Younger crowd digging the latest U2 "image"??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:

No, because they aren't that type of band. No serious band ends up in something like that, and no one over 26 would anyway. I was a fan in my teenage years in the 80's and got many good pics from magazines like Creem and Circus but they were NEVER in "Tiger Beat" or "16" or stuff like that.

WRONG.

Seventeen_Aug85.jpg

This pic was taken from an article in the Aug 1985 issue of Seventeen magazine (ok, so it's not "16" - same thing, just different!) The article was an interview with Adam Clayton.

Magazines print articles if the editors feel the subject is of interest to their audience. It doesn't even have to be an article/interview done specifically for that magazine. I don't know if this one was, but I haven't/didn't see anything similar to it anywhere else. Editors will often cobble together an "interview" from several different sources, and the format they use implies it was specifically for them. Not this article.

I guess what I am saying is that if a teeny-bopper magazine thinks that U2 is of interest to their audience, you'll see articles/interviews (whether real or not) in their rags... if not, then not...

goat

}:)~

rivergoat said:

WRONG.

Seventeen_Aug85.jpg

This pic was taken from an article in the Aug 1985 issue of Seventeen magazine (ok, so it's not "16" - same thing, just different!) The article was an interview with Adam Clayton.

Magazines print articles if the editors feel the subject is of interest to their audience. It doesn't even have to be an article/interview done specifically for that magazine. I don't know if this one was, but I haven't/didn't see anything similar to it anywhere else. Editors will often cobble together an "interview" from several different sources, and the format they use implies it was specifically for them. Not this article.

I guess what I am saying is that if a teeny-bopper magazine thinks that U2 is of interest to their audience, you'll see articles/interviews (whether real or not) in their rags... if not, then not...

goat

}:)~

No, I'm still right. I was a teenage girl, not you;) SEVENTEEN and "16" are NOT anywhere near the same thing. 16 is a fangirl teenybopper magazine full of pics and gushing and facts on famous people, maybe some cheesy interviews. SEVENTEEN is a serious magazine, fashion, problems, discussions, it's thick and doesn't have that much on stars, when it does, it's more serious and informative than 'ohmygawd'. It's more like a Cosmopolitian than