(02-20-2004) Dante's Inferno for the MTV Generation -- U2.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.u2.com/images/news_200204_carter.jpg[/SIMG]
Dante's Inferno for the MTV Generation

Bill Carter's memoir 'Fools Rush In' is now published in Europe ? and winning rave reviews.

Regular U2.Commers will know Bill's name from our earlier extracts from his then work-in-progress. Bill has now been travelling in Europe to promote the book which Bono dubs 'Dante's Inferno for the MTV generation.'

And his documentary film, Miss Sarajevo, on which Bono was Executive Producer, is now released on DVD.

Long time fans may recall Bill's name from the early nineties when, living in Sarajevo at the height of the Bosnian war, he linked up with U2 to make nightly live satellite broadcasts from Sarajevo into the Zoo TV shows. For many concert-goers, it offered a startling insight into a war going on just hundreds of miles from their own homes.

But this tale ? and the U2 connection - is only part of Bill's grander narrative, which Jim Harrison, author of Legends of the Fall, praises as 'a memoir of grand dimension ... its consciousness will become part of your life.'

It was following a personal tragedy that Carter set off for Bosnia, eventually hooking up with a maverick aid organisation 'The Serious Road Trip'. Dodging snipers and shells to deliver food and supplies to those the UN and the NGOs couldn't reach, he made friends with the artistic community of Sarajevo, joining them in fighting for survival in a place where food and water are scarce, where death is an everyday experience.

While Fools Rush In narrates Bill's attempt to 'rebuild the ruins of his former self in the most unlikely of places', it also details how he dreamt up a highly unlikely way of enlisting U2 in broadcasting the plight of the Sarajevans to the rest of the world.

Recommended ? and inspiring ? reading!

For more information visit www.billcarter.cc

-- U2.com

Bill had a promotion of his book last night in Sarajevo and screening of "Miss Sarajevo" documentary was also organized. The whole thing was so emotional!
It's people like Bill that make me believe this world is a good place.
I bought the book and Bill signed it for me :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom