Younger crowd digging the latest U2 "image"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitehead

Acrobat
First off, this is coming from a 25 year old straight male....
My love for U2 over the last 10+ years is of their music and ideas but image/fashion is definitely important to their success (without it, I'm sure there would be fewer PLEBA members :wink: ) therefore....

I was checking out the Q magazine photos and I'm not feeling the whole denim thing very much. :eyebrow: Maybe they will start a trend or something but..:yikes: I realize they are getting older (except Larry) and am wondering how they appear to the younger generation of fans (ages 16-25). Here's what I think of the current "image" of each member:

BONO:
Has Bono put his hair in a ponytail recently??? I don't care for the long hair too much but maybe tied back would be pretty cool. I must say he does look pretty cool when he's got the hair slicked back at the end of their concerts due to sweating so much. :bono: The straw hat is growing on me and is OK occassionally but I hope it doesn't become the new Fidel Castro hat. An actual baseball hat would be pretty cool (not backwards!) a la ZooTV tour minus the aviator glasses.
"Cut your f***ing hair!" -Bono from ABC Pop special

EDGE:
Looking pretty cool. I think the facial hair should be a mainstay although variations are welcome. The skull cap/beanie is definitely a signature but baseball caps suit him well too (just not backwards). I think he should "bic" the whole dome...the Mr. Clean/Sinbad look can be badass. :cool:

ADAM:
Never had many issues with his image (except the afro back in the day) and still don't. Always appears really cool, laid back, and comfortable in his world. I think it's great he finally lost the glasses! :yes:

LARDENCE:
Seems to have always tried to maintain a timeless look and I don't see anything wrong with that. He must sleep in tupperware!! When is the new Terminator movie coming out? :|

....Those are my thoughts. What are the thoughts of the younger crowd?? Please try to be objective as possible. :wink:

I just recalled something I heard a while back about a fashion line that Ali was working on with the a 3rd world country....what ever happened to that? Is that where the denim is coming from?! :hmm:

They could be raking leaves in overalls and I could care less! And no I am not part of the younger crowd I've been a fan since the 80s....

I'm not young (34) but I get very sick of people picking on their looks and giving them fashion advice. They are millionaires with access to all the fashion in the world, and the way they look is the way they choose to look. Knocking it is insulting. They do not want or need anyone's 'queer eye' suggestions. Stay the way you are, all of you! :up:

As for age, look, they're 43-44. They're not 25, they're not 18. I really believe if they adopted a 'young hip' image they would be made more fun of by the young hip types than they would be for just being 'old' in the first place.

U2 look very cool and handsome just the way they are, their age, their time. Leave them alone or I'll throw a brick:yell:

Last edited:
we have had this debate before on the boys looks - My take? I think the guys are attractive for their physical appreances but who they are (dorky yes) as people as well. That the four of them make rock my world music, seem to be a great group of individuals, hosestly care about world issues, take care of those they love - I tend to think they are much more attractive than anyone on People's sexiest list

as am 27 do not fit into the "younger" set - *sob*

Do I believe that this new image (if it is indeed a new image) will attract younger fans? Honestly I don't know - What I see is four men who are comfortable in their own skin - that makes them sexier/more appealing than ever

let's see, im 16, so technically I should be wanting the boys to look as cool and as young as possible. But I dont.
Bono:
I like Bono letting his hair grow and not tying it back, he has a way with long hair. The look he has going is fine with me.
Edge:
Can't say too much about him. His style ideas are always great. *genius*

Adam:
:happy: It's so glad to see him hanging around again. And like Edge, he's always looking very good no matter what he wears.

Larry:
No comment, ask another teen fangirl. No no, just kidding.
He looks good. Like usual. ;)

Overall, I'd say that the 'younger crowd' that is into their kind of music will enjoy the looks as well.Most younger people [mostly girls] i know aren't into the whole "save the world" thing, as they call it. And the usual response i get when i talk about U2 is, "ew, those old guys." :madspit:
bleh. i hate shallow girls.

