(02-20-2003) Bono in running for Nobel prize - Belfast Telegraph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/

Bono in running for Nobel prize
By Maureen Coleman

U2 FRONTMAN Bono, who has campaigned tirelessly against poverty in the Third World, has been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

The Dublin rocker joins UN weapons inspectors Hans Blix and Mohamed Elbaradei on a list of 150 nominations for this year's prize.

Other contenders include the American senators Sam Nunn and Richard Lugar, who have been pushing to dismantle Russia's ageing nuclear weapons.

Bono has campaigned for many years to focus the attention of rich nations on the plight of Africa.

He was the main instigator in getting the Group of Eight top industrial countries to provide greater debt relief for the world's poorest countries and is also the founder of Debt, Aid, Trade for Africa.

Last year he undertook a 10-day tour of Africa along with US Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill to convince him that Western aid was put to good use in the poverty-stricken countries.

He also met with President George Bush to discuss Aids and Bush's new initiative on US aid to poor countries.

Bono has also supported the peace process in Northern Ireland, throwing his weight behind the Good Friday Agreement.

He described U2's performance at the Waterfront Hall, to back the Agreement, as one of the greatest moments of his musical life.

"We have a total of 150 nominees so far," said Geir Lundestad, head of the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

Bono is also to receive the Humanitarian Award at the Meteor Ireland Music Awards at the Point Theatre on March 3.

I agree. I think that perhaps this is not his year as the Nobel is sort of a "lifetime achievement" award and Vaclav Havel is stepping down as President of the Czech Republic. Hey, the guy kicked the Dictator Squad From Hell out of Czechoslovakia and had alot to do with the development of democracy in the area. That's why I'm in his fan club. Personally, my money's on him for this year, but absolutely, Bono is going to win this thing soon.

Back
Top Bottom