(01-12-2004) U2 Frontman's Super Bowl AIDS Spotlight Scrapped -- Launch *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Frontman's Super Bowl AIDS Spotlight Scrapped

LAUNCH Radio Networks

U2 frontman Bono's hopes for a mention of the global AIDS crisis during the Super Bowl halftime show were shot down last week. According to an article in Friday's (January 9) New York Daily News, National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue reportedly rejected the idea, on the grounds that the halftime show was meant for entertainment, and not to promote causes. Bono had been meeting with NFL officials on and off for two years.

In 2003, he and Jennifer Lopez recorded a song he wrote, called "An American Prayer," which addressed the African AIDS epidemic. He proposed that the two sing the song at the game in Houston on February 1, and secured the approval of MTV executives. MTV is producing this year's halftime extravaganza.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the News, "We simply decided that we were going to have our halftime show, and we were going to deliver, as we do annually, an extremely entertaining halftime show...we don't believe it's appropriate to focus on a single issue."

McCarthy added that this was a long-held view, and that Tagliabue was not involved in the decision. He said that NFL officials had continued to meet with Bono "out of their great respect for him."

Bono is scheduled to visit Africa this spring to draw attention to the AIDS crisis. The NFL plans to participate, and send players along with him.

U2 performed a tribute to the victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks during the halftime show at the 2002 Super Bowl.

Last edited:
It just makes no sense to me when every year for the past several years now, Jerry Jones (owner of the Dallas Cowboys) has a huge half-time show for the Thanksgiving Day game to help support the Salvation Army. Entertainers and organization can perform as one. We even have big entertainers like Creed that performed at these half-time shows. If Jerry Jones can pick a cause, why not the NFL in general? I understand that it is not fair to other important organizations like cancer and so forth. So why don't they start by picking one and make it a different one each year? Also, there might be an issue with the United Way since they give them a lot each year too. So there is no telling what's really going on behind closed doors. Poor Bono! At least he's trying!!!

the nfl doesn't like to repeat it's self. bono was just in the half time show 2 years ago the only people to appear twice have been stevie wonder & gloria estefan (once solo, once with the miami sound machine)... and they've tried to keep the half time show strictly for entertainment purposes. 9/11 was a unique situation. and i wouldn't exactly call 2001's halftime show a 9/11 tribute... i'd call it a u2 mini-concert where they happened to also pay tribute to the victims of 9/11.

the nfl has major recording artists performing before the super bowl also now... so maybe they can work somethin' out there. but frankly... i hope a bono/j-lo duet never sees the light of day. i can take beyonce' because at least she can sing... j-lo's voice is just horrific.

plus i believe the u2002 super bowl was on Fox... the 2003 super bowl is on cbs, just like the 2001 super bowl was. the point? CBS owns MTV... MTV produced the 2001 halftime show, where you saw, as Lewis Black put it, the trifecta from Hell... Aerosmith, N'Sync & Britney Spears... so expect something along the same lines from this year's half time show. i think i heard that janet jackson is gonna be in this year's... oh goodie.

Last edited:
Idiots ! i wonder about ppl sometimes........how inconsiderate and selfish they can be.......u can really learn about ppl by the way they act ......now u know NFL doesnt care about those ppl in African or the AIDS situation there:madspit: :madspit: :mad: :censored: :shame: :yell: :coocoo:
stupid......just plain stupidity

I have to say I have mixed feelings about this. I am in total support of what Bono's trying to do - but I'm not sure the halftime show is the way to do it. Just knowing American culture and football (I am an American & a big football fan), I'm really not at all sure this would have gone over very well. I'm afraid people would either not be paying attention, or just look at the other awful stuff in the halftime show and lump Bono in with that, or it would make people mad. Mad - because the Superbowl is supposed to be all fun - how dare someone try to bring us down? because it's a very American thing - and Bono's not (there was already some of that backlash when U2 performed). HOw dare he tell us how to spend out money or how to think? Not saying that's the right reaction - it's not. But, I really would've hated to see this blow up on him. It had the opportunity to be very good - or very very bad. It does sound like he's taking a trip to Africa w/some NFL players in the Spring. THat may be the way to start - get the buyin of some players and have them start doing some of the talking.

Yeah, it's probably better that he's taking the football players. Maybe the NFL thought this would be "overkill". I'm not saying I agree with this, but considering all the cynicism and stuff that's going down out there.........not nice.

it's the nfl's right not to politicize their halftime show... no matter how worthy a cause it may be.

and just because they don't want their halftime show to be about aids doesn't mean that they don't care about aids or africa. it just means they don't feel the halftime show is the appropriate forum, and that is their right

Are you kidding?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the nfl doesn't like to repeat it's self. bono was just in the half time show 2 years ago the only people to appear twice have been stevie wonder & gloria estefan (once solo, once with the miami sound machine)..

