(01-22-2004) Exclusive: More U2 Album News -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
main reasons for delay are:
- bono's constant absence in recording studio caused by his non-musical activities (which makes him look like he was no longer band member)
- absence of any good ideas for songs (if there were any 'big tunes' as bono called them we would have an album out last year i suppose - it seems that there was no momentum to be captured)
i remeber the time when 'achtung baby', 'zooropa' and 'pop' were recorded and one could feel that sense of community in the band that i guess is lost now. it seems like they are not focusing on making music anymore or maybe making music is no longer a challenge for them. i remember bono saying thet 'risk is the very essence of rock'n'roll'.well, try to find any risk in ATYCLB.

Piss on risk. Pop was a risk, and save a few tunes, it's a pile of crap. ATYCLB was better because the focus was on songs, ya know, those things? All the frosting of cool and trendy that hurt those Pop songs was gone, all they did w/ ATYCLB was write and record tunes, Simple.

Re: Exclusive: More U2 Album News -- Interference.com *

dsmith2904 said:
Exclusive: More U2 Album News

Interference.com has received word from a reliable source that that the next U2 album is nowhere near completion and has a tentative release of September 2004. A very massive tour is tentatively planned to start in February 2005.

We have also heard from a source with Universal France that that label has not gotten any official word on the title or release date of U2's next album.
i really really believe that they started the whole work again!!

ok ladies! The reason pop sucked was that it was pushed to market by the label and not by the band. It was intially to be released in 1996. The band delayed. The label requested it in early spring and the band coughed it up to make the label happy. If you listen to best of 1900-2000, you will hear the tracks (non-remixes) as there were to be. This is label shit that we are speaking of here boys and girls, not the band.

It is like movies that we see today. The film does not go straight to theater once the final production is finished. The film is screened by a consortium of people to get a reaction. In this case, the label listens and can reject what they hear. Or, probably more accurate in this case, the band recorded the album and sent it off to Daniel Lanois so he could bless it. He may have not liked the sound and sent it back to the band.

I honestly feel the worst thing the band ever did was bring in Eno. It screwed up their raw sound that made their frist three albums great.

I am sorry to be harsh and calling all of you ladies. I apologize. I feel as though there is a riff in the band and that the tension is created by having a lead singer who is not always in the room. I champion the efforts of Bono for his causes. If it was not for the high profile of U2 , he could not do what he is doing with AIDS in Africa. But at what cost to the band Larry created.

Bands are like street gangs. They have their own idiosyncracies that we are not privy to. So, we have no idea what Larry thinks of his leader trying get justice in the world at the expense of the U2. They are not put on this earth to perform for us when we say jump. They do that on their own volition. So we wait with patience.

"I honestly feel the worst thing the band ever did was bring in Eno. It screwed up their raw sound that made their frist three albums great."

Wow Max...That is a BOLD statement which, in my opinion, is completely empty. How can you say that Exit isn't raw...how can you say that Acrobat isn't raw--and many others. His collaboration with the group has brought some of the finest material they've done!Again, in my opinion...

With regard to the release of the next album: I just can't believe that we're not getting our chain yanked here, and that indeed the album will be released months BEFORE September. Yes it could be a false hope of mine--Yes, this would be a different kind of hype from previous albums. But how do we go from Bono's statements in the latter part of '03 (and Paul McG's) that the album was VERY close to being finished--and the several articles we all read:

"U2 have completed the main recording sessions for their next album, scheduled for release early in 2004, at a secret studio on the French Riveira. Guitarist The Edge summed up the new record, as yet untitled, as "raw rock'n'roll....a band in its primary colours of guitar, bass, drums, voice and a lot of vitality and energy"

--To SUDDENLY September for a release? They've always created hype. I think we, the tried and true, are the last bastion for that hype this time around.

Maxwellhouse said:
ok ladies! The reason pop sucked was that it was pushed to market by the label and not by the band.

I was about to say 'Oi! POP's not crap! ...and stop calling me a lady!'.

