(01-14-2004) Exclusive: Don't Believe the U2 Album Hype! -- Interference.com *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sue4u2 said:
I did see this in a newsletter I get from Adventures In Rock.com
COMING SOON...
U2--Tour Opener and European dates
Summer / Fall 2004 (tba)
Don't know if it means anything except they do get advance notice of tour dates.

I saw that also and checked with the site and was told that they have not gotten any definite information about the next U2 tour and are only anticipating hearing something soon.

She has been affiliated with U2 for a very long time. I met her in 1989, at that time she was in charge of who got press and photo passes.

If this is true, it shames me to say this but unless the new album comes out and just kicks my ass, I probably won't be a fan for much longer. :(

DaveC said:
If this is true, it shames me to say this but unless the new album comes out and just kicks my ass, I probably won't be a fan for much longer. :(

I think the band are so out of touch that they don't think the delay will hurt them. Boy are they in for a surprise.

spencr00 said:
Perhaps the mastering isnt going well...i personally think it's someone who's getting fed up with phone calls and e-mails asking about the album and just threw out winter just to shut us up

Isn't that the job of a publicity company? I don't believe a word of this though. Paul McGuinness, who is normally very cautions, told me last October to expect the record 'Easter time' and I can't imagine how that could have shifted my 9 months since then.

I hope I'm right but who knows..

BAFFLING!

Some of your responses are just baffling. It shocks me that some of you are actual fans of the band. Comments like you won't be fan anymore or the album will suck are pathetic.

Face it, the band won't be around forever. You don't know what their priorities are, what the songs are like, etc. They are in their 40s and they've ONLY made 4 studio albums in the past 13 years or so!

The album may be good or great, or maybe even a masterpiece. I've yet to buy a U2 album that I think completely "sucks".

January 2, 2004: Writing in today's Telegraph, longtime U2 friend Neil McCormick reports that U2's new album is due in the spring. He adds the following thoughts from half the band about their progress:

Edge claims it is their rockiest offering since their early days, while Bono claims the songs are stronger than those on their last, critically acclaimed, album, All That You Can't Leave Behind. Which suggests it is going to be something special if, as Edge jokingly but somewhat pointedly remarked, "Bono can just tear himself away from saving the world for long enough to finish the lyrics".

Re: BAFFLING!

riteshbhatt1 said:
Some of your responses are just baffling. It shocks me that some of you are actual fans of the band. Comments like you won't be fan anymore or the album will suck are pathetic.

Face it, the band won't be around forever. You don't know what their priorities are, what the songs are like, etc. They are in their 40s and they've ONLY made 4 studio albums in the past 13 years or so!

The album may be good or great, or maybe even a masterpiece. I've yet to buy a U2 album that I think completely "sucks".

You're right on the money.

riteshbhatt1 said:

:yes:

:no: OH Bummer!!!! And here i thought i was going to have to start saving up big time! Well-bright side is, i could use the time productively to save up!
:wink: :wink: but with u2-they seem to like to keep us guessing!So will be all hyper when we do finally get the word!:(

riteshbhatt1 said:
Some of your responses are just baffling. It shocks me that some of you are actual fans of the band...

The comments made aren't based on like or dislike for the band, but out of frustration because of the DEAFENING SILENCE that we've been subjected to in recent years.

I don't have a problem if they never make another album and call it quits, but LET THE FANS KNOW. Don't sit around and let us guess for years and years...that is a good way to lose fans.

U2 will always have created some of my favorite music, but I too will be very upset and lose quite a bit of interest in the band if they don't let us know something official soon.

As said in Walk On "...you can only take so much..."

riteshbhatt1 said:

No kidding. I mean, look at the long period of time between Zooropa and Pop. Pretty close to 5 years. And Zooropa was a spur of the moment idea, from what I've understood. So if that album hadn't been made, and they'd gone from Achtung Baby to Pop, it would've been a much longer wait.

Besides, I really don't understand something here: some people complain that one reason why they didn't like Pop is because they wished U2 had fully finished it, that they would've taken their time with the songs on there.