HEADACHE,

THE NFL HAD BON JOVI PERFORM ON THE 2002 KICKOFF IN TIMES SQUARE, AT SILVERDOME DURING HALFTIME OF THE DETROIT LIONS 2002 THANKSGIVING DAY GAME AND NOW USES THEIR SONGS TO PROMOTE THE LEAGUE.

THEY ALSO HAD AEROSMITH PERFORM DURING THE 2001 SUPERBOWL, SING THE OPENING SONG EVERY WEEK FOR MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL AND WILL BE PERFORMING AGAIN DURING THIS YEARS SUPER BOWL!!!!

THE NFL DOES INDEED REPEAT ITSELF, USUALLY USING WASHED-UP SELLOUT HAS-BEENS....

(I DO AGREE WITH YOUR POINT THAT THE HALFTIME SHOW IS MEANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT. THERE IS A TIME AND PLACE FOR EVERYTHING. WHETHER OR NOT THE SUPERBOWL HALFTIME SHOW IS APPROPRIATE TO PROMOTE HEALTH CAUSES IS DEBATABLE)

Wait a minute. He's singing a song, not making a speech. Yes, it was written for a particular cause but I don't he's asking to have a word or 2 before the song. Now if he was asking that, then that may be their reasoning for not doing it. But after all Beyonce, Janet Jackson and Jennifer all fit into the same genre as far as that type of entertainment goes . I just don't see what the harm could be. But they didn't ask me. (and please don't get started on the whole Bono and his duet picks thing. I just don't care to see it rehashed again.)

The NFL is right, this is entertainment. The audience wants a show not an education about a deadly, rapidly-spreading disease. And anyone that thinks that Bono wouldn't get in more than a few words must be kidding himself. The man can't keep himself from talking. It's a crap song anyway.

Can't he just play a song or 2? Why does there always have to be some meaningful cause attached to it? This is where U2 is losing me. They used to be a rock band and Bono has turned them into a musical charity advertisment.

Tom in Boston said:
Can't he just play a song or 2? Why does there always have to be some meaningful cause attached to it? This is where U2 is losing me. They used to be a rock band and Bono has turned them into a musical charity advertisment.

They've always been a politically minded rock band. Bono's been involved in charity work for about 20 years now, so according to what you've said, they should've started losing you in 1984.

This is nothing new.

Angela

dsmith2904 said:
U2 Frontman's Super Bowl AIDS Spotlight Scrapped

LAUNCH Radio Networks

U2 frontman Bono's hopes for a mention of the global AIDS crisis during the Super Bowl halftime show were shot down last week. According to an article in Friday's (January 9) New York Daily News, National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue reportedly rejected the idea, on the grounds that the halftime show was meant for entertainment, and not to promote causes. Bono had been meeting with NFL officials on and off for two years.

In 2003, he and Jennifer Lopez recorded a song he wrote, called "An American Prayer," which addressed the African AIDS epidemic. He proposed that the two sing the song at the game in Houston on February 1, and secured the approval of MTV executives. MTV is producing this year's halftime extravaganza.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the News, "We simply decided that we were going to have our halftime show, and we were going to deliver, as we do annually, an extremely entertaining halftime show...we don't believe it's appropriate to focus on a single issue."

McCarthy added that this was a long-held view, and that Tagliabue was not involved in the decision. He said that NFL officials had continued to meet with Bono "out of their great respect for him."

Bono is scheduled to visit Africa this spring to draw attention to the AIDS crisis. The NFL plans to participate, and send players along with him.

U2 performed a tribute to the victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks during the halftime show at the 2002 Super Bowl.

(IN MUSICAL TERMS ONLY!) WE SHOULD BE VERY, VERY HAPPY THAT THE NFL ISN'T LETTING OUR BELOVED BONO SING A DUET AT THE SUPER BOWL. JUST THE THOUGHT OF THE ENORMOUS BACKLASH AGAINST THE BAND MAKES ME CRINGE....

again... the NFL does not want anything politicla involved in the super bowl... i know they only mention CBS in this article, but anything that goes on durring the super bowl has to be cleared by the NFL as well as the network... so i'm surprised they're only getting on CBS here.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. football fans will not see ads featuring scantily clad vegetarians or a political attack on President Bush (news - web sites) during February's Super Bowl after CBS said on Thursday that advocacy advertisements were out of bounds on professional football's biggest day.