I don't think I made very much sense in that, but I like the looks, they never disappoint me, and em, yeah, people who tease me for liking them can go eat dust.

im a part of the younger crowd(18) and i do like what theyre doing, mainly because im a pleba girl and that means i pretty much worship them anyway. i do kinda wish b would cut the hair sometimes (like when watching him on o'relly) but sometimes it looks good long too. i think he would actually look really good with short hair right now because his face is thinner than it was when he was getting a little bit 'fat elvisy' :wink: but he was still drop dead sexy nevertheless.....
i dont really care how they dress to tell you the truth. its fun talking about their hair and clothes but when it comes down to it im not a teenybopper girl and i care more about who they are than what theyre wearing.
(but i do like bono's butt in jeans):eyebrow:

that comment about larry sleeping in tupperware :lol:

No spring chicken here, I'm the age of the band. I don't know why people pick on his hair. He looks better with long hair. His face has aged, but cutting off all his hair would only draw attention to the 'flaws.' I don't see them as looking so old, maybe Adam, not the others. What's wrong with their looks?? :confused:

U2Kitten said:
I'm not young (34) but I get very sick of people picking on their looks and giving them fashion advice. ..... Knocking it is insulting. They do not want or need anyone's 'queer eye' suggestions.

As for age, look, they're 43-44. They're not 25, they're not 18. I really believe if they adopted a 'young hip' image they would be made more fun of by the young hip types than they would be for just being 'old' in the first place.

U2 look very cool and handsome just the way they are, their age, their time. Leave them alone or I'll throw a brick:yell:

I hope you are not referring to me....I am not intending to "pick on" or "knock" them. I'm not trying to spread any hate. I'm just simply stating my opinions which I am entitled to. As far as "advice" or "queer eye suggestion" goes, my reason for posting this was not in thinking that U2 would actually read it. Instead, I am interested in what the younger fans think and what they would like to see. Is there no room for some objectiveness in PLEBA or is it just :drool: ? IMO, they are NOT too "old" to appeal the the "young hip" crowd.

Please unclench your grasp from the brick. :(

madamadam said:

Overall, I'd say that the 'younger crowd' that is into their kind of music will enjoy the looks as well.Most younger people [mostly girls] i know aren't into the whole "save the world" thing, as they call it. And the usual response i get when i talk about U2 is, "ew, those old guys." :madspit:
bleh. i hate shallow girls.

I don't think I made very much sense in that, but I like the looks, they never disappoint me, and em, yeah, people who tease me for liking them can go eat dust.

I'm 16 also and I completely agree. None of my friends are into the save the world thing, while I'm out there joining greenpeace, DATA, netaid, etc. because I want to do something to help humanity. Because of Bono and the lessons he's taught me, I now want to find a cure for AIDS.:bow: :bono:
I'm also told that U2 are "icky old men". I don't give a f*** about the young musicians today! My friends talk about how "Oh, I'd want to go out with this actor or singer, he's so hot and he's only 5 years older than me!" And then when I talk about Bono, people have disgusted looks on their faces. I hate that.:mad: So what if he is...28 years older than me, my mom always said I needed an older, more intelligent guy so I wouldn't get bored. :wink:
Oops, kind of got off the subject. Yes, I like the new image, but I've always liked how they looked. Personally, I think Achtung Baby was the best. Leather leather leather!!! :drool: :drool:

whitehead said:

IMO, they are NOT too "old" to appeal the the "young hip" crowd.

No way, they are most certainly not. But they are too old to try to dress/play/act like a new young hip band, because the kinds of young people who make fun of bands for being old only go, oh look at those old guys trying to be young. As some have stated here, and I have heard myself, sadly there will always be a crowd who judges by age and you will never change their minds. But as evidence seen on this forum, PLENTY of young people will love U2 and come to them anyway, just as they did with ATYCLB! So I don't see a problem. I think they look just fine, love the denim and leather pants in the TOP video! What I'm trying to say is, if they tried to copy some new band to try to be popular, it would come off as obvious and silly (like when Def Leppard tried to go grunge) It doesn't work. U2 have never followed any trends and they shouldn't start now, after all, they are the legends here!

There is also another crowd who makes fun of them for dressing casual cool, that they should 'grow up' and wear suits and dockers. Well, they're not yuppies, they're not stockbrokers, they're rock stars, they don't have to, and shouldn't have to. When I see Bono out with Gavin and Guggi I think, this is COOL itself, with their long hair and freewheeling clothes, they have beat the system, beat the stereotypes, good on ya!:up: I want to laugh at how they have defied convention and come out on top. I find something heroic in that.

So bottom line is, their look is just fine all around. If I could change anything I'd want Adam to go blonde and Larry to grow out his hair, but they of course have a right to look the way they want. I have no complaints with Bono's or Edge's looks at all, really. They can stay the way they are and I hope they do.