Well, now U2 have been taking time with their songs, and people are lambasting them for that. So what is it people want-the album now with some errors and some songs the band and some fans aren't too thrilled with, or the album with excellent songs, even though it took a little while to get them right? They just can't win either way.

Keep in mind, people, making a record isn't easy-not everyone can do it fast, especially since this is U2 and they get inspired by so many things, keep experimenting with many different ideas. And never mind the fact that they have families and all had other commitments within recent years, too.

Anyway, sue4u2, spencr00, EPandAmerica, and so on-I couldn't agree with you guys more. :up:. If it does wind up being winter when the album comes out, then so be it-it sucks having to continue to wait, but I can manage, I can live with it. I'd much rather U2 feel completely comfortable with every song on there, and feel that everything's the way they want it to be, than to have it come out and have some more people yell at them because it didn't seem totally finished or whatever.

Patience, people, patience.

Angela

Re: Re: BAFFLING!

Moonlit_Angel said:

No kidding. I mean, look at the long period of time between Zooropa and Pop. Pretty close to 5 years. And Zooropa was a spur of the moment idea, from what I've understood. So if that album hadn't been made, and they'd gone from Achtung Baby to Pop, it would've been a much longer wait.

Besides, I really don't understand something here: some people complain that one reason why they didn't like Pop is because they wished U2 had fully finished it, that they would've taken their time with the songs on there.

Well, now U2 have been taking time with their songs, and people are lambasting them for that. So what is it people want-the album now with some errors and some songs the band and some fans aren't too thrilled with, or the album with excellent songs, even though it took a little while to get them right? They just can't win either way.

Keep in mind, people, making a record isn't easy-not everyone can do it fast, especially since this is U2 and they get inspired by so many things, keep experimenting with many different ideas. And never mind the fact that they have families and all had other commitments within recent years, too.

Anyway, sue4u2, spencr00, EPandAmerica, and so on-I couldn't agree with you guys more. :up:. If it does wind up being winter when the album comes out, then so be it-it sucks having to continue to wait, but I can manage, I can live with it. I'd much rather U2 feel completely comfortable with every song on there, and feel that everything's the way they want it to be, than to have it come out and have some more people yell at them because it didn't seem totally finished or whatever.

Patience, people, patience.

Angela

Exactly what you said, Angela:up:

I don't really mind waiting for the new album. It gives me time to save money for the next tour. All I want is a good record, however long it takes. :yes:

Personally, I believe this latest rumor like I believed the Solar rumors...i dont know how credible the e-mail was, but I think we should just wait and see what the next few days bring. As most news stories are, fact or fiction, the first day or so tends to be a HUGE mess and people are sorting through what they know, and what they think they know. Let the dust settle before jumping to conclusions. I'm sure this isn't the end of this and I'm sure if this is true then Bono or Edge or someone close to the band will say something. As recently as 2 weeks ago, Bono was quoted as saying the album will be out by spring. I doubt something major could have happened in two weeks to delay the album this much and not hear about it.
If this rumor is true, then so be it. We've waited this long, what's another 8-10 months? I won't be less of a fan, I want the album to be as good as they can possibly make it. For all we know, it might be their last. And I would bet that nobody here is gonna walk away from U2 because of this...i seriously doubt that.
So chill out, stay patient and calm down. All we can do is play the waiting game for now.

I am soooooo let down I have been (as you all probably are) anticipating, and checking the different U2 threads almost on a daily basis, waiting for a word on the release....just to get dissapointed. Like telling a 5 year old he is going to meet Micky for the first time, after he's seen all the commercials, and then you tell him that there really is no Magic Kingdom, and there really is no Mickey!

Rome wasnt built in a day though, so I understand the time it will take to make a masterpiece. Just a little impatient.

