(03-13-2003) U2 Similar to Beethoven? - Reuters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://news.yahoo.com/

Software Program Designed to Spot Musical Hits

LONDON (Reuters) - Picking the next worldwide hit song could soon be as easy as running a software program. Hit Song Science (HSS), software developed by Barcelona-based company Polyphonic HMI, is designed to spot the hits before they are released.

The company says it picked out Norah Jones (news) for stardom months before her debut album garnered eight Grammy awards.

"The HSS software looks for songs that match the musical traits of known hits," according to New Scientist magazine.

It identifies characteristics such as melody, harmony, beat variation, tempo, rhythm and pitch that send songs to the top of the charts.

Although there are millions of songs on the market, the biggest sellers are found in clusters with similar characteristics.

But those special traits are not always obvious. Irish rock group U2 and Beethoven had similar values according to the software. The Beatles and Elvis also matched up with their distinctive traits.

"There are a limited number of mathematical formulas for hit songs," said Polyphonic HMI's chief executive Mike McCready.

"We don't know why," he added.

Several major record companies are trying out the software to increase their chances of putting their money on a winner.

Thank you, Josh!

Interesting....

But I don't think it's a computer generating or determining hit songs...it's just that the most appealing songs all have similar harmonic characteristics and the computer is able to identify those characteristics. You really don't need a computer to do that even. Take a listen to hit songs, they all have some kind of hook to them, even if you do hate the song, you have to admit its catchy.

This is actually very interesting...
Agree with you, womanfish, it is sad sad sad.
But be sure to understand that hit-songs are very similar in many ways. A computer can detect many things that we can't (even though it affects us to like it or hate it). I really believe that a software like this can be developed, but it will be reliable only for very simple music. Daisybean - i'm pretty sure that a software like this can be able to detect more than what you are saying.
U2andPolitix, If U2 are compared to Beethoven, it is really a GREAT thing. Beethoven was a genious, and his music was certainly NOT simple. If U2 are compared to Beethoven, i'm not surprised that you don't see the connection. The software can probably detect something we can't! Maybe all this say that U2's music is not simple, and that it is something about their music (this is a fact - just look at their huge success and the people in this forum). Beethoven touched hearts, U2 are touching hearts. Beethoven was a much greater musician than any of the four in U2, so if U2 are compared to Beethoven, I'm proud to be a U2 fan. But I also read somewhere... that a typical U2 fan often have a high intellect. I was forced to remember this when i read the article above...

ElectricalVoice

Yeah I agree that the comparison is WONDERFUL. It's not every day that you hear U2 compared to Beethoven. But it's somewhat silly to have a computer program pick out hits. That's up to public opinion, not software.

Yes

U2andPolitix said:
Yeah I agree that the comparison is WONDERFUL. It's not every day that you hear U2 compared to Beethoven. But it's somewhat silly to have a computer program pick out hits. That's up to public opinion, not software.

Totally agree with you - it's sad that a computer pick out hits. It should be people! But this is probably commercial crap the computer are analyzing (big hits = $$$). But I believe that a computer-software could detect similarities between different kinds of music. But a computer (AI) will NEVER be like a human.

ElectricalVoice

it seems like a good idea to me to have a computer pick hits instead of teenage hormones

You make a good point Salome. I mean, yeah, have you seen the trend these days? Rap and Hip-Hop, not that I'm saying they're bad but... I go into a classroom and I tell them I'm a U2 fan... I get no response. So in some cases, it's nice to know that a computer has better taste than some of my peers (but that's my opinion and 2 cents you know)
I'm sure my classical music loving friend would love to know that Beethoven is related to U2.
I'm also sure that my math teacher would like to know another fact of music... it's related to math... wow, I never even knew that.
Interesting indeed.

Back
Top Bottom