But you see I'm having a rare night in and watching a video from 1987 called 'World In Action' all about U2 in Ireland in 1987 that I haven't seen for a long time (and it's f*****g great) and there are some ads in the interval that are very British TV 1987. Right as I started to type an advert for the long lost 'Maxwell House' coffee came on which I haven't seen since I was 11 and then I saw that you are called Maxwellhouse and now I'm freaked out - how bizzare is that?!!

Oi!!!!! POP DIDN'T SUCK!!!!!!!!
I guess some of you didn't get it.........That's cool!
I'm sure if it had sold 15 million copies.........The band wouldn't have said it wasn't finished......IMO
.......as for the delay on the new album.....I'm happy to wait...........every time they release a new album it's a bonus as far as I'm concerned........The only problem is that there's gonna be such a hunger for the fans to hear their next one that........it had better be good..............but at the end of the day they've made some of the sweetest, darkest, most beautiful and interesting music this planet has ever heard....They don't owe us anything!!!!

I don't think there's another band on the planet that has so much to live up to or that carries such a weight of expectation.........and so far they've always delivered........and managed somethin new every time!!!!!

I am sorry to whiz on your parade about Eno, but the band had just come of the War LP prodced by Jimmy Iovine. It had a strong idea of anthem-type ideas thoat wove their ways through the album. Then came the anticipated The Unforgettable Fire. Back then, this was an album and not a cd. The A side was rocking and then you turned it over and got into the b-side with the whispy tunes like: Promenade, 4th of July, Indian Summer Sky, Elvis Presley and America. These were not the hard tracks that U2 fans were use to. We were stuck in the 80s with shite music and this was our way out of the doldrums of crap on the radio.

With The Unforgettable Fire, U2 strayed from beats and rythms got them to this point and I feel that Eno and his 'Music for Airports' style had taken over.Yes, Exit is fabulous. Yes, In God's Country is hot. Achtung Baby is brilliant. At the time of the release, The Unforgettable Fire let down my friends and I. We felt betrayed and that the band was becoming to studio driven like some of the work on Pop. There seemed to be dissent in the recording studio.I am older and wiser and hate to hang my hat on that , but the Joshua Tree was U2's saving grace and they pumped the livin' hell out of it. That is why the overexposure of rattle and Hum nearly killed the band. I will say this that without the Joshua Tree, this band would be just another 80s hair band.

ATYCLB is the answer or the second coming of the Joshua Tree. Yet again, they make a flop with Pop and have to come back swinging. It is not that i think that Pop is a crap recording, because it is not. The Best of 1990-2000 proves it with the real version of Gone and a remix of Starin At the Sun. The boys were chasing an idea to make a 'pop' record which is hard to do when you are a rock badn. The album only stands well in the studio and is hard to tour without a billion, million backing tracks like INStYNCk.

Now, let us compare the band to the Beatles. What made the Beatles so great is the way they changed with their musical style in the section of 6 years. They went from a bublegum style to a band that challenged themselves musically almost overnight. That can't happen today because of the huge mass upheaval at the time with the drug culture and world politics. I think that U2 aspires to be the Beatles. U2 did set their mark on music with Achtung Baby by making rock cool and bringing in electronica.

So I am off my soap box and no apologies. Just words from a friend.

Max...,
I'm not old enough to have been conscious when War or the Unforgettable Fire were realeased. Your perspective is one that I have never heard before, but more importantly it makes good sense. I've always been curious about why Zooropa or Pop were so...strange...for lack of a better term and why, all of a sudden, ATYCLB came out and blew people's minds away. I find your comparison of ATYCLB to The Josua Tree really fascinating - not to mention convincing.

I'm geniuinely confused about one thing. Why did the overexposure of R&H almost kill the band? What is your opinion of R&H?

I know this is impossible for you to answer with any certainty, but what does a delay indicate you? (Answered indirectly will be what you think of Lanois.) Does it indicate it wasn't enough market driven and Lanois wanted it to be more so or vice-versa?

History tells us nothing. U2 has never had less than two successive albums that I consider successful (they've always had at least 2 in a row), but then again, maybe the success of ATYCLB will inspire more market chasing? What do you think?

Thanks,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom