Your first look at U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first time I started actually thinking anything about U2 looks-wise was when I'd seen the video for "When The Stars Go Blue" earlier this summer. I remember Bono dancing with Andrea Corr at the end of the video, and I just thought that was so cute. And Bono seemed so charming, which kinda got me interested in him. Then I see the "Elevation" video, and I'd actually seen that video quite a few times, but I dunno, one time I was watching it and something just clicked, and I'm like, "Hmmm...you know, this Bono guy's not too bad-looking...". Same thing happened when I started seeing older videos from the guys (my reaction the first time I saw the "I Will Follow" video was, "Oh, my god!"-I just cracked up (although I think I laughed more at Bono's attempt at dancing than how his hair looked), but now I personally think Bono looked cute with his mullet in that video).

Then I saw the "Rattle and Hum" movie. Yeah. Not only did I think Bono looked really good in that entire movie, I gotta say, the rest of the guys didn't look half bad in that movie, either. :). Still think that each time I watch that movie.

Angela

I'm pretty much a late (U2) bloomer, but hey, better late than never right? My parents never got into the whole 80s music scene and neither of them are U2 fans, so I'm on my own!

I remember when I first started listening to the radio, I always loved WOW and ISHFWILF. I knew they were U2, but never looked into it further than that. I remember the first time I heard Streets, I was really taken with the long into and I bugged my mom about it, but she didn't know who it was. But I knew by the sound of Bono's voice it was U2 so I added that one to my list of faves.

One thing I just have to share, b/c it is so funny to me, goes like this.....

The other night I was talking to Kristie about Bono noises and I told her I'd never really heard the normal version of HMTMKMKM because I didn't have the file and I really enjoy the Rock 2000 remix version. So I decided to give the normal one a try, and for some reason, it triggered some memory even though I've listened to the remix 1000000 times. I remembered back in middle school I had this really close friend who was obsessed with the Batman soundtrack. One time she invited me and my best friend over and she wanted us to listen to this song. LOL, I even remember she was only allowed to have her volume at 26 or below. So she plays this song, which I now know as HMTMKMKM. And afterwards...

Amy: so, whaddaya think of those....erm....sounds?

Us: :eyebrow::ohmy::der:

I dunno, this is just too funny to me. It must've sparked some unconscious fixation with the Bono noises or something! I remember everything about that time now, what her room looked like, and the three of us sitting there, listening.......This explains everything!

I also remember when I first watched the elevation concert and started learning about the band members individually. I thought Bono was a total spaz, he pretty much weirded me out for a while.....but not anymore :bono: :hug:

I was a late bloomer as well. I knew of U2 of course from their videos, but really wasn't a fan until 98, at 18 years old. Then I REALLY got obsessed LOL. I think it was The Sweetest Thing video and quickly realized that U2 was the BEST and became a devoted and obsessed. From then on I bought ANYTHING that had to do with U2:CD's,Videos,Posters etc.....I bought the Best Of:1980-1990, quickly scratched that one up and bought the same CD (this one had the B-Sides). As I said, ANTHING having to do with U2 I had to have, I even managed to find old U2 magazines...from Rolling Stone ( from 85,87,91 etc...)Q Magazine,Entertainment Weekly,Bass Player and Guitar Magazine (I don't know a thing about either instruments) etc... and I taped EVERY U2 appearance and even taped them a second time LOL. Every time they repeat U2 on The Simpsons I just *have* to tape it LOL, am I sad or what? I love ALL 5 members (yes, Paul McG IS the 5th member of U2 IMO) of U2, although I currently have a big crush on Larry. I already had it bad for Edge and Adam and of course Bono's a major babe as well

I will forever be mad at myself for not realizing how awesome U2 is. U2 really is the best band in the world........

Thanks

Well Late bloomer here :wave:
First time I was ever interested in U2 was when I heard Beautiful Day and then later Elevation on the radio. I had Elevation stuck in my head for a while then on and I was like, "I love this song." I told my friend about it and she recommended I download the video and watch it b/c it was reallly cool how "Bono does that thing where he controls the car". I was curious so I went and downloaded it off Winmx. 2 months later b/c of people suddenly canceling on me and I couldn't find the specific file size to continue downloading off of, (I was a stupid newbie back then, not knowing how to download files off the internet.) I was watching it finally in September and I was blown away by the sexy singer in black. It was the first time I fell in love with Bono and thus it started my obsession. I downloaded almost any file I could find of U2 and it eventually led me to Interference where I finally found a place I could call my second home. I'm now 17 and the U2 obsessed of my school. :lol: Everyone now bothers me of my obsession with Bono.

GOD I love U2.

Last edited:
First time I saw U2...Numb video on MTV...I remember thinking "Look at the freakshow" I didn't actually REALIZE who U2 was until about 1997 and my friend Aaron and I were driving to Memphis one night and "one" came on the radio and I was like "oh I've always liked this song, who sings it?"

After Aaron almost wrecked the car he took me on the musical journey of my life, he had every U2 album in his car and first he took me through all the "hits" songs I might know, which turned out to be a lot, then he started taking me through his faves, it was awesome.

Achtung Baby was my first CD, then Pop and Zoo. I didn't actually get into the older stuff until about last year...I thought the second half of Joshua Tree sucked when I first heard it...and now that is my favorite part of the CD...LOL...

Aaron is a big fan of their more experimental stuff, so we listened to Pop and Zoo for days...LOL...I hated Zoo at first, but now that is probably my second favorite album behind Achtung.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I'm pretty much a late (U2) bloomer, but hey, better late than never right? My parents never got into the whole 80s music scene and neither of them are U2 fans, so I'm on my own!

I remember when I first started listening to the radio, I always loved WOW and ISHFWILF. I knew they were U2, but never looked into it further than that. I remember the first time I heard Streets, I was really taken with the long into and I bugged my mom about it, but she didn't know who it was. But I knew by the sound of Bono's voice it was U2 so I added that one to my list of faves.

One thing I just have to share, b/c it is so funny to me, goes like this.....

The other night I was talking to Kristie about Bono noises and I told her I'd never really heard the normal version of HMTMKMKM because I didn't have the file and I really enjoy the Rock 2000 remix version. So I decided to give the normal one a try, and for some reason, it triggered some memory even though I've listened to the remix 1000000 times. I remembered back in middle school I had this really close friend who was obsessed with the Batman soundtrack. One time she invited me and my best friend over and she wanted us to listen to this song. LOL, I even remember she was only allowed to have her volume at 26 or below. So she plays this song, which I now know as HMTMKMKM. And afterwards...

Amy: so, whaddaya think of those....erm....sounds?

Us: :eyebrow::ohmy::der:

I dunno, this is just too funny to me. It must've sparked some unconscious fixation with the Bono noises or something! I remember everything about that time now, what her room looked like, and the three of us sitting there, listening.......This explains everything!

I also remember when I first watched the elevation concert and started learning about the band members individually. I thought Bono was a total spaz, he pretty much weirded me out for a while.....but not anymore :bono: :hug:

Hahahaha, oh, yes, those sounds at the end of HMTMKMKM (sidenote-you just gotta love the title of that song)...yeah, first time I heard them I was like, "Having fun there, Bono?" Hehe.

I'm a late bloomer as well, which really ticks me off-I was born in the wrong year, I wish I'd been born earlier so that I could have followed these guys from the beginning-look at some of the stuff I've missed out on all because I was too little or I wasn't as into their music as I am now and all that. Grrr. Eh, oh, well, better late than never, right?

Angela

Back
Top Bottom