(02-25-2003) Fly Life - The Village Voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.villagevoice.com/

Fly Life
by Tricia Romano
February 26 - March 4, 2003

Fly Life HED: Pro Bono By Tricia Romano The Silicone People invaded last Friday's 13th Annual MusiCares benefit honoring Bono. Girls with unnatural skin tones sashayed through the lobby of the Marriott Marquis wearing sparkly, beaded gowns and sporting terrible, mismatched hair extensions. Stars flooded the hotel, most of them gussied up like school kids in their Sunday best. But as I discovered, if you're Jay-Z, "formal attire required" doesn't apply; the rapper casually strolled in sporting hip-hop's requisite baggy jeans. P. Diddy, a/k/a Puffy, a/k/a Mr. Daddy?whatever you wanna call him?wore his usual outlandish furs and got a shout-out from the man of the evening during the proceedings.

It's not everyday that someone in the room is smaller than me who is not, you know, a three-year-old, so Dr. Ruth's presence was immediately noted. Mayor Mike Bloomberg, shorter and tanner in person, held court nearby. Spin gossip Marc "I'm a novelist now" Spitz threatened to light up in front of the anti-smoking fanatic. I offered money.

Bono, who veers from endearing to irritating in the span of a sentence, was introduced by former President Bill Clinton?who inexplicably gave David Bowie a hug before jumping onstage. Clinton received so many standing ovations I lost count. He's such a naturally gifted speaker that he spoke without notes, telling funny tales of U2 trying to piggyback the Secret Service motorcade to get out of bad Chicago traffic. And he spoke highly of Bono, who despite his propensity to annoy the hell out of me is truly a humanitarian, working to eliminate third-world debt and fighting AIDS in Africa. A Nobel Peace Prize nomination says it all. Said Clinton of the honoree: "He did something I couldn't do. He got Jesse Helms to support his cause."

Amen to that.

After Bono accepted his award, the star-studded crowd milled about. Boxer Evander Holyfield posed for pictures with Sopranos star Steve Van Zandt, and Sheryl Crow cozied up with Dixie Chick Martie Seidel. There were so many celebrities that by the end of the night I was numb to their presence: Elvis Costello, Melissa Etheridge, Fred Durst, and The Edge were all in attendance. Yawn.

Of course it ain't a real party unless Moby's there, right? Friends joked that we should throw several parties in wayward locations just to see if the professional party favor would show up. Bets were made that the techno star would be present, and of course, there he was, first damn row, front-and-center. Guess who won $10?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back
Top Bottom