(02-11-2003) Eminem and U2 in Oscar Tussle - NME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.nme.com/

OSCAR FRENZY

Eminem and U2 are going head to head in the battle for an Oscar this year after they both picked up nominations this morning for Best Song.

U2's 'The Hands that Built America', written for Martin Scorcese's epic 'Gangs Of New York' will battle it out with Eminem's 'Lose Yourself', taken from '8 Mile' - the film that saw his big screen debut.

Paul Simon is also in their category at this year's ceremony, the 75th annual Academy Awards, with 'Father and Daughter' from 'The Wild Thornberrys Movie'.

Eminem's first ever Oscar nomination is also his only one. He didn't pick up a nod, as many critics had suggested, for his starring '8 Mile'. Instead, Adrien Brody ('The Pianist'), Nicolas Cage ('Adaptation'), Michael Caine ('The Quiet American'), Daniel Day Lewis ('Gangs Of New York') and Jack Nicholson ('About Schmidt').

Musical 'Chicago' picked up the most nominations today scooping 13, ahead of 'Gangs Of New York' with 10 and 'The Hours' with nine.

The awards ceremony will take place at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre on Sunday 23 March.

Published: 11-02-2003-18-01

U2LoverBMP said:
U2 deserves the oscar more than Eminem!

That's a hard thing to judge; its not the artist that is being awarded, it is the song. The Oscar should go to the song that best captures the spirit of the movie, and not one that is merely a post-production after thought. In that regard, both "The Hands That Built America", and "Lose Yourself" are worthy nominations.

I would love to see U2 win, for all their contributions to soundtracks (especially Bono). But, don't be surprised if they give the statue to Eminem, seeing as his movie was stiffed in all the other possible categories... hopefully that won't be an issue.

I'm going to be a nervous wreck during this show. I normally don't even watch the Oscars, but I'm watching this year!!! If they don't win, heck, it's just show biz, but I'll be disappointed.:no:

U2/Bono should have been nominated for "In the Name of the Father", "Stay", "Hold Me... Kill Me" and the O'Connor performed, Bono/Friday written "You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart". All of these songs received Golden Globe nominations, but not one was nominated for an Oscar. We can only hope that with the Golden Globe win, the Oscars will also be as kind to U2.

Well too bad "Without Me" isn't nominated, seeing as the candidate Oscar song is "Lose Yourself". So, you can't use that logic to decide the award. If you want to compare artist's greatest songs than I think we all know who would win (hint, probably not the Real Slim Shady).

Back
Top Bottom