(01-14-2004) Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype! -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what a good yahoo search this one turned out to be

U2
ETA: Early spring
Strokes-influenced set for Bono and the boys
AN EARLY spring release looks likely for U2?s latest album, with the new generation of garage rockers being touted as a key influence. The Edge recently summed up the new record, as yet untitled, as "raw rock?n?roll". Bono went a step further, describing the album as "punk rock made on Venus" dominated by guitars going up to "Number 11". Largely recorded on the French Riviera, the sequel to U2?s hugely successful 2000 Grammy winner, ?All That You Can?t Leave Behind?, breaks with a long tradition by swapping their regular studio team of Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno for veteran Beatles and Sex Pistols producer Chris Thomas. Although still shrouded in secrecy, the album will be followed by U2?s first world tour in three years, which will likely be 2004's biggest rock crowd-puller. The Irish supergroup have already tentatively booked Dublin?s Phoenix Park this summer. (Stephen Dalton)

dont ask me how good that source is...i'm just the searcher

I'm not Chicken Little and I don't think the sky is falling.

I'm disappointed and if it's true, I think it's a piss poor decision on their part, but then again, if they are unhappy with it so far, what's the sense in releasing it?

Next winter could be March 19th, 2005, keep that in mind, so you may be anywhere from 11-14 months away from the release if this information is true. I personally think that is clearly too long, but on the other hand, I'd love to go to Europe in September and no tour means I've got more disposable income.

In the recent weeks, I started thinking more and more it will be September or maybe October, but if they want a huge summer tour, I guess I could see them pushing it to winter. What I don't get is that January is really dismal when it comes to sales and while things pick up in February, it's still not the most lucrative time to release a record. Therefore, I'd think December/Christmas rush makes sense, but holy God, is that a long time away.

Never have U2 released an album in December and they wont start now. This is bullshit the album will be released in Spring or at latest early summer. My guess would be end March. This next winter statement was made to keep you all guessing. In february the new single will be doing the rounds around radio stations. Followed by a release in early March and then the album to follow 3 weeks after that. Thats a prediction based on U2's past history for releasing albums. In the past its been either the Spring (Joshua tree, pop) or autumn (rattle and hum, achtung baby, atyclb, unforgettable fire) a summer release for zooropa. Next Autumn is far too late. Now if this is wrong then the new material may have been trashed and as someone said in a previous comment they have made a mistake with not having Eno & Lanois on board. But in my opinion its set for release this March. I also read a week or two ago that Lanois was dropping into the studio to check how things were going. or did I dream that.

That's disappointing. I don't think U2 sucks now, or that I'll be any less of a fan whenever they do get this album out, and I also don't know what to believe at this point. I'm not going to get angry about it because, as far as I"m concerned, there's still some hope for the near future; in the Virgin Radio interview Bono stumbled between "finished" and "nearly finished." And yes, his word may not be worth as much as seeing an actual official release date, and he did recently throw away tapes with the pizza boxes, but a slip of the tongue in an interview seems more honest than rehersed answers. :shrug: Just my opinion.

The biggest disappointment is the thought of waiting for the tour. I'm looking forward to the album, but I'm looking forward to live shows even more.

Schmeg said:
That's disappointing. I don't think U2 sucks now, or that I'll be any less of a fan whenever they do get this album out, and I also don't know what to believe at this point. I'm not going to get angry about it because, as far as I"m concerned, there's still some hope for the near future; in the Virgin Radio interview Bono stumbled between "finished" and "nearly finished." And yes, his word may not be worth as much as seeing an actual official release date, and he did recently throw away tapes with the pizza boxes, but a slip of the tongue in an interview seems more honest than rehersed answers. :shrug: Just my opinion.

The biggest disappointment is the thought of waiting for the tour. I'm looking forward to the album, but I'm looking forward to live shows even more.

:yes:

Right now I take anything regarding the album with a grain of salt. Yes this is a response from a PR person but in PR they know how to play the game. When they want to leak info they will do it when they want to do it. I don't really thing too much of an email response as it could have been sent by anyone who may work for this person. We send emails at work all the time with the directors name on it when they havent even seen the issue or the response. Who is to say what the communication has been between the band's camp and PR people at this point. I would tend to lean toward what the band's camp has to say as they are more than likely closer to the whole process of the album being recorded etc.

