in yet. :(

u2 at #22 is pretty preposterous, considering their audacity, longetivity, success and pure talent.

It might seem biased, but in all honesty they should have managed between #2 and #8, with the beatles at #1.

This ranking is a severe let down for the band, their fans and the music industry in general

intedomine said:
u2 at #22 is pretty preposterous, considering their audacity, longetivity, success and pure talent.

It might seem biased, but in all honesty they should have managed between #2 and #8, with the beatles at #1.

This ranking is a severe let down for the band, their fans and the music industry in general

Before Dylan (#2)? Elvis (#3)? The Stones (#4)? Chuck Berry (#5)? and Hendrix (#6)? Beofre Bob Marley (#11)?

Settle down and go to the record store and educate yourself.

It's the best list I've ever seen in a magazine. Remember they're "IMMORTALS." Everyone listed fits IMO. The only one missing is REM. Radiohead, Pearl Jam, etc. are still baby bands compare to this list.

Going by that top list Martha I'd say U2 were pretty hard done by not to make it into the top 10, perhaps even top 5... Only a few of those artists have had the longevity, consistant success both artistically and commercially and public profile to go with it... Ok the Beatles will probably always be at #1 (although I'm yet to be convinced of their greatness - so much good but so much crap as well), Bob Dylan thoroughly deserves his #2 spot and Elvis and Hendrix are definitely up there as well... However U2 beat the crap out of the Rolling Stones in terms of consistency and quality control (The Stones only had ten years of consistant hits and acclaimed albums - everything since has been them rehashing their back catalogue) and Bono is certainly as much of an Iconic figure as Mick Jagger is or ever was. Chuck Berry's music was sheer genious of course but longevity and consistency as an artist? Fraid not... His is one of the most hit and miss back catalogues of all those in the top 10.
U2 have the longevity, the consistent quality, the innovatve approach and originality to have placed them among such luminaries in the top 10, possibly as high as #5 - DEFINITELY above Bob Marley! The only reason I can see for this not being the case was Rolling Stone's obvious want to appeal to the Rock and Roll classicists with this issue which is why the top honours have all gone to the old hands... Fair enough. But theres definitely no neet to belittle the opinion that U2 should have ranked higher! Some fans of U2 may even own records by everyone in the top 10 (shock! horror!).

BTW all that said - its still a great list! and 22 is pretty respectable by anyones standards...! Give it another 10 years and a couple more classic albums... U2 may even make it to #1..!

Don't underestimate the impact of Bob Marley! He was the first international superstar originating from a Third-World country. The influence he had on the consciousness of the people living in those countries, on their pride, is gigantic.
Furthermore, he wrote many great songs, with often highly political lyrics. Here was one artist who was not afraid to speak out and who at the same time could deliver these songs in very accessible melodies.
No, Bob Marley definately belongs high on that list.

C ya!

Marty (hopes the issue will be available soon in the Netherlands)

Sorry Popmartijn! I was being a little too prejudiced there for my own good...! Bob Marley definitely belongs on the list for all those reasons, he's just not one of my personal favourites!!

Shouldn?t a fairer list separate bands from individual artists?
Shouldn?t a fairer list separate the historical influence from the actual quality of the work? Of course no band can touch the historical impact of The Beatles. And does fact play too large of role of almost automatically shooting The Beatles to the top?

CRITERIA
Range Of Songs: Rock / Mid-tempo / Ballads / Epic Pieces. U2 has done it all and excellently.
Growth & Exploration & Innovation: The same old thing over and over? Not U2.
Range Of Subjects: U2 has and can do it all (life = politics / spirituality / relationships / individual struggle and development / social justice). Have not The Stones been limited to mostly ?Sex Drugs & Rock N? Roll?? Does The Who top The Stones here?
Studio and Live: U2 beats The Beatles? Who was a better live band The Stones or The Who?
Vocals: Difficult to top Bono?
Lyrics: Difficult to top Bono?
Guitar:
Rhythm Section:
Longevity & Consistency:

Can U2 beat The Beatles at this point? Or do they need another JT / AB to do it?
Does The Who finish ahead of The Stones?

In the light of this subject - the only thing I would like to see from U2 on their next album or next 2 albums is another 2 great ballads. Does Staring At The Sun and Stuck In A Moment stand up well in their own right and in comparison to WOWY and One? Does Staring At The Sun and Stuck In A Moment even stand up well against All I Want Is You and Stay?

MrBTH said:
Going by that top list Martha I'd say U2 were pretty hard done by not to make it into the top 10, perhaps even top 5... Rock and Roll classicists with this issue which is why the top honours have all gone to the old hands... Fair enough.

Yeah, those clowns who were involved in choosing the list sold U2 down the river!

*shakes fist at Edge and Bill Flanagan, two of the choosers*

this is how id rank it

1. beatles
2. elvis
3. rolling stones
4. bobby dylan
5. hendrix
6. u2
7. bob marley
8. miles davis
9. led zeppelin
10. michael jackson ( i must admit)

martha said:
Do you think it will be? Should I send you one?

It will arrive here, don't worry about that. There'll only be a delay of a couple of weeks (I think). I haven't looked for a copy of RS for a long time, so I have to keep an eye on it.
Thank you very much for the offer, but it won't be necessary. :hug:

C ya!

Marty (thinks that the last issue of RS he bought was in 1993 with Edge on the cover, and a list of the 100 best videos)

Back
Top Bottom