Last edited:
personally i think they're looking pretty stylish
i've got friends who should take fashion tips off the boys!

digsy said:
personally i think they're looking pretty stylish
i've got friends who should take fashion tips off the boys!

:applaud: your friends' good taste! Also on this forum there are guys who copy their style They're cool, dammit! :yes:

U2Kitten said:
I'm not young (34) but I get very sick of people picking on their looks and giving them fashion advice. They are millionaires with access to all the fashion in the world, and the way they look is the way they choose to look. Knocking it is insulting. They do not want or need anyone's 'queer eye' suggestions. Stay the way you are, all of you! :up:

Well said Kitten !!! I'm 41 and I agree totally with you.They dress and look the way they want to, and that's fine....:up: :heart:
If the band will be 80 they still will look cool I guess......

Last edited:
I'm not a spring chicken either. I think they are all looking damn good these days. I love the pix I've seen of Bono lately in particular, he always looks hot. :drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I'm part of the younger crowd and I think they look awesome!

Except for Bono's clown shoes. We all know his feet did NOT mysteriously grow eight sizes throughout the last year! I wish there were some way he could wear his platforms without looking really desperate...The first thing my mom noticed when she saw Bono on Oprah was that his shoes were really massive. Not the glasses, not the hair, etc. I explained to her that he is insecure about his height and wears special shoes, which she found absolutely hilarious...Now, I always found those massive shoes to be a cute little Bono quirk, but I think the ones in the Q photo have pushed the limits of shoe size credibility a tad bit too far...

Otherwise, no complaints. Still waiting patiently for the start of Vertigo Video Drool Fest 2004.

whitehead said:
Do you think they would appear in any sort of "teen" magazine? :hmm:

No, because they aren't that type of band. No serious band ends up in something like that, and no one over 26 would anyway. I was a fan in my teenage years in the 80's and got many good pics from magazines like Creem and Circus but they were NEVER in "Tiger Beat" or "16" or stuff like that.

i love it when bono wears those weird colored sweaters or the velvet jacket. mmm yummy. i love it when he mismatches too, its like ali wasnt there to dress him in the morning too. what i dont like is when any of the band look uncomfortable. thats when they would start looking stupid and desperate. is if they looked like they were forcing some sort of newer fashion on themselves
i mean look at those strange pants bono wore on the rattle and hum tour. THAT certainly wasnt the going fashion.
u2 has always just gone with what they like i think, so whatever they like is cool for them

u2bonogirl said:
i love it when bono wears those weird colored sweaters or the velvet jacket. mmm yummy. i love it when he mismatches too, its like ali wasnt there to dress him in the morning too.

When I met him he was wearing a red sock and a green sock :huh:

I don't really care as long as they are doing disturbing things to draw attention to themselves.

whitehead said:
I just recalled something I heard a while back about a fashion line that Ali was working on with the a 3rd world country....what ever happened to that? Is that where the denim is coming from?! :hmm:

Found what I was looking for (no thanks to you all! :wink:) :

"....According to that same article Ali Hewson is working on setting up a Fair Trade fashion label called Edun. Or possibly Edin. "

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3363&Key=relevations&Year=&Cat=12

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

When I met him he was wearing a red sock and a green sock :huh:

I don't really care as long as they are doing disturbing things to draw attention to themselves.
:lol: :laugh: :hug: :dance:
sorry, i just found the thought of bono having unmatched socks too adorbale for words!
*wonders if bono would hire a personal dressing assistant*

U2Kitten said:

No, because they aren't that type of band. No serious band ends up in something like that, and no one over 26 would anyway. I was a fan in my teenage years in the 80's and got many good pics from magazines like Creem and Circus but they were NEVER in "Tiger Beat" or "16" or stuff like that.

I remember compulsively going to the newsstand to get this stuff. It was fun. I have a whole shelf full of magazines from that era with all sorts of cool Bono pix. Too bad I don't have a scanner or I could post some of them. :drool: :drool: :drool: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Souly said:

He's a big boy. He can handle himself :wink:
my first thought was damn....
my second thought was way way more perverted
bono handling himself
big boy
:ohmy: what? i didnt say it!

oh well, i guess he has ali for a dressing assistant anyway.
but why did he need one on the rattle and hum tour and not now?:scratch:
i would tune edges guitars just to be able to work around them.
or do laundry....or add layers to bonos shoes before every concert
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom