(02-09-2004) Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album - Billboard *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album

Mercury U.K. joint managing director Steve Lillywhite has left his role with the label to return to his roots in record production. Lillywhite tells Billboard.biz he will take no time off and will begin producing an album by U2 next week. The as-yet-untitled set is due from Interscope/Island later this year.

"It's the first time I'll have gone in to actually start a record with them in 20 years," says Lillywhite. "I worked on 'The Joshua Tree,' 'Achtung Baby' and 'All That You Can't Leave Behind,' but this will be the first time I've really set up the mikes and done everything for a long time."

Lillywhite also oversaw the band's first two albums, 1980's "Boy" and 1981's "October." He adds, "I've heard some great songs. The Edge is playing some really great guitar."

The new U2 album will be the follow-up to 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind," which debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 4.1 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set was named best rock album at the 2001 Grammys and placed three tracks in the top-10 of Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks airplay chart: "Beautiful Day" (No. 5), "Elevation" (No. 8) and "Walk On" (No. 10).

Lillywhite, one of Britain's top rock producers, has a list of credits that includes the Rolling Stones, Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, Morrissey and the Dave Matthews Band. In 2002, he was brought to Universal U.K. by chairman/CEO Lucian Grainge.

"I've had two great years, and I've loved a lot of it," says Lillywhite, "but really I wasn't that made out for getting up early in the morning. That's 25 years of producing records. I got more and more of an urge to be in the studio, so Lucian and I had a chat and decided it was best that I return to that."

Wow...looks like the U2star report of starting a totally new session out in Spain could be spot on. Bring it on...

Last edited:
Are U2 recording two albums at the same time? Kind of like The Lord of the Rings movies all being filmed at once? U2 might want to release the 2nd album right after the tour for the first album? Or maybe they want to make a double album? Maybe they want to make an album as long and varied as The White Album. Or, maybe, they're just damn slow.

I think its sad that the band may be moving to Spain to record, (only a rumour at this point intime) this would have been the last album to be recorded at Hanover Quay in Dublin.
The band should stay at home and get on with it!!

Bono's Tart said:
I think its sad that the band may be moving to Spain to record, (only a rumour at this point intime) this would have been the last album to be recorded at Hanover Quay in Dublin.

Dublin can make you feel very at home and very welcomed - yet at the same time, Ireland can make you feel very boxed in and/or out of the way!!

:scratch:

I don't know if Achtung Baby would've been the same record if U2 hadn't started it in Berlin:huh: , so maybe it's not a bad thing that U2 are recording this album somewhere different - it could be another string to their bow and U2 are very popular in Spain.:yes:

U2's best albums benefit from international flavour and experience IMHO (Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, Achtung Baby) so I'm sure that's just what U2 are doing with this next album.

I'm very excited to hear this new album - I wonder if Edge is adding some flamenco to this mix (Spain is the home of guitars after all!!):shrug: :hmm: :applaud:

:confused: Does next album mean this one, "Solar", or the album afterwards ?

It should be interesting to see them working together. :hyper:

I?m very happy with this new, about the back of Steve Lillywhite. Edge admires the way of Lillywhite at the studio..."Steve has a particular style, he?s really good in the studio, at maintaining the momentum of work, at not letting things go off the boil." And, if is true the rumor about Spain, I suppose could be a good idea, work in the land of Spanish guitar. I think, different inspirations, can work very well with U2. I imagine..."Seconds"..."Party Girl"..."Stuck In A Moment..." from U2-7, with the overseen of Lillywhite, and others masterpieces, ..."Streets"..."I Still Haven?t Found..." "Who?s Gonna Ride..." - well the energy, the simple energy of Lillywhite, with the little chords of Edge, will do a great work! I?m very, very excited with it, and the time isn?t important to me. The art is important!:up:

I smell problems with the 'new' album. There have been too many changes and a lot of 'starting over.' Not that taking the time and getting it right is a bad thing, I just think there may be some problems within the band about which direction they should go.

Michael Griffiths said:
Or, maybe, they're just damn slow.

even the most faithful begin to show their disappointment.

Bono's Tart said:

It's not unusual for a band to record in various studios. Wonderful inspiration from magical places and less distractions.

I just can't believe this. I wonder how much of the album they are scratching?? it sounds like they are starting completely over- things must have been verrrry shitty!!! :huh: :(

I hope they give us a few more details soon.. i'm doubting they can release something by Sept at this point.

so so confusing :sad::sad:

Elvis said:
Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album

Mercury U.K. joint managing director Steve Lillywhite has left his role with the label to return to his roots in record production. Lillywhite tells Billboard.biz he will take no time off and will begin producing an album by U2 next week. The as-yet-untitled set is due from Interscope/Island later this year.

so the album is still "due" this year...

"It's the first time I'll have gone in to actually start a record with them in 20 years," says Lillywhite. "I worked on 'The Joshua Tree,' 'Achtung Baby' and 'All That You Can't Leave Behind,' but this will be the first time I've really set up the mikes and done everything for a long time."

What in the bluest of blue hells do you mean START a record??? If they're just starting now, what the hell have they been doing for the past 3 years?

Lillywhite also oversaw the band's first two albums, 1980's "Boy" and 1981's "October." He adds, "I've heard some great songs. The Edge is playing some really great guitar."

wait wait... i thought you were starting the album. how can they have some great songs if you're just starting?

The new U2 album will be the follow-up to 2000's "All That You Can't Leave Behind"

so what the hell happened to all of chris thomas' work? this is obviously THE new album, and not a second cd or anything... so what the hey?

Yup it sure looks like the Chris Thomas sessions are for nought. I always get confused by U2's antics when they're halfway through a project. POP was supposed to be hip-hop/trip-hop influenced ?!? What about Bono's quotes that Edge was tearing up the floor with some incredible noises for this album ?? What about 4 men in a room gelling together as one unit ?? What about being the best band in the world - does the best band in the world select the wrong producer (again)? If I were Paul McGuinness, I'd handcuff Bono to the mixing desk with laptop and lyric book, threaten him with his balls if he moves...the lad simply has to pay attention to one thing and one thing only.

Too bad your band died while you were off saving the world.

Last edited:
Man, some seriously bad shit must have went down in the studio. God only knows what's going on at this point. At first they were producing with Chris Thomas....then Daniel came in for a little while....and now Steve is coming in. They've been to France to work on the album twice, and now there is talk of them going to Spain for awhile, then going to the US afterwards to finish it. Something doesn't smell right.

They'll get down to Spain and probably just fuck off on the beach all day and say "what album? 'Ey Edge....hook up the jet skis!"

Funny with all the bad talking. Just because they are changing locations and producers doesn't mean much, other than they are changing locations and producers. If it doesn't sound perfect with Chris Thomas, why should they keep him? I'm sure the songs are there, they just want that "sound." Plus, Lillywhite's one of the best. Just my opinion.

TheFly84138 said:
Funny with all the bad talking. Just because they are changing locations and producers doesn't mean much, other than they are changing locations and producers. If it doesn't sound perfect with Chris Thomas, why should they keep him? I'm sure the songs are there, they just want that "sound." Plus, Lillywhite's one of the best. Just my opinion.

Lillywhite's comments lead me to believe otherwise...(emphasis mine)

"It's the first time I'll have gone in to actually start a record with them in 20 years,"

and
?this will be the first time I?ve really set up the mikes and done everything for a long time? -source

Seems to me they are starting fresh.

I agree if Lillywhite is gonna produce the best album, then let's go! He's been incredible in the past. But I am disappointed to see a year "wasted"....... and having to wait longer!

In my earlier post I just meant that as HQ is due to be demolished it would have been great for this album to have been done there.
I'm quite aware that the band have recorded in various places and with all their money they can go where they want. I do think though that some people have read to much into one quote regarding "..from setting up the mics", its not all the tracks just some of them.

fah said:
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Good things come to those who wait.

Christmas is coming.

That's my philosophy about it too... I don't want to hear it before it's ready to be heard.

have any of you ever recorded an album?

you're all nuts. U2 could record an album in a two weeks if they had to, provided they have the songs. There's a good chance they have a bunch of songs and they're trying to find different producers to get different input on structure, tones and overall feel. Yes, they tend to take a long time in the studio, but seriously - it's not like they're breaking up. They're simply trying different producers to work the songs they have into one cohesive album. You can all back off the ledge a little, it doesn't mean a whole lot...

I think Lillywhite's quote about "setting up the mikes" refers to the fact that for several years he's worked with U2 as a remix producer. By the time he came in all the tracks were already recorded and he just did the mixing. It looks like this time the band is interested in actually rerecording the tracks they've already done with Chris Thomas, rather than just letting Lillywhite remix them.

Re: Re: (02-09-2004) Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album - Billboard *

Headache in a Suitcase said:
What in the bluest of blue hells do you mean START a record??? If they're just starting now, what the hell have they been doing for the past 3 years?

wait wait... i thought you were starting the album. how can they have some great songs if you're just starting?

They are not starting from scratch. The songs are there, it's just a matter of recording and producing them (for which Lillywhite will give his imput). I agree with bobmarley - calm down everyone, the album will be done when its done and all this means is they're getting new imput so that they can be completely satisfied with the overall record.

Re: have any of you ever recorded an album?

bobmarley said:
you're all nuts. U2 could record an album in a two weeks if they had to, provided they have the songs. There's a good chance they have a bunch of songs and they're trying to find different producers to get different input on structure, tones and overall feel. Yes, they tend to take a long time in the studio, but seriously - it's not like they're breaking up. They're simply trying different producers to work the songs they have into one cohesive album. You can all back off the ledge a little, it doesn't mean a whole lot...

:applaud: I completely agree! If it means sacrificing quality because of time restraints, it's not worth it. There is an Art to it, and something like that can't be rushed.

I've been lurking for too long...

Man, some people need to get a life! I hope some of you people have more going on in your life than waiting for the next U2 album. Let them do what they need to do. They've been doing this stuff for 25 years; they know what they're doing.

Life is a hell of a lot busier and complicated as you get older, so give them a break. They can do what the hell they want for as long as they want to take to do it, in any manner they see fit. PERIOD. Sheesh.

If people don't want to be U2 fans anymore because their whole world revolves around the next U2 album, and they feel disappointed that it's taking long, then that is their choice. It's a sad statement they're making about themselves, but it's their choice.

Back
Top Bottom