(01-21-2003) U2's Bono Declares War for Daniel Day-Lewis - FOX News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.foxnews.com/

U2's Bono Declares War for Daniel Day-Lewis

Yes, they're both Irish and live near each other for a good part of the year. But superstar rocker Bono doesn't really know Academy Award-winning actor Daniel Day-Lewis.

Bono told me as the Golden Globe Awards show ended Sunday night that in reality he's just Day-Lewis' most ardent admirer and wants him to win another Oscar for Gangs of New York.

"This is nothing to knock Jack Nicholson, who did an amazing job and is a wonderful actor," Bono said, "but he's got a bunch of Oscars. Now he's got the Golden Globe. And Daniel deserves it for Gangs of New York. He's incredible. You can't deny it!"

Bono told me he was willing to do almost anything to get the word out about Day-Lewis. He did concede that Day-Lewis, unlike Nicholson, is not much of an awards campaigner.

"You see Jack up on stage and you know he loves the whole process," Bono said. "Daniel probably comes across as reticent. But believe me, he wants it too."

Bono ? who wrote and sang the Golden Globe-winning theme song from Gangs ? may have triggered something in Day-Lewis. At the Miramax afterparty at Trader Vic's I actually got to ask Day-Lewis if he even cared about winning the Oscar. (He last won in 1989 for My Left Foot.)

"I do," Day-Lewis responded, "but I care more about it for Marty."

He was referring of course to director Martin Scorsese, who won his first-ever award Sunday night. Believe it or not, he'd never won a Golden Globe or an Oscar, despite directing such classics as Raging Bull and GoodFellas.

Was Scorsese surprised that he finally won?

"The tip-off," the director confessed, "was when I saw the look on Harrison Ford's face when he opened the envelope. He's an old friend, and I had a feeling as soon as he saw the winner that he was going to say my name."

Day-Lewis, by the way, will take a little time off in Greece with his wife Rebecca Miller and their children before returning to the States and more Gangs promotion to help Scorsese get his first Oscar. But Bono will likely be right there at his side, pitching in to get Day-Lewis his second one.

If you're keeping count, by the way, Nicholson most recently won for As Good As It Gets in 1997. He also has Oscars for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Terms of Endearment, as well as a slew of nominations for Reds, Batman, Hoffa, and Chinatown.

Thank you, meegannie!

Back
Top Bottom