(02-12-2004) U2 Reunited with Lillywhite but Release Date Unclear -- Hot Press *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Reunited with Lillywhite but Release Date Unclear

U2 have confirmed industry speculation by announcing that they're starting work on their new album with old production ally Steve Lillywhite.

The news is something of a shock given that the follow up to 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind" was said to be nearing completion before Christmas.

Asked as far back as June 2003 about the album, manager Paul McGuinness had said: "I've heard a lot of the stuff, they seem to have about 20 tunes on board at the moment. I always say I'm no judge in the early stages. I'm better at hearing it when it's nearly finished. That said, it sounds very exciting to me, very rock and roll, very direct."

He did however add a cautionary: "I'm just reminding everyone that we must learn from past mistakes and not release it before it's finished."

For more on this story visit http://www.hotpress.com/music/news/2710445.html. You must be registered with Hot Press to access the article.

-- Hot Press

this is old news. These quotes were taken by Paul back in November of last year. This is why half the crap we see on the internet is just throw away trash. Don't believe the hype til you see something official from the U2 camp. So all we know now is they are back in the studio.

The album will probably be released in April of 2005 now.

April2005 more like April2015. Next January they will be re-starting on their "new album" with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

rjhbonovox said:
Next January they will be re-starting on their "new album" with Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

Then Flood and Howie B co-producing... finally they will decide to release an unfinished album. :wink:

I think we have to hit the reality that U2 is probably now in the ranks of a "veteran band." They have no real pressure to create new albums on any regular timetable, as newer bands do just to remain in the limelight.

U2 has more money than they ever could imagine, and, who knows...maybe their heart isn't into the music as much as it once was. Maybe they want to do other things with their lives. Who knows...but maybe long periods between new albums is something we're going to have to realize.

Melon

Perhaps I'm idealistic or just delusional but I still believe that whatever will come just needs whatever time it will to come out. I'm already over the fact that it'd be out in the near future. I don't think these delays though suggest that U2 is a veteran band. I believe they want to put out something they're happy with and I sure don't know what that is. But I believe they do. And so when they have it they'll let us hear it.

Either way the longer I wait the hungrier I get for the new music and that can't be so bad.

dsmith2904 said:
U2 have confirmed industry speculation by announcing that they're starting work on their new album with old production ally Steve Lillywhite.

STARTING?!? What the FUCK!!! :mad:

This better be a typo...

No I bet it is starting.....with some material in the can. Lets face it they started the album with Chris Thomas but what he did wasn't right so its like there starting again. Next year for a release I bet March 2005. hehehe makes me laugh when I read just after the tour that they was going straight back in the studio to do their next album. 3 years later.................still waiting

ok, WHY DONT U2 MANAGEMENT GIVE US SOME LEADWAY ON WHEN THIS CD IS TO BE COMING OUT??? THAT STORY IS REALLY SAYING THAT THE BAND HASNT EVEN FINISHED RECORDING!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:drool: :mad:

Makes you sick, doesn't it? From what I've been reading since mid 2003, it appears that the band had lots of great ideas/riffs/melodies but the finished product wasn't quite what they had intended. So now, they bring in old pals to steer them back into a direction that they are more comfortable with. This probably includes tweaking of some songs and scrapping some old ideas. While I wouldn't think that the album will be released in 2005, I also wouldn't expect it until late 2004. Sad, but true.

"The Greatest Band In The World" could surely takes a bunch of great ideas and come up with a finished product without going through a raft of producers to get it "just right".

They are starting to fucking bore me.

This is not the u2 I know and love. There are major problems in the studio right now, and they are not admitting it. Go ahead and say "you're assuming there are major problems; you don't know that." you're deluding yourself if you think that.

the major problem is in the songwriting right now....I know it.....a producer does not make or break an album. They are being over-protective and timid about taking chances ever again.....so apparently, POP really did bite them in the ass. what a shame.

I am really, really dissappointed at this situation. what a bragging idiot bono sounds like right now. the only thing that's worse is that there are virtually no bands out there right now who could assume the u2 mantle.

I'm sorry this post is incredibly negative....but they are being pussy-ass millionaire egomaniacs at this point.

too harsh

JOFO said:
"The Greatest Band In The World" could surely takes a bunch of great ideas and come up with a finished product without going through a raft of producers to get it "just right".

They are starting to fucking bore me.

This is not the u2 I know and love. There are major problems in the studio right now, and they are not admitting it. Go ahead and say "you're assuming there are major problems; you don't know that." you're deluding yourself if you think that.

the major problem is in the songwriting right now....I know it.....a producer does not make or break an album. They are being over-protective and timid about taking chances ever again.....so apparently, POP really did bite them in the ass. what a shame.

I am really, really dissappointed at this situation. what a bragging idiot bono sounds like right now. the only thing that's worse is that there are virtually no bands out there right now who could assume the u2 mantle.

I'm sorry this post is incredibly negative....but they are being pussy-ass millionaire egomaniacs at this point.

More producers can get more ideas, many of U2's albums had several people co-producing.

We don't know what's going on - yes Bono mentioned a "snag in the recording" but that could be anything from putting finishing touches to a few songs or having problems with the majority, if not all, material. (I doubt we'd still be promised a 2004 release if that were true, though)

Sometimes taking chances pays off (AB) and sometimes it doesn't (like it or not, POP). After 20+ years, I don't know how realistic it is from people to expect another punch on the music scene like JT was, or another brand new sound like AB was. I'd rather have good songwriting than desperately trying to re-invent themselves over and over again - only to get burned. (the last album did have several new ground for the band)

It's not the first time U2 has been around the 3 year+ mark when it comes to releasing new albums, they often take their time. If the result is good, that's fine by me. If one half of what we've heard about the coming album is true, it'll be well worth the wait.

I WANT IT NOW!!!

(Sorry, just wanted to sound like all the other self-centered folks that expect art to appear on THEIR schedule)

Quality over quantity? You betcha...

goat

}:)~

Back
Top Bottom