(03-14-2004) Christian artists take on U2 - The Beacon Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(03-14-2004) Christian artists take on U2 - The Beacon Journal*

[SIMG]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00016MCCC.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/SIMG]
U2 covered by Christian recording artists on CD

IN THE NAME OF LOVE/ARTISTS UNITED FOR AFRICA
Various artists
Sparrow

Why can Christian musicians, from Bruce Springsteen to U2, be so stirring when using spiritual sensibilities, while artists who identify with the narrower Christian pop-rock movement often give us music so lacking in character and depth that it seems anonymous? Although not fully answering that question, this CD, which features some of the Christian music world's stars performing U2 songs, suggests the problem may be the material.

B00016MCCC.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

In the Name of Love is a response by several Christian music artists to Bono's challenge last year to get involved in the campaign to raise money to fight the African AIDS crisis.

Not everything works on this album, which donates a portion of the proceeds to World Vision. Some singers seem so intimidated by Bono's vocals that they are unable to break away from his interpretations. And several of the arrangements seem timid.

Yet there are eye-opening moments, especially when artists tackle some of the more intimate moments in the U2 catalog. The poignant vocal by Sixpence None the Richer's Leigh Nash and the personal take by Nichole Nordeman on Grace are especially passionate. Along with other highlights, these tracks make you want to hear more by these artists. A similar album devoted to Springsteen's songs would be another good step.

-- Robert Hilburn
Los Angeles Times

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/living/8177369.htm

I have this album and really enjoy it. Per the review, some songs are better than others, but overall I think it's pretty good. I especially enjoy the couple where women sing - gives a really different take than hearing Bono!

I have been a huge Springsteen fan for years, but I didn't realize he holds Christian beliefs. Interesting....

:wink: Wow! It's about time!! And I don't understand why better known artists did not take up the challenge! Worried about their image should they take on a such a controversial person as Bono or group as U2? :ohmy: This would be the time to be Bold!!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom