(02-09-2004) Steve Lillywhite To Produce Next U2 Album - Billboard *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have to agree with the last few posts, i think too much is being made into this. Steve Lillywhite made these quotes because he has been doing another job for the last couple years, and hes just expressing how much he wanted to come back and be real producer.

You don't just do studio sessions with Chris Thomas, a legendary producer, and Daniel Lanois, whose like the 5th member of u2, and not take anything from the sessions. I think they have made a lot of songs, I think Steve is going to do a few more and put the finishing touches on the album. I gaurantee all three will be listed as producers of this album.

The only thing is this does confirm that there is basically no hope of the album coming out before the fall of 04. One thing about all these rumours though, I hear all these amazing quotes about the new CD, and they are all about Edge's guitar playing. You can add another one with Lillywhite saying "I've heard some great songs, Edge is really playing some great guitar" or whatever. But no one is talking about Bono's lyrics and songwriting, there hasnt been one quote saying "Bono wrote this brilliant song that we cant wait to work with in the studio." Maybe the "snag" was Bono lyrics left something to be desired. It's not like hes ever with the rest of the group. I love the work that he does but stop saving the world for a few months and give your day job all your attention.

This is a U2 board. This is where U2 fans bitch about the bands very poor recording habits. When we're not here we're working, loving, and living. But when we are here we're gonna talk about the 300lb gorilla in the corner: U2 and their "troubles" w/ a record that that band themselves has been saying "should be out soon" for almost 2 years now. Don't worry, I'll survive just fine when the announcement comes it'll be out NEXT spring (if ever).

Who are we to judge their "recording habits"? It's not a habit -- it's something on their list of goals -- some goals take longer than others for whatever reason. And none of their reasons are any of our business.

MrBrau1 said:
This is a U2 board. This is where U2 fans bitch about the bands very poor recording habits. When we're not here we're working, loving, and living. But when we are here we're gonna talk about the 300lb gorilla in the corner: U2 and their "troubles" w/ a record that that band themselves has been saying "should be out soon" for almost 2 years now. Don't worry, I'll survive just fine when the announcement comes it'll be out NEXT spring (if ever).

Yup! It's very interesting to me to decipher what goes on in the recording studio with the little information we are provided, and do so with other fans who are also curious. If being disappointed that things aren't where they said they are makes me a bad fan, hey whatever. I'm always gonna love them, I'm not gonna stand on some ledge :eyebrow: but you can bet your tour expenses I'm gonna talk about it! :tongue:

ThatGuy, thanks for the info! I don't know all the lingo :wink:

Eh, I'm not sure if the lingo is correct, and it's not hard info, more like an educated guess. :wink: But it's a well-educated guess, for what it's worth.

I'll judge them however I want. Ya know what, I don't like some of their songs. Lots of their tunes mean the world to me, but the one's I don't like, well, I can say they stink. They don't owe me any explanation, not in the slightest. But by the same token, I don't own them anything. I've paid for all my records and concerts w/ money i worked to earn. This record will be grand, and I can't wait to have it in my hands and head. But they take too long to record, and something is rotten in Denmark.

Is that a fair explanation of how I feel?

Last edited:
Yes, it's fair -- you are completely entitled to your opinion.

But it's totally and completely unfair to judge them, and to assume that something is wrong when we have no idea whatsoever what is really happening.

Maybe they are just casually lounging around deciding they want to take their sweet time, and all laughing about it -- who knows? I sure don't. And neither does anyone else.

We can speculate all we want, but all most people do here is speculate negatively. And the only reason people think negatively is because they are frustrated that there is no album yet. Human nature, of course, but totally irrational, and, IMVHO, speaks volumes about how much we humans worry way too much about people and events totally beyond our control.

I usually don't get into debates like this... :)

MrBrau1 said:
This record will be grand, and I can't wait to have it in my hands and head. But they take too long to record, and something is rotten in Denmark.

Is that a fair explanation of how I feel?

That's pretty much it. We've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting...and there's been glitch after glitch, new producers here, Bono off doing charity work there, delay after delay. We just want to know what in the sam hill is going on, and when we can expect the new album, that's all.

I guess it's like a baseball game that's gone into extra innings...and this is about the 23rd inning, fans are going to get antsy. And we're going to talk about it.

oliveu2cm said:

Lillywhite's comments lead me to believe otherwise...(emphasis mine)

and

Seems to me they are starting fresh.

I agree if Lillywhite is gonna produce the best album, then let's go! He's been incredible in the past. But I am disappointed to see a year "wasted"....... and having to wait longer!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

As long as it's all in the name of art. They must've really disliked the first cut...

I'd love to be surprised by a u2 recording, but in my 20 years or so of following this band, I've never really been surpried by a U2 record (I'm talking releases here, not music :wink:)

Yeah, I needed to be clear on that part. AB, and Zooropa made my head spin when they came out, and ATYCLB to a lesser degree.

Here's ONE positive element that may develop from this:
Here's a pipedream...

Remember when Lillywhite was working with Dave Mathews and Dave decided to change horses midstream and go with Ballard? And not to long after Lillywhite's seperation, the "Lillywhite Sessions", aka Busted Stuff, appeared on the net...Maybe Chris Thomas feels he has to set the "record" straight, and, god bless him, he leaks the rough cuts over the net! Wishful thinking I know,but that would get us through the summer...

Drive

Drive said:
Here's ONE positive element that may develop from this:
Here's a pipedream...

Remember when Lillywhite was working with Dave Mathews and Dave decided to change horses midstream and go with Ballard? And not to long after Lillywhite's seperation, the "Lillywhite Sessions", aka Busted Stuff, appeared on the net...Maybe Chris Thomas feels he has to set the "record" straight, and, god bless him, he leaks the rough cuts over the net! Wishful thinking I know,but that would get us through the summer...

Drive

I have a question for you:
I'm not a big DM fan, so could you tell me: does the Lillywhite stuff sound drastically different than the other stuff? if so, how? and, is it better? same or differernt material?

"I have a question for you:
I'm not a big DM fan, so could you tell me: does the Lillywhite stuff sound drastically different than the other stuff? if so, how? and, is it better? same or differernt material?"

HEY JOFO:

Well in this case, yeah it was drastically different. There was an uprising from DM's fans who had heard the material produced by Lillywhite who felt it was much better then what many saidwas the overly "commercial" sounding Ballard work. On the other hand, dave and crew let it be known that they didn't like Lillywhite's attitude and somewhat cavalier approach in dealing with their creative endeavors. In my opinion, the work that lillywhite produced, although still unfinished when released over the net, was much more raw, dark and rocking...which is exactly what i hope he adds to the future U2 Album.

Drive

Back
Top Bottom