(03-09-2003) Bono's Back Woes: What We've Heard - Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.interference.com/

Bono's Back Woes: What We've Heard

Bono's health has sure been raising some eyebrows and concerns lately, and his last-minute pullout from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on March 10th only fueled the flame to an already burning rumor mill within the U2 fan community.

Reasons for Bono's departure from the event have not been officially confirmed as of yet, however, U2News has noticed media reports that might suggest Bono is soon due to have a procedure done on his back, which might put the active singer out of commission for awhile.

Recent news articles, notably from Showbiz Ireland, have reported that the singer has been ducking out of public events for the past month or so. Bono's Conversation as part of the New York Times Arts&Leisure Weekend, originally scheduled for Sunday March 9th, was posponed recently until Sunday March 16th. And now, today, a British newspaper, The People, reports:

U2's BONO is in agony because of a pro-lapsed disc in his back. The 42-year-old singer was forced to lie down in studio this week. A friend said: "He's in a lot of pain."

The isn't the first time Bono's health has worried fans. In 1999, Bono had nasal and lung problems and finally had surgery. He gave up smoking afterwards. It was rumored at the time that Bono would could have permanently lost his ability to sing.

In 2001, after U2?s triumphant Super Bowl Halftime performance in New Orleans, Bono fell asleep in the restroom of a French Quarter restaurant - after celebrating with family, friends and the band - due to the consumption of too much wine. Bono is allergic to certain enzymes in wine, and this causes him to fall asleep suddenly and soundly.

The status of U2's performance at the upcoming 75th Annual Academy Awards on March 23rd in Los Angeles is still a Go as far as we have heard. But we'll keep you posted!

Last edited:
That could severly affect his singing... Barry Gibb of the BeeGees had the same problem, and could no longer hit higher notes or falsettos without constant pain. Maybe this is the reason why U2 have decided to do fewer shows when on tour...

cujo said:
That could severly affect his singing... Barry Gibb of the BeeGees had the same problem, and could no longer hit higher notes or falsettos without constant pain. Maybe this is the reason why U2 have decided to do fewer shows when on tour...

Good, great, wonderful news. :madspit: :mad: :censored:

poor Bono..he really has to be careful...seriously how many surgeries does it have to take for him to learn to take it a bit easier.. I really wish he gets better soon.

(not because I've yet to see them Live!!!....but my aunt had a similar really painful back problem.)

Actuallly, I'd bet serious bucks he could use the rest he'll get recuperating from this nasty thing. Surgery is a bummer, but one good thing about it is that it forces the biggest over-achievers on the planet to take it easy! It's amazing that you've got to force it on some people. I'll do it any day of the week. :laugh: :laugh:

yeah, he needs to take it easy. i can wait for another album/tour. as long as the b-man is healthy thats all that matters.

i'm sorry to sound snotty, but i wondered, what the hell does falling asleep after drinking too much wine have to do with his BACK?!

that was a dumb paragraph.

This is all being too hyped up. I mean, I'm sorry that Bono hurt his back and wish him the best recovery.....but this is all being blown way out of proportion. To suggest that they'll never finish the album or go on tour again because of this is rediculous. He'll be fine, and on top form next tour. You'll see.

elizabeth said:
i'm sorry to sound snotty, but i wondered, what the hell does falling asleep after drinking too much wine have to do with his BACK?!

that was a dumb paragraph.

That "dumb" paragraph was prefaced with the sentence that states "The isn't the first time Bono's health has worried fans." I was simply highlighting the other times Bono's health has worried fans. It has nothing to do with his back, and I never said it did.

The_acrobat said:
This is all being too hyped up. I mean, I'm sorry that Bono hurt his back and wish him the best recovery.....but this is all being blown way out of proportion. To suggest that they'll never finish the album or go on tour again because of this is rediculous. He'll be fine, and on top form next tour. You'll see.

We always get a bit crazy when he has any sort of problem. There was widespread panic when he got his sinus operation in 1999. People were predicting that this was the end of U2's career. Now we all know what a bunch of :censored: this was. I just hope it doesn't keep him away from the Oscars. That would be a shame. Fortunately there are reports that it's *not* going to keep him away from the Oscars. If I see any good reports Hello Angel I'll let you know.

hell be fine, his singing has been deteriorating from too much straining in the early days especially during the Joshua Tree Days.
But that wont stop him he still has his unique tone to his voice and can still pull off his signature screams here and there..

I just hope his back is fine for their next tour.. I wanna see him keep jumpin like a maniac during "Until The End.."

Bono Get well soon we luv ya!

Back
Top Bottom