(02-28-2003) Knight and Day - U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.u2.com/u2.html/

Knight and Day

Bono was in Paris this morning to receive the prestigious ?Knight of the Legion of Honour? medal from French President Jacques Chirac.

Bono, accompanied by his wife Ali, was honoured for his humanitarian work in campaigning for debt cancellation for the poorest countries and a better deal for Africa in the face of the AIDS pandemic. It is the second time in two years he has met Chirac ? they met last year when Bono was pressing the French for greater aid for developing countries.

Asked by reporters on the current Iraq crisis, Bono said that he believed that UK Prime Minster Tony Blair is sincere in his position on Iraq, ?but sincerely wrong?.

?In my opinion Tony Blair is a great politician. His convictions about Iraq are sincere, but for me he is sincerely wrong.?

He added that it would be a mistake to make a martyr of Saddam Hussein through the use of force. ?He's good at propaganda. Let's not make it easier for him.?

More on Bono?s advocacy work for Africa here
www.datadata.org

Although I highly respect, admire and is inspired by the stance Bono has taken on many subjects. In this case I have to say I have to disagree with him.

When some one hits you with a big stick, no matter how long it has been since they hit you there is always the thought that they will hit you again.

Saddam is a destabilizing element in the middle east. The only true way to achieve the utopian peace is through stabilization and realizaion that borders are Imaginary lines. We are all the same. Saddam is an element that is ensuring that everyone has their guard uppreventing everyone to see through the line.

To blindly say "Peace now" Would be a mistake. Saddam needs to be dealt with and removed. Dont kill him.... dont make hima martyr. ... just exile him in shame...

IN a war with Iraq do you think that a coward like saddam would allow himslf to be killed... he would flea lond before the tanks rolled into Bagdhad.

I wonder what other motives are behind France, Germany, and Russia's stance on the Iraq. I wonder if they are as noble as they seem.... it wouldnt be because France and Germany are iraq's biggest customer for oil... no... nor would Russia worry about the sales line of equipment being stopped... definately not.

War is a War ... I dont agree with it.... but sometime you need to pick up a stick and fight. Especially if its the only way you can communicate with the other party..... History dictates that saddam is fluent in that language...

just a thought

------------------------------------------------------

you gotta cry without weeping.........

Another question is, can a war take Saddam out? Some people insist it can but I have a hard time believing this. Just because Politician X tells me something doesn't make me believe it.

Is it the right time for war....heavy question.... is it time to attempt to allow the midle east to stablize.... definately... have the world been given any choice in this .. welll no... saddam and the oppressive dictatorship show no signs of budging.... it amazes me how we could all sit by and let saddam play us like a deck of cards...... hrmmm maybe im the joker....

just a thought.............

It's Saddam that's the issue here. Can't just nuke "them". They haven't done anything to us, yet. Given the future chances however, "he, Saddam" will nuke anyone. Whether or not the other country has aligned itself with us or not. When he can he will. Take him out and you get rid of the problem, except you now have a country without a leader and will problably be riddled with biological and or chemical fallout. Saddam will never go down easy unless taken out from within. This is what we must pray for..that his own people will take him down without the death and destruction that Will be reaped down upon him if his own people don't do something. I afraid its gone too far, this time. The ball is in the Iraqi peoples court now.. I'm sorry but he started it, you know.... :mad:

Last edited:
U2knyght said:
Although I highly respect, admire and is inspired by the stance Bono has taken on many subjects. In this case I have to say I have to disagree with him.

Thank you for being a respectful member of this forum... suppressing other's opinions is no way to debate an issue. I think people would get a long better here if they listened to opinions, rather than wait for the chance to express their own. Maybe I should take my own advice...

Sometimes in this forum, (I have been guilty of this as well) people just make statements that blatantly suppress other's opinions. Remarks like, 'celebrities have no right to be doing this or that', or 'people should stick to what they are good at'...

All I was saying U2knyght was that the disclaimer at the top of your reply was an example of what TO do... You didn't step on Bono's or other peoples opinions, but still expressed a different view. Having said that, I don't necessarily agree with all that you said... but, I won't throw it in your face. I don't normally give praise for responses, but I thought for once I would try not to be such an ass... by giving credit where credit is due.

Back
Top Bottom