(03-08-2004) Live Aid finally gets DVD release - BBC News *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
Live Aid finally gets DVD release.

The 1985 Live Aid concert, one of the defining events in modern music, is to be released on DVD for the first time. Organisers will auction the rights to release the DVD after pirate copies were found for sale on the internet.

They are hoping to raise "a few million pounds" for charity and are aiming for a Christmas release.

The concert, split between London and Philadelphia, brought together stars including U2, Queen and Madonna - but has never come out on CD, video or DVD. Organisers have decided to allow the DVD release after realising bootleggers were making money from it - but none was going to charity. Proceeds from the DVD release will go to the Band Aid Trust, which still exists to relieve poverty and hunger in Ethiopia and the surrounding area.

_39932345_liveaidbbc2_203.jpg

Some 72,000 fans packed Wembley Stadium in London

Bob Geldof "sees it as an asset of the people of Ethiopia" that was not being fully utilised, according to fellow founding Band Aid trustee John Kennedy. "It's a surprise to all of us that we're still here 20 years on spending and receiving money," he told BBC News Online. "But because of piracy, it's becoming available without earning any money." The successful bidder will have to get the permission of every artist - but "we don't expect any of them to be anything other than co-operative", he said.

_39915291_geldofpa3_203.jpg

Geldof (right) met Prince Charles and Princess Diana at Live Aid

Geldof organised Live Aid and the Band Aid single in response to famine in Ethiopia, in which 1.2 million people starved to death in 1984 and 1985.

Music marathon

Live Aid saw 72,000 pack into Wembley Stadium in London to see artists such as David Bowie, Wham! and Dire Straits. The 16-hour music marathon was completed at Philadelphia's JFK Stadium with acts including Bob Dylan, Duran Duran and Paul Simon. Live Aid eventually raised ?40m. Half of the money was spent on food and half on long term development.

The DVD plan comes after pirated DVDs were found on sale over the internet for ?110 for a 10-disc set. After a tip-off from Geldof himself, police raided a property in Skelmersdale, Lancashire, and arrested a man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3543059.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be awesome! I did tape the entire thing that day - but my dad, in his wisdom, thought our family should have a Beta VCR, not VHS. So, it's in a box, unplayable!

I taped it as well but lost the tapes. 10 DVD's sounds like way too many for this concert. I wonder if the set released will be the entire show (unedited) or will it be the highlights only.

I wonder if this might motivate U2 to release the Sydney and Mexico City shows on DVD.

Last edited:
THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!:yes:

Just imagine the power that the release of this DVD will have to mobilize a new generation of concerned and caring people for Africa's future!:heart:

Keep on pushing forward, Bob Geldof - we're all supporting you!;) :up:

I had it on Beta too, and it disappeared sometime in the last couple years :sad: Somebody made me a copy of just U2's performance on VHS so I have that. I have been hoping for this to come out! I want to see Led Zeppelin's performance too!

i taped it ( or at least Duran Duran, Powerstation and u2's performances) but that tape has long since died.

I am way pumped up over this. YAY!

I'm going to have a Live AID DVD party!

omfg!

wow! :faint:

i do have the tapes still...but it's not the full show...bits and peices....i've been afraid to touch them thinking that it would be my only copy EVER.....couple that with the fact that the tapes are 20 years old now.

this is awesome fookin news....it's about time! :hyper:

:yes: :shrug: :shrug: YESSS! Well, it's about time!!:eyebrow: And only because someone had tapes floating around? This is wonderful-since I went so I had no way to tape the thing! It will never really be the same as being there THAT day! Awesome-all the acts were! And no other concert was Ever like this one! WE that were there at Wembly will never forget how it felt to BE There! Ahh-Live-Aid-again, after soo long! Yah!:wink:

forbonou2 said:
:yes: :shrug: :shrug: YESSS! Well, it's about time!!:eyebrow: And only because someone had tapes floating around? This is wonderful-since I went so I had no way to tape the thing! It will never really be the same as being there THAT day! Awesome-all the acts were! And no other concert was Ever like this one! WE that were there at Wembly will never forget how it felt to BE There! Ahh-Live-Aid-again, after soo long! Yah!:wink:

You were actually there, eh?

Awesome! :D :up:. Lucky you!

Angela

wow about time. I had Live Aid on Beta also. Got damaged in a house fire. :| :sad: anyway they will surely raise some money from it. this should have been done a while ago..

:hyper: :hyper: woohoooo its about time :D i about shit my pants when i saw this news, lol. i was considering buying one of them bootleg dvds but now i don't have to :) the bootlegs being the reason for them announcing the release of this. maybe u2 will see that bootlegers are selling official looking dvds and go ahead and release more of their catalogue on dvd

i can't wait for this! the only thing I remember about it was that I was excited to see Phil Collins in London and Philly! woah! luckily, my taste in music has increased since then.

Back
Top Bottom