The network, over the years, has rejected dozens of advertising proposals by advocacy groups, who argue that the network only airs controversial messages that it agrees with.

"We just want to be able to present our jiggly women," said Lisa Lange, spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, asking to join advertisers like beer brewers who has boosted sales with images of scantily-clad women.

Liberal group Moveon.org, known for its Internet funding power, told members this week that it hoped to have the first political Super Bowl ad.

But its hopes were dashed when CBS said the spot, which asks "Guess who's going to pay off President Bush's $1 trillion deficit?" was an issue piece and could not run.

In a letter, CBS told PETA that it would not run advertisements on "controversial issues of public importance."

CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said the policy had been in place for years. "We have a policy against accepting advocacy advertising," he added. CBS, a unit of Viacom Inc., does run political advertising for and against candidates.

CBS came under criticism in November when it decided not to run a two-part made-for-television movie, "The Reagans," after conservatives complained that it was unflattering to former president Ronald Reagan (news) and his wife, Nancy.

PETA spokeswoman Lange said that CBS's broadcast of anti-smoking advertisements and even hamburger chain spots were controversial, advocacy pieces, as well.

"In essence, CBS is saying we will air an advocacy ad if we agree with the viewpoint," she said.

The PETA ad shows two scantily clad women snuggling up to a meat-eating pizza delivery man. "Meat can cause impotence," the screen reads after the rendezvous fails.

CBS also said the PETA spot raised "significant taste concerns.

Bono needs to go on another Heartland tour :heart:

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

They've always been a politically minded rock band. Bono's been involved in charity work for about 20 years now, so according to what you've said, they should've started losing you in 1984.

This is nothing new.

Angela

That was pretty much what i was thinking. Way back when U2 was a "rock band" I think they had some political songs. Sunday Bloody Sunday. Like a Song, MLK just to name a few. But maybe I missed the point of those songs and it was just pure rock and entertainment. Thye should just write meaningless songs. We'd be better off. lol

from MTV.com (MTV is producing the super bowl halftime show)

The halftime show will commence with a short Choose or Lose film. Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, John Elway, Toby Keith, Chris Rock, Tony Hawk, Beyonc?, Jay-Z, Jennifer Lopez and Muhammad Ali have all lent their star power to the clip, which focuses on the freedom to make choices. The celebrities will be commenting on empowerment, involvement and voting.

MTV reps also hinted there might be a surprise guest joining their already announced lineup.

note... the announced lineup is janet jackson, p.diddy, nelly & kid rock

wonder who the surprise person is? the thought of watching anyone else on there is not good - so do I keep watching at halftime on the off chance that I'll like the surprise? hmmm

:hmm: Well instead of focusing on a single issue now all the focus is on a single boob...... or a couple of boobs if you add Timberlake. :eyebrow:

I don't think MTV should take all the heat, the NFL are grown ups, they know exactly what kind of shows these people put on. They already knew that by having Bono the show would have had some class and been done with taste, but they chose to go another route. :shame:

I think they should have U2 play the super bowl every year! :yes:

EPandAmerica said:
:hmm: Well instead of focusing on a single issue now all the focus is on a single boob...... or a couple of boobs if you add Timberlake. :eyebrow:

:laugh: Too true!

EPandAmerica said:
I don't think MTV should take all the heat, the NFL are grown ups, they know exactly what kind of shows these people put on. They already knew that by having Bono the show would have had some class and been done with taste, but they chose to go another route. :shame:

Nah, next year, Bono will rip The Edge's shirt open... ;)

All kidding aside, the NFL never learns. Everyone I've spoken to, online and in real life, agrees that U2's 2002 Halftime Show is the best Halftime Show ever. It was one group doing what they do best, and behaving with grace and style.

However, the NFL insists on following their tired old formula: take one artist from Genre A, one from Genre B, one from Genre C and combine. And it never works. At best, you get a cacophony of clashing styles. At worst, you get a tacky display by obnoxious spoiled brats trying to push the envelope, like what happened last Sunday. :madspit:

The NFL is full of proud Good Ol' Boys, and they will never admit that they were wrong. Trust me...they are not stupid. I think that they realize now by throwing money around isn't always the best option. Quality vs Quanity is something that I'm sure will be on their agenda for next year's halftime performance.

Even the commercials were awful this year. There were hardly any funny ones. I know that the NFL doesn't have any control over them, but it's just ironic.

This was the worst Super Bowl ever, minus the actual game of course!

I guess the thing that confuses me is that CBS didn't want ads or performances that dealt with serious issues...but yet I distinctly remember seeing those "Truth" ads showing during the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those deal with a serious issue? :eyebrow: :scratch:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom