(03-24-2003) People get ready for Kryk is coming - Macleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.macleans.ca/

People get ready for Kryk is coming
JOHN INTINI

Note: Surf on over to Interference.com for our very own interview with Julie Kryk!

Julie Kryk knows how to steal a show. Two years ago at a U2 concert in Las Vegas, the Windsor, Ont., native caught Bono's attention by holding a sign that read, "This chick plays a mean guitar." She was promptly scooped up by a couple of bodyguards, placed on stage with the Irish rockers and handed an acoustic guitar. Without hesitating, in front of a crowd of 20,000, Kryk began strumming People Get Ready. "Bono picked up the lyrics, the band kicked in and I got chills up my spine," says Kryk, whose performance airs on the U2 episode of VH1's A Night With. "After the concert hundreds of people congratulated me and many wanted to know if I was planted in the crowd by the band."

This wasn't Kryk's first brush with fame. Back in 1998, she won a talent contest that earned her a spot performing on the Lilith Fair stage in Detroit. Later that year she dug out her backstage pass and used it again when the festival swung around to Buffalo. "I met up with Sarah McLachlan right before her performance and she invited me onstage to perform the finale," says Kryk. "She told me I would always be a Lilith artist."

When the 23-year-old returns home in April from a four-month stint performing aboard a Carnival Cruise ship in the Caribbean, she will put the finishing touches on her fifth self-released album, meet with record executives from Toronto and New York and then embark on a North American tour. "When I first started out all I cared about was getting a record deal," says Kryk. "Everyone told me that I was really talented but too inexperienced. I just started writing like mad and learning the business side of the industry. I stopped waiting for someone to make my career, and started making it happen for myself. Now I'm ready to take it to the next level." Like maybe a spot opening for U2.

Copyright by Rogers Media Inc.

Back
Top Bottom