You've Got Mail - Part 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KieraAnne

The Fly
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it. :) Here's the next bit:

Part Eight

Jessie spent a quiet weekend at home with her fish watching sappy romance movies and eating cookie dough ice cream out of the carton. Several times she sat down at her computer but could never quite bring herself to log on. Monday morning rolled around and she resolutely set her sights on work.

Bono finished his message and hit the send button. This must have been the fiftieth LM he'd sent to her and still hadn't received an answer. He hoped the little surprise he left her at work wouldn't get her into too much trouble, but he didn't know where she lived so had to make do.

Jessie stepped off the elevator and stopped as hundreds of roses assaulted her senses. The air was heavy with the perfume of the flowers crowded onto every available surface. Speechless, Jessie removed one of the vases from her chair and sat down with the flowers in her lap. After a moment of staring she finally noticed that each arrangement had a card. She picked up the one in front of her and read the note.

"I'm sorry. -Bono"

Smiling, she set down the flowers and picked up the next card, and the next, and the next. Finally having collected twenty cards she sat back down in her chair. They all said the same thing?short and to the point. Laughing softly to herself she buried her face in the nearest bouquet and breathed in the heavenly scent.

"What's all this then?" the exclamation startled Jessie out of her quiet reverie as Mr. Smith loudly entered the office. "Did this office turn into a greenhouse over the weekend without my knowledge?"

"Why no Mr. Smith, they're from a friend of mine. He just wanted to apologize for..."

"I don't care who they're from. I want them out of here today." Mr. Smith interrupted.

"Yes sir, they'll be gone by 5:00 today." The large man nodded his head in agreement before stomping off into his office. Jessie let out the breath she'd been holding and sat back in her chair with a little smile.

After logging on to her computer, Jessie hurriedly pulled down her favorites list and made her way into Zootopia. Her spastically blinking message bar was the first thing that caught her attention. Reading all of the msg's took some time, but Jessie managed to do it. They were all in the same vein; He was sorry, he missed her, where was she, did she get the flowers?wait, that one was new. Smiling to herself she hit the reply key.

J: :Yes I got the flowers?they're lovely thank you:

Bono crowed in triumph, he knew she'd give in eventually and talk to him. The possibility that she could withstand his charm never even occurred to him.

B: "I'm sorry I didn't see you at the club on Friday. But I was distracted by all of those teeny-boppers."

Jessie gasped.

J: :You were there then? Did you see Bono? I got his autograph and everything it was amazing. Of course for some reason he thinks my name is Jaime, but it was still really cool.:

Bono grimaced.

B: "I think the time has come for me to tell you who I really am. Do you trust me?"

Jessie's brow furrowed in confusion. Trust? What did that have to do with anything? She tentatively typed her reply.

J: :Trust you? Sure I trust you?why?:

Bono took a deep breath and then plunged right in.

B: "I was there at the club that night. I saw you, but didn't know who you were. I even spoke to you. You see?.I'm Bono. The real Bono. I couldn't hear you over the music, so I signed your napkin to Jaime. I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention. Can you ever forgive me?"

Jessie sat back in her chair and stared at her computer screen. Bono? The real Bono? Talking to her of all people? Was it possible that she had been conversing with a superstar all this time and hadn't noticed?

Bono fidgeted a little nervously as he waited for her reply. He rubbed his sweaty palms on his shiny leather pants?unfortunately that didn't seem to help much. He looked around for something else, his eyes flitting about the room before landing on one of Edge's discarded beanies. Cautiously looking to the right and left Bono reached out, picked up the cap and wiped his hands dry before throwing it back in the corner where he'd found it. Finally, his new message bar began to blink.

J: :I don't believe you. If you're the real Bono, then prove it somehow.:

Bono scowled a bit and replied:

B: "You don't believe me? Why would I lie about something like that? How would you like me to prove it to you? Take you to lunch? Fine. What time do you get off?"

Jessie laughed.

J: :Yes, Bono of U2, show up at my workplace and personally take me to lunch. Only then will I believe you. I get an hour starting at noon.:

B: "I'll be there." Bono hit the send button and then logged off.

Jessie waited for more repartee, but "Bono" had apparently left the site. Jessie shook her head a little. Surely he hadn't been serious? Maybe she'd offended him somehow, he didn't usually leave so abruptly. Shrugging it off, Jessie squared her shoulders and resolutely took a file from her "In" box.

Bono looked out the window as the cab pulled to the curb. Handing the driver his money he stepped out onto the sidewalk and leaned back in order to better see the tall building. "Meeting Jessie?take two." He muttered. A passing man looked at him strangely before continuing on his way. Bono looked down at himself. His leather pants were looking particularly shiny today and his jacket had been buffed to match. His black button-up shirt, open at the neck revealed the cross of his faith laying exposed against his hairy chest. Running a hand through his hair he squared his shoulders and entered the building.

Jessie looked up as Mr. Smith manuevered his massive girth through the seemingly midget-sized breadth of his door. He was breathing a little heavily from the exertion and his face seemed a little flushed. Stopping at her desk he plunked down the large stack of files he was holding.

"I need you to re-file these in alphabetical order" he said, attempting to look down her blouse as she leaned forward to investigate. Jessie looked up and caught Mr. Smith just as he was leaning in for a better view. She cleared her throat?Mr. Smith looked up at her face with no trace of chagrin at being caught in his voyeurism.

"These are already in alphabetical order Mr. Smith." Jessie smiled sweetly. "Perhaps you grabbed the wrong pile?" She widened her eyes and cleared them of any and all intelligence. Mr. Smith grunted, looked at the pile, and then back at Jessie.

"Maybe I did grab the wrong stack. Stay here, I'll be back." Jessie chuckled to herself as Mr. Smith turned back to his office. If she could just keep this up, maybe she wouldn't ever have to file those silly forms again. Still smiling, she picked up her purse, set her personalized "gone to lunch" sign at her desk and headed for the elevators.

Jessie pushed the call button and waited. Looking down at her watch, she moved forward as the bell sounded and the doors swooshed open. She was understandably startled when she directly collided with a leather-encased body. Strong hands caught at her shoulders as she bounced off in surprise.

"I'm so sorry," she mumbled, looking up in embarrassment into a bright pair of blue eyes shaded by sunglasses even in the artificial lighting of the building. Jessie opened and closed her mouth convulsively?utterly speechless.

Bono grinned down at her. "Jessie I presume?"

KieraAnne said:
He looked around for something else, his eyes flitting about the room before landing on one of Edge's discarded beanies. Cautiously looking to the right and left Bono reached out, picked up the cap and wiped his hands dry before throwing it back in the corner where he'd found it.
:lmao: :lmao:
I wonder what Edge would do if he knew about it.....

Bono grinned down at her. "Jessie I presume?"
OMG!! :applaud:
The end of this chapter is absolutely perfect! :yes:
While reading the whole thing,I was like "It's now!It's gonna happen now!!! :hyper: "

I think I don't need to say how much I'm looking foward to the next part,do I?:wink:

And one last thing:

Bono looked down at himself. His leather pants were looking particularly shiny today and his jacket had been buffed to match. His black button-up shirt, open at the neck revealed the cross of his faith laying exposed against his hairy chest.
:combust: :drool:
Are you trying to kill me by provoking an heart attack??;)

I've only got one thing to say: This is really, really fucking brilliant!" :yes:
I've read all 8 parts and can't wait for number 9... You're really good at this KieraAnne! :up: :happy:

Back
Top Bottom