(02-10-2004) Lillywhite in Studio as Recording Hots Up -- U2.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Lillywhite in Studio as Recording Hots Up

Producer Steve Lillywhite has joined the production team as the band hit the final stretch in recording the new album.

Lillywhite, who produced U2's first three albums and has regularly been at the desk since, is set to begin work this week and is already delighted with the material he has heard.

'I've heard some great songs.' he told Billboard. 'The Edge is playing some really great guitar.'

During 2003, Chris Thomas worked closely with U2 on new material, while in the autumn, in between his own shows, Daniel Lanois also popped in to the studio.

'There are various producers involved in this album,' Paul McGuinness told U2.Com, emphasising the organic nature of the recording process. 'Chris Thomas has done some great work. It's good to work with Steve again but it's not as if we're starting from scratch.'

-- U2.com

hey, the band just hit the final stretch of the new albu...wait....is it october 2003??? no my bad its feb 2004.....i guess by final stretch they mean final 18 months. i swear they used that term already before

Wow! This is becoming a real Soap Opera. I can't wait to find out the full details later on.

If the band believes it was necessary to bring in Lillywhite, they must have a good reason for it.

Can't wait to hear what War's producer comes up with.

wait...news from U2.com about the new album? I heard they post album info but i thought it was a myth (haha) Sounds like Lillywhite is a co-producer with Thomas and Lanois...explains the delay.

This sounds like panic stations to me.......Chris Thomas must have have made a real mess of the new material and unlike what McGuiness says I bet it is nearly like starting from scratch. This album was originally stated as being finished in November so this sounds like we can't put that out its not good enough....sack the producer and bring in someone who we trust and has worked with us before. Interesting that Lanois was in the studio with them before Christmas...must have been partly on his advice that they are starting again with another producer. Lilywhite also says he's got some great material to work with.....the songs are there but there looking for a decent producer to make them sound great. Should have used Lanois and Eno again.......this sounds like what happened before when they rushed out Pop which none of the band were happy with. They said it wasn't finished (POP had an experimental producer in Howie B) and so there not making the same mistake again. Me I reckon POP was a pretty good album but there you go.

For me it's not the fact that they don't look like releasing it for at least another 8 months (if were lucky)....but the fact that all last year the statements about being in the home straight, nearly finished, were going straight in the studio after the tour, blah, blah, blah thats what pisses me off. Why not just say were not releasing anything new until at least the Autumn of 2004 then there would be no complaints about it. An album every 4 years is about the norm for U2 anyway.

I think everyone just needs to calm down and quit getting so upset. Everyone flies off the handle when there's some kind of smokescreen press release. Only thing I can say is, deal with it. The album will be out when its good and ready. Not that this is of great note, but if you remember what Larry said at the end of the VH-1 Legends a few years back. Something to the effect that in time the band may have to record less and may have to tour less frequently. Well, it looks like he wasn't babbling. Everyone's just going to have to add a little patience in their diet with this band from now on.

I'd wait forever for another GOOD U2 album. I don't care how many producers they get in the studio...Bono's lyrics are not going to sound good until HE gets it done. I truly feel that the weak point of U2 is Bono himself. Yes, he is perhaps the best lyricist alive today (well, Dylan is still alive...I guess...). I love U2 for their actual musical aspect of the band (the Edge, Larry, Adam) but it is not doubt their fame has been due to Bono's lyrics. I'd love a U2 album without ANY words at all, but that ain't gonna happen. I think it is obvious since Zooropa that Bono has not been able to hit that homerun when it comes to his vocals/lyrics. I think that is why it is taking so long. How could it NOT be since his time is devoted to so many things? I'm not taking away from what he has done/is doing, but even the best have to devote a HUGE amount of time to their craft throughout ALL stages of their career to remain on top. And the longer a band is around, the harder it is to remain on top. Can't dispute that!

just a question from an interested party:
babyman, what evidence points to a spring release? i could've sworn that hope had died already. i really thought things were looking like this fall at the earliest, especially now that a new producer has been brought in.

This is good news! I actually want to get in touch with the band-U2. I designed a cd for them for my design illustration class @ Ontario College of Art and Design. I thought if they released it it would give them more time to work on new stuff-looks like they don't need more time. If they read this (doubt it!) they can email me at lusiouscs@yahoo.ca and I can email them back the images I have in jpeg format. :)c

CHILL!!
There have been NO details....

"OH NO A NEW PRODUCER!!!!...Chris Thomas must have REALLY screwed things up!!"
And how do we know it won't be a sooner than later release...
What if it's a 12 song record with 8 songs in the can, being mixed/mastered.
And 4 songs that the band "might" have felt would be stronger linked up with SL.
That happens a great deal.
No Doubt used Nellee Hooper, Sly & Robbie, Ric Ocasek, Prince, & Steely & Clevie, on "Rock Steady".
And besides...no one has to wait until the release date, there WILL be a single out a couple of months before the record, and the U2.com clips---like with ATYCLB.
U2 knows what they are doing, and I doubt that they would get as far as nearing the completion of a record before realizing they weren't happy with the producer.
This record will rock, and I'm sure it will be here before you know it!!

plans can go wrong

rjhbonovox said:
For me it's not the fact that they don't look like releasing it for at least another 8 months (if were lucky)....but the fact that all last year the statements about being in the home straight, nearly finished, were going straight in the studio after the tour, blah, blah, blah thats what pisses me off. Why not just say were not releasing anything new until at least the Autumn of 2004 then there would be no complaints about it. An album every 4 years is about the norm for U2 anyway.

I know they said all those things, IMO they had the intention to release it in early 2004 and then something went wrong - and so they called Lillywhite. However I believe that it's not starting over but just finishing a few songs off.

Back
Top Bottom