Yes I am disappointed if this turns out to be true as I am ready for some new music from the guys and more than ready for a tour. I've played the waiting game before and while it's frustrating and irritating in the end it has been worth it for me. I will never stop being a fan for a reason as small as they dont put out an album when I want it to released.

If what they have been working on isnt meshing or coming together then I would rather wait a little longer for something of quality than to have them just release it to please everyone else.

Moonlit_Angel said:

I distinctly remember hearing Bono say in that whole "One crap album and we're all out of here" bit that a crap album to them was not measured in sales, or even relevance. He said that if the musical magic between the four guys wasn't there anymore, that they would quit, because without that magic, there'd be no more great albums being made.

Bono (and others) also said that they made the songs on ATYCLB to be played on the radio, so that they could compete with Britney Spears. You can't say that a band doesn't care about sales and money. Sure they do. Why else would they charge $130 for tickets? They also talked of keeping the momentum going. I'm sorry, but they've lost their momentum. And they're 4 years older than they were with ATYCLB. It's that much harder to appeal to a mass audience. I think they'll be sorely disapointed with this album's sales.

If it's an excellent album it won't matter how long it takes to come out, sales-wise. If it takes extra time to make an excellent album, then so be it. I personally don't care if they sell ten copies or ten million copies; I will buy it and probably love it and my friends and family will have to put up with my obsession kicking back into overdrive. That's all that matters to me.

Schmeg said:
If it's an excellent album it won't matter how long it takes to come out, sales-wise. If it takes extra time to make an excellent album, then so be it. I personally don't care if they sell ten copies or ten million copies; I will buy it and probably love it and my friends and family will have to put up with my obsession kicking back into overdrive. That's all that matters to me.

:up:

if this is true and the new U2 album is not coming out until winter 2004/2005, that is some sad fucking shit. It's one thing if they said: "we want to spend time with our families and go to the zoo with our kids and sail around the world in a rowboat and count the grass in Ireland and knit each other sweaters INSTEAD of working on an album".
But they haven't said that.

"We want to capture the momentum"
"It's a monster"
"The edge is on fire"

yeah? well where the fuck is it?

I'm saving my harshest criticism if this is proven true. until then I'm going to pretend I never heard it and hope for a spring release.

spring 2004 that is.

All you people are like "it's ok, they're U2, they're allowed to take their sweet time". I say this:

No. They aren't allowed to take their sweet time. Now, I don't wanna get off on a rant here, but the band exists for the sole purpose of the FANS. The fans are what make the band. U2 would not exist without its fans. We brought them to where they are today; we buy the albums, we go to the concerts. Bono and The Edge and Adam and Larry are all in the positions of fantastic wealth that they are in today because we got them there. They therefore have an obligation to us, the fans, to provide us with a consistent, good product. Since about 1993, they have failed to do this. The product has been good, nay, great; however, it hasn't been consistent. A 4 year wait between Zooropa and Pop, a 3 year wait between Pop and ATYCLB, and at least 4 (5 if this is true) wait between ATYCLB and the new album. That's 3 albums in at least 11 or 12 years.

I did NOT say that I would definitely no longer be a fan if this rumour were true; I meant that it will be a lot more difficult for the band to hold and retain my interest, because the amount of time between records is causing me to look elsewhere for consistent, good music. If they lose my interest it will be that much harder to regain it. That goes even more for the casual fans, those who own ATYCLB, or JT, or AB (or any combination thereof), and listen occasionally and know the main most popular songs (Streets, WOWY, One, BD). The momentum is key; the momentum from ATYCLB and the Elevation Tour is gone. The casual fans have gone off to listen to other things, newer, more active bands that grab their interest and HOLD it. Bono has become more or less either loved or hated; loved by the band's fans and supporters of DATA's mission; hated by those who see him as arrogant and pretentious for thinking he can save the world. I think more and more people are starting to get tired of his "save the Africans" lines that he uses all the time. Those people are gone, and unless the album is stellar, most likely they won't come back.

The longer U2 waits to release this, the less and less relevant they become.

One more thing: It shouldn't take 5 years to write 12 songs. I don't care how good they are. That's less than 1 song every 6 months. It does not take that long to do. Either they have written a humoungus load of songs and are trying to improve them all, or they have written a core of songs and just can't get them to sound right. So either they are spreading themselves too thin, or they can't write a decent song anymore. I could sit down and punch out 15 semi-decent songs in a week. A couple months work on them and they'd be pretty good. It's not a difficult thing. All they need to do is stay together in one damn place for more than a week at a time.

I am almost starting to believe what people tell me when I tell them I like U2: that they are arrogant for thinking they are the best band in the world and can get away with anything at this point. They can't. They need us more than we need them. We are their livelihood. They'll always have us; the die-hard hardcore fans. But the casual fans they are losing rapidly may just give them a kick in the teeth when they release this by showing that they are fed up with this.

I'm starting to lose faith. I won't ever not be a fan of the band; I'm just scared that there are many out there who won't be if this keeps up much longer.

They need to tell us something officially. Even if it's Principle Management saying "Expect a Winter 2005 release". We as a fanbase need to know something, anything, to keep hope alive.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and that the album comes out in Spring/Summer 2004 and that it kicks my ass and that millions and millions buy it and go see the band. But I do think that this is true and I do think that the band needs to wake up and realize what the possible consequences are unless they get off their ass and get this thing out. Go to Dublin for 3 or 4 months; I'm sure Ali and the kids won't mind. Finish the album, get it mastered, and get it the hell out and you can get back to making assloads of money and being the biggest band in the world again. Please. Get up off your knees.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I'm having dinner with Bono on Saturday night. I'll ask him to clear this up once and for all....:shifty:

wow DaveC you said a mouthful, but I gotta say I really agree with you! I'm feeling quit frustrated with all this wait and disappointment!!!:huh:

The_acrobat said:
Bono (and others) also said that they made the songs on ATYCLB to be played on the radio, so that they could compete with Britney Spears. You can't say that a band doesn't care about sales and money. Sure they do. Why else would they charge $130 for tickets?

I (and Bono) never said that they didn't care about sales. Obviously they do, what band doesn't?

All I was saying was that yes, while lackluster sales would certainly hurt the band some, that isn't going to be the sole reason they ever break up. Bono said that if the musical magic is gone, that's what ultimately will make them decide to call it quits, that's when they know they've become crap.

Originally posted by The_acrobat
They also talked of keeping the momentum going. I'm sorry, but they've lost their momentum. And they're 4 years older than they were with ATYCLB. It's that much harder to appeal to a mass audience.

Says who? There's lots of people I know that listen to music made by people that are around the same age their parents are. And adults can certainly be appealed to by older artists.

Originally posted by The_acrobat
I think they'll be sorely disapointed with this album's sales.

Maybe. Nobody knows that for sure.

Honestly, maybe it's due to the fact that I haven't been a fan nearly as long as some of you, or maybe it's due to the fact that I have a lot of patience (do not mean this stuff to be insulting), or whatever...I just do not see the point in going crazy yet. I'd like to wait until official reports come out. Just because a PR person said winter is when it will be released does not automatically mean it's true. I just think people should settle down and wait for an official comment before flying off the handle and getting angry with them and all this other stuff.

Angela

DaveC,

It was 3 years 8 months between ZOOROPA and POP. It was also 3 years 8 months between POP and ATYCLB. Right now it is 3 years, two months and two weeks since ATYCLB was released.

I am hoping that do not take longer than 3 years and 8 months because they never have before. I honestly think the album is coming out in May/June time period.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
All this ruckus for bogus information. Don't Believe The Hype!!!

Exactly! Isn't that what it says at the top of this news bit?

I just find it funny that everyone's so quick to take ONE report of the album coming out in winter being true over a bunch of other reports (some from the band themselves) saying it will be released in the spring or summer.

And I feel bad for U2. I really do. Either they get the album out now, even if they themselves are not fully satisfied with the results, and some fans wind up hating it, and it doesn't do well, and they get more negative comments from people, or they take their time, finish up whatever it is that needs to be finished up on it (which, again, nobody knows what it is they need to finish up, so that's another reason why going crazy right now is kinda premature), get it out, have it be excellent, but have some fans still angry at them (or just not be fans anymore) because they were tired of waiting a little longer.

Again, the downside of being the kind of band U2 is-they won't be able to please everyone.

Angela

i feel sorry for all you u2 fans hahahahhehehahhahaheheh.
face it they can never make a better album than ab or jt so no matter how long they might take it wont be .......well you get the point.

hahahah this shit is so funny hhahaahhehehehhaha.

old school u2 is the best they just suck now.

