You've Got Mail - Part 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KieraAnne

The Fly
Okay, sorry it's taking so long between posts, I'm trying to finish up classes and start on my Master's project this summer so haven't had time to think. Again this isn't true, total rubbish, and completely made up. Let me know what you think!

Part 19
Jessie looked out the window of the jumbo jet that was taking her back to Chicago. Bono and the others had had to fly straight to Munich and she was making the trek home solo….well maybe not exactly solo. She looked down at MacPhisto where he was swimming contentedly in his small tank. She supposed it was lucky he didn’t have more then a five second memory so that every trip around the bowl was a new experience for him. Bono had purchased her a first class ticket and she was rather enjoying the luxury of being waited on hand and foot by the flight attendants, but after moving their relationship forward so quickly, Jessie was already heartsick for her little Irish Rockstar.

It had been difficult saying good-bye to him at the airport, more difficult then she would have imagined. He had sat by her in the terminal and held her hand tightly as they announced the boarding call for her flight. She stood, her knees a bit shaky and Bono followed close behind her.

“You’re sure you’ll be alright by yourself?” he asked her, his hands running a constant cycle up and down her arms, “because you’re more then welcome to come with us to Munich.” He saw the slight hesitation in her face and continued on, “Come on, haven’t you always wanted to see Germany?”

Jessie laughed, “Not particularly, no.” The attendant at the ticket counter announced boarding for her flight a second time, and more people hurried to get into the queue forming at the gate. She dragged her gaze back to the man in front of her and smiled at him reassuringly. “I have to go home and face Mr. Smith…and MacPhisto misses his tank. He’s getting a little stir crazy confined in this small bowl.” They both looked down at the fish swimming circles around his tank oblivious to the torment of those around him.

“You’ll call me when you get there won’t you?” Bono asked her as the final announcement to board was made. Jessie nodded resolutely and Bono pulled her into his arms for a last embrace. She clung tightly to his broad frame, pressing her face into the crease of his neck and inhaling deeply of his warm scent, as if to memorize it for future recall.

“You’d better go luv,” Bono murmured, pulling back and gazing at her face. She looked from him to the waiting attendant and nodded, crouching to pick up her bag. She turned resolutely and started towards the gate only to be called back.

“Jessie wait!” She turned just in time to catch Bono as he ran towards her and pressed his lips to hers. He kissed her as if he were a dying man and she was his last hope for salvation, lapping her up as he would cream. She returned the kiss with fervor, pulling his lip between her teeth and holding him close as his hands framed her face. His finger’s memorizing the curves of her cheeks, then running down her back, grabbing her hips and pulling her firmly against him so she could feel the effect she had on him.

“Miss? Sir? We need to finish boarding,” the flight attendant tentatively interrupted the couple. They broke apart, gasping and Jessie’s face reddened as she realized that everyone in the terminal was watching them. The attendant handed her the fish bowl that she had forgotten in her rush to get on the plane and she took it, smiling apologetically at the two attendants waiting for her to finish her good-bye’s and board.

“I’ll call you tonight and make sure you got in okay,” Bono promised, grabbing her free hand and kissing her fingers tenderly. She nodded and sighed a little as his leaned in to kiss her cheek. “You’ll still write to me won’t you?” He asked.

Jessie grinned, “Of course, I’ll write,” she laughed, “how can you even ask that?” Bono smiled and, grabbing her dropped back, handed it to her with her ticket and I.D. sticking out the top pocket.

“I’ll see you again soon,” he promised as she turned to make the walk down the tunnel. She nodded once and waved before rounding a corner and losing him from sight.

She sighed and turned from the window where she could no longer even see any hint of land and, unable to distract herself with a magazine, leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes.

Bono paced up and down the small dressing room where he was waiting for his queue to take the stage. It had been two days since he had put Jessie on the plane to Chicago. Even with the time difference she should have been home by now. Two days and he hadn’t heard from her. Sure, it was possible she had lost the number he’d given her, but surely she could have found some way to contact him. He glared at the phone as if daring it to ring. It sat on the dressing table where the stage manager had placed it. Bono continued his pace about the room, glancing at the phone every few seconds and finally picked the receiver off the cradle to check for a dial tone. Hearing the dull buzz, he sighed and set it down gently.

The door opened and Edge poked his head in. “Hey, man we’re about ready.” Seeing the frenzied state his friend worked himself up in, Edge entered the room and put his hand on Bono’s shoulder. “I’m sure she’s fine,” he said, “she’s probably just settling in and doesn’t want to bother you with no news.”

Bono glared at his childhood pal, “I don’t care if she doesn’t have any bloody news, I just want to know she made it home alright.” They both looked up as the door opened again. It was Adam.

He paused, noting the tension in the room before turning to Bono, “Bono? Phone for you…and we’re supposed to be on in five minutes, so make it quick.” He tossed Bono the mobile he was carrying then turned to leave, grabbing Edge on his way out. Edge protested, but Adam shoved him out the door.

Bono caught the phone and put it to his ear, “Hello? Jessie?”

“Mr. Hewson, this is Stephen Hutchins from the Chicago DA’s office. You’ve been asked to appear in court for the case of Smith vs. Parks on the 17th of this month at 10 am.” Bono looked at the phone incredulously.

“Wait a minute,” he said as he tried to gather his thoughts, “did you say Smith vs. Parks? Surely you meant the other way round, it was Jessica Parks that was the victim here.”

There was a pause and Bono could hear papers being rustled on the other end of the line. “No, definitely Smith v. Parks sir, I have it right here in front of me. Ms. Parks is being sued by a Mr. Smith for entrapment. Apparently she led him up to her apartment under false pretenses and her boyfriend, I’m assuming that would be you sir, proceeded to physically assault Mr. Smith.”

Bono glared at the floor, “Well, that’s just a load of shite! How can you people believe such an obvious lie?!”

“Mr. Hewson, you’ll have your chance to relate the events as you see them in court. We’ll expect you promptly at 10. Thank you, and have a nice day.”

“Wait one min…” Bono began, but the phone had gone dead. Quickly he dialed Jessie’s number from memory and waited impatiently as it the phone began to ring with no answer. Just when he was about to hang up, the machine picked up and at the tone Bono began talking quickly.

“Jessie? Jessie are you there? This is Bono? What’s all this court business? Are you alright? Jessie? Listen call me as soon as you get this okay? I promise we’ll work all of this nonsense out somehow…” the machine cut him off and Bono closed the mobile, tossing it onto the dressing table where it collided with the other phone already waiting there. There was a knock at the door and one of the stage technicians poked his head in, “We’re ready for you sir.”

Bono nodded distractedly and followed him out the door.

***Okay, that's it, I'll try to be quicker with the next part! -Kiera

I remember this story from good ol' Zootopia...glad to see that you're writing more...and its just as good as ever.

Back
Top Bottom