(01-21-2003) JJ72 Singer Likens Bono to God - Undercover Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.undercover.com.au/

JJ72 Have A Direct Link To God

Irish band JJ 72 have a direct link with God. Well, not exactly, but they have met Bono.

Lead singer Mark Greaney tells Undercover News their link goes like this. "Bono's met the Pope and I wouldn't mind meeting the old bastard either" he says laughing. "I've met Bono a few times. I've got a natural link to Godliness. I have met Bono. I have touched a profit. There should be someone in between me and Bono at the moment, probably Chris Martin. It should go Chris Martin, Bono, Pope, God. Actually worldwide right now Bono might be level pegging with the Pope, if not ahead of him".

The music of JJ72 is often described as having a religious overtone. "I don't think I'm any more "religious" than the next person" he says. "I think about where the fuck I'm going when I die but that's about it. It is not a huge influence. I mean, I was brought up a Catholic in a Catholic country and went to a Catholic school. It is not the mainstay of life. It is just something I find interesting from time to time when it suits me".

Scribes have even noted that symbols next to each song on the cover of their new album 'I To Sky' have religious meaning. "Oh that's just a load of bullshit really" says Mark. "I just thought they'd look good. I just got them from an old book that has been knocking around my house for years. Some are medieval, they aren't all religious. They just represent some parallel to sentiment within the song. It is just a decoration really. They are just there for aesthetic reasons".

Even song titles like 'I Saw A Prayer' and 'Serpent Sky' allude to a religious background. "It was just something that when I wrote the second album just flowed out naturally" he says. "It wasn't like I set out to make a religious album because it was so important to me. It is just an obvious metaphor for life really. Music and religion are so closely linked anyway. They both aspire to other worldly things. It seemed like an almost natural step to combine them. In equal parts, music is as important to Irish people as religion".

The JJ72 'I To Sky' album was produced by Flood (U2, Smashing Pumpkins). It was released this week by Sony.

By Paul Cashmere

Back
Top Bottom