(01-14-2004) Bono's Use of Expletive Gets Second Look -- AP *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono's Use of Expletive Gets Second Look

By JONATHAN D. SALANT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell has asked his fellow commissioners to overturn a much-criticized decision that an expletive uttered by the musician Bono on a network program was not obscene.

During last year's NBC broadcast of the Golden Globes Awards, the lead singer of the Irish rock group U2 said "this is really, really, f------ brilliant."

The FCC's enforcement bureau ruled in October that the comment was not indecent or obscene because Bono used the word as an adjective, not to describe a sexual act. "The performer used the word ... as an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation," the bureau said.

Powell circulated a proposed ruling to the four other commissioners on Tuesday. He needs the votes of two of the four to overturn the decision.

The enforcement bureau had rejected complaints from the Parents Television Council and more than 200 people, most of them associated with the conservative advocacy group, who accused dozens of television stations of violating restrictions on obscene broadcasts by airing portions of the awards program last January.

Under FCC rules, broadcasters cannot air obscene material at any time and cannot air indecent material between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.

In a letter to the Parents Television Council last November, Powell said the FCC needed to balance its rules against indecency and obscenity with the First Amendment right to free speech. Even so, he said, "I find the use of the 'F-word' on programming accessible to children reprehensible."

Some lawmakers have criticized the FCC decision.

Rep. Phil Gingrey, R-Ga., introduced a resolution that called it the "latest salvo in a string of decisions by the Federal Communications Commission that establishes a precedent regarding the use of universally recognized vulgar expletives on our nation's public airwaves."

And Reps. Doug Ose, R-Calif., and Lamar Smith, R-Texas, proposed legislation that would ban five words and three phrases from the airwaves.
___
On the Net:

The legislation, H.R. 3687 and H. Res 482, are available at http://thomas.loc.gov

Federal Communications Commission: http://www.fcc.gov

Parents Television Council: http://www.parentstv.org

:yawn: when will this story just go away... it's been a year now. bono's already appologize... i'm sure the golden globes will run on a short delay this year just in case something like that happens again... what the hell's the point now? should the F word be allowed on basic television? of course not... but it happened, it's over, so what... just work on not letting it happen again rather than dwelling on punishing someone for the first time.

I guess everyone wanted to use that as an excuse.... Bono said the f word so now we want to say the f word on prime time t.v. :hyper:
I just had this conversation with my best friend, that now would we hear Joey on Friends saying "How you fuckin' doin?" :sexywink: :lmao:
Anyway I am tired of all the people that know me telling me that the singer that I like is the reason that the f word can be said on t.v. now. :blah: I hope they do overturn the decision and maybe then everyone will just forget it.
Anyway, I'd much rather hear someone say f*ing brilliant than son of a b* I can't even count how many times I've heard that phrase on prime time t.v. :|

Last edited:
EPandAmerica said:
I guess everyone wanted to use that as an excuse.... Bono said the f word so now we want to say the f word on prime time t.v. :hyper:
Anyway I am tired of all the people that know me telling me that the singer that I like is the reason that the f word can be said on t.v. now. :blah: |

Great point EP,
Quite frankly I believe Bono would not want this to be part of his legacy and find it quite amusing that he will problably be responsible for doing this really great public service, inadvertenly. :laugh: Really, do you want to hear this word as many times someone can work it into a script? (on prime time, it already happens on cable and movies) Nah. If it get's banned so be it. Who cares?

edited to say:
Way to go Bono. :huh: You just can't help but do good. :cool: even when your not trying. :shrug:

Last edited:
hey, Epandamerica, good point about the son of a b*tch thing. that i find offensive. fucking brilliant just sounds emphasized. it's not only not being used "to descibe a sexual act" it's also not putting anyone down. kids hear this stuff everyday, i promise you. half the teachers at school don't even care if we watch a movie containing the word. people use it, they realize that. really fucking brilliant people use it. all they do is mention it's in there, and ask us not to tell the admins. why not hear a common, everyday word on TV? it's much better than hearing an annyoing high-pitched beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep or sudden silence. :ohmy: lol

igloolik said:
hey, Epandamerica, good point about the son of a b*tch thing. that i find offensive. fucking brilliant just sounds emphasized. it's not only not being used "to descibe a sexual act" it's also not putting anyone down. kids hear this stuff everyday, i promise you. half the teachers at school don't even care if we watch a movie containing the word. people use it, they realize that. really fucking brilliant people use it. all they do is mention it's in there, and ask us not to tell the admins. why not hear a common, everyday word on TV? it's much better than hearing an annyoing high-pitched beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep or sudden silence. :ohmy: lol

:yes: :applaud: :up:.

Angela

omigor, i can't believe this is all they have to talk about. so he said it, get over it and move on. yes, let's worry and obsess over a single word uttered during a show that kids shouldn't be watching anyway.

i find it hilarious that in the country where we have freedom of speech, we've got people like this obsessing over a single word and trying to get certain words banned from tv and radio. doesn't sound too much like freedom of speech to me.

Back
Top Bottom