(01-23-2003) Bono Says U2 Working On 'A Guitar Record' - MTV News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.mtv.com/

Bono Says U2 Working On 'A Guitar Record'
01.23.2003 7:56 AM EST

Anyone with a copy of War or The Joshua Tree in their collection might disagree, but Bono is calling U2's next album their first guitar-driven outing.

"We're banging the dustbin lids back home in Dublin. We've got a rehearsal studio/recording studio type of deal," the Irish singer said at the Golden Globes on Sunday, where he was a presenter. He and The Edge also accepted Best Original Song for "The Hands That Built America," U2's contribution to "Gangs of New York (see " 'Chicago' Knocks 'Em Dead, Wins Three Golden Globes").

"Edge, I must say, is really doing some extraordinary stuff," Bono added. "It's a guitar record. Which is, I think, our first."

U2's last studio album, 2000's redefining All That You Can't Leave Behind, saw the band abandoning many of the eccentricities of their '90s output in favor of more bombastic songs. "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" became nearly inescapable at radio.

"I love singles in rock and roll, the great 45s," Bono said. "That's what I loved about Nirvana, that's what I loved about the Sex Pistols, and going back to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones ? when you make that one record that changes everything."

"It's at the beginning. We're working on the songs right now," The Edge explained. "It's far too early to say if anything's a single. But there's some nice stuff coming through."

Bono added that U2's next album should surface by the end of the year or early 2004.

? Ryan J. Downey, with additional reporting by Nick Zano

Great news.
There?s a rare recording of a "guitar instrumental" called MONTGOMERY?S VISIT by the Edge.
Perhaps it?s what the band is referring to as it?s next album going to sound like.
"Montgomery?s Visit" is a pretty good tune, but never made it out into being a hit.Too bad.

Max-theHitMan said:
Great news.
There?s a rare recording of a "guitar instrumental" called MONTGOMERY?S VISIT by the Edge.
Perhaps it?s what the band is referring to as it?s next album going to sound like.
"Montgomery?s Visit" is a pretty good tune, but never made it out into being a hit.Too bad.

Cool. Where can you download this track??

told you so!

it's a PUNK record! :)

keep trying, republican flag cutters, you are all dust!

-Julie

:shrug:

there, there, keep your HATS on, men!

:heart: Luv, luv and rockets!

Interesting news! :)

One must wonder though, with the amount of guitars on first 3 U2 albums and Achtung Baby, what else could be a guitar driven album?

Back
Top Bottom