Last edited:
Well said Angela as usual! :up: ]

Actually, it does give me more time to save... but I am still hoping for the album this spring or summer and I still have a good feeling thats when it will be :dance:

Oh jeez well I have no idea what to believe although 2005 would reaaly mess my plans up to some degree. Ah well I Guess we will see. :tsk:

I'm leaving on the next plane for dublin to get answers from the horses mouth whose with me?!?!?!?!?!? :coocoo:

spencr00 said:
Personally, I believe this latest rumor like I believed the Solar rumors...i dont know how credible the e-mail was, but I think we should just wait and see what the next few days bring. As most news stories are, fact or fiction, the first day or so tends to be a HUGE mess and people are sorting through what they know, and what they think they know. Let the dust settle before jumping to conclusions. I'm sure this isn't the end of this and I'm sure if this is true then Bono or Edge or someone close to the band will say something. As recently as 2 weeks ago, Bono was quoted as saying the album will be out by spring. I doubt something major could have happened in two weeks to delay the album this much and not hear about it.
If this rumor is true, then so be it. We've waited this long, what's another 8-10 months? I won't be less of a fan, I want the album to be as good as they can possibly make it. For all we know, it might be their last. And I would bet that nobody here is gonna walk away from U2 because of this...i seriously doubt that.
So chill out, stay patient and calm down. All we can do is play the waiting game for now.

:applaud: :up:.

Also, thanks, souLnation2002 and U2SJ. :).

Angela

I am just shot to pieces next winter ?
All the rumors have been building up to easter
If this is true can the band or someone close please let the fans know what is the truth
This is not fair on the fans i have been checking this forum eveyday for the last 3 months expecting to see a title release date ETC anything
Now this
I have been a fan for 20 years seen them live 8 times
but im growing tired of this silence

MrBrau1 said:

I think the band are so out of touch that they don't think the delay will hurt them. Boy are they in for a surprise.

You don't get it...
U2 doesn't put out albums to see how much bigger they can become

riteshbhatt1 said:

Hello this is a fan site?!?!
Right on Rites!

well said souLnation2002, U2SJ and angela as usual. Actually, it also gives me more time to save...so please, release the album in 2046, i believe i will have enough $ to buy a house.

It's dissappointing, but I'll live. Totally agree with Angela and everyone else who says we must be patient. In all fairness, they don't "owe" us a new album, they make it because they want to, they don't need to do it. They have the right to perfect it. If I were an artist, I wouldn't give in to pressure and release some work that I'm not satisfied with. I'd make sure it's the best thing I could have made. I think that's U2 compromise with us, to make the best damn music around, it's not to put out a new album every year, or two years, like some other so called artists do.

flaming june said:
It's dissappointing, but I'll live. Totally agree with Angela and everyone else who says we must be patient. In all fairness, they don't "owe" us a new album, they make it because they want to, they don't need to do it. They have the right to perfect it. If I were an artist, I wouldn't give in to pressure and release some work that I'm not satisfied with. I'd make sure it's the best thing I could have made. I think that's U2 compromise with us, to make the best damn music around, it's not to put out a new album every year, or two years, like some other so called artists do.

Exactly.

Angela

If U2 never put out another album again, it wouldn't change my degree of fandom one iota.

Of course, it would be very disappointing if we had to wait THAT long, but right now I have no money at all for the tour anyway...I could sure use the time to save up!

(but I'd still rather go into debt and have a tour this summer/fall!)

mellyinsf said:

You don't get it...
U2 doesn't put out albums to see how much bigger they can become

I get it. You don't get it. 1 crap album and they're done, Bono's words. U2's definition of a crap album is a poor selling album. They've set themselves up for failure. Maybe some of you like waiting, how about the LP come out in August 2006? You still all smiles and flowers?

The more I think about it, U2 has definately lost it somehow. It doesn't 5 years to release an album, period. The band should make some kind of annoucement, they're just leaving us dangling. They need a true reality check. I don't know if it is because I'm so ticked off right now , but, I want this album to bomb. It would be a wake up call for these guys. It's rediculous, a pure shame that this band has gone down the tubes.

Back
Top Bottom