So we can expect the new U2 album to be titled Chinese Democracy? :huh:

Marty (disappointed by the news but life goes on)

This album has been a big secret, hasn't it? And maybe it's been such a big secret that not even "Regine Moylett of RMP London" has heard anything from the guys? So she responds the only thing she can: "Somebody has their wires crossed as we never said we would be making an announcement soon, as we're not. We are not expecting a record until next winter so no announcements for some time yet." All she has been told is that she can't reveal anything - because U2 know that we (on these U2 forums) are spreading rumours as hell. Well, so she responds that there is nothing to report - we don't expect any announcement soon - cause she don't know...

But on the other hand, it might be true, and of course it is disappointing. But to say that U2 is finished, well... if this is something that can finish U2, well - then U2 wasn't the band that released UF, JT, AB, POP, ATYCLB...

Maybe they need more time? They could probably release the material now, but at what costs? I think this means quality... we're up for a hell of an album. U2 are not a pop-band that release music just to get on the charts - no they want to be able to say: "This is our best album", "This is our best work".

Surely she meant winter in Australia!

But seriously, I'm not gonna believe a word of this trash from some PR lady...screw her.

I still believe the new album will come
when all the songs bleed into one
Bleed into one
This Easter I'll be running.

They will break the bonds
When they release a new album
It will carry my sorrows and my shame
Oh My shame, that I did'nt believe it

Yeah... winter in Australia, or maybe this winter... she just forgot it's 2004 now - big adjustment new years eve, right?

But i can't help thinking is this is just another attempt to fool us. It's not hard to fake the sender of an email. Did interference email this woman, or did interference just receive an email?

Last edited:
Saying the band need extra time to finish the album doesn't justify the delay. You could record 2 or 3 albums in the 9 month delay we're talking about. Something is wrong.

I'm one of those people who's reacting more calmly - that doesn't mean I don't have passion for the band and am not disappointed if this is true. It just means I'm not prone to temper tantrums and think there are a whole lot of more important things in my life and the world in general than a new album. Some of us can be truly disappointed without being nasty to the very band that we claim to love and care about.

I still maintain that they do not owe us an album. But someone said they do because we've been fans, given lots of $, etc. All true - and so we don't owe them a promise that we'll buy this album or see the new tour either, do we? No one promised that U2 (or any other group/company that we purchase from) will go on forever. Pretty sure they won't, actually. Eventually, we're all going to have to face that.

I hope the album comes out soon - but whenever it does, I hope the band is truly happy with it and ready for it to come out. To me, that's what's important.

That's not true... honestly, use your heads. Do you really think it is going to be another year? No... every other sign points to the spring.

They just don't need the pre-album hype they did for the last one, because the demand is already there.

u2grace said:
I'm one of those people who's reacting more calmly - that doesn't mean I don't have passion for the band and am not disappointed if this is true. It just means I'm not prone to temper tantrums and think there are a whole lot of more important things in my life and the world in general than a new album. Some of us can be truly disappointed without being nasty to the very band that we claim to love and care about.

I still maintain that they do not owe us an album. But someone said they do because we've been fans, given lots of $, etc. All true - and so we don't owe them a promise that we'll buy this album or see the new tour either, do we? No one promised that U2 (or any other group/company that we purchase from) will go on forever. Pretty sure they won't, actually. Eventually, we're all going to have to face that.

I hope the album comes out soon - but whenever it does, I hope the band is truly happy with it and ready for it to come out. To me, that's what's important.
Exactly how I feel. Well put!

Scenario #1:

The statement is bullshit and the album is coming out between March and May 2004. Yippee and amen.:wink:

Scenario #2:

The statement is true and the album is coming out anywhere between December 2004 and March 2005. :mad:

If scenario #2 is true, I'm willing to say Lanois screwed it up when he came in last fall to "listen". He probably started making "suggestions", and got the band to listen to the songs differently...which may have shattered their confidence in them.

or:
Bono is not finished with the lyrics.

or:
the fad of neo punk bands is already over making the latest "new" u2 direction seem like a stale fart.

I'm pissed off because I KNEW "the greatest band in the world" line was gonna come back to bite them in the ass: if the album was so great it would be out already.

p.s.
if the album is out in march I apologize for all my remarks and chalk it up to frustration.

Back
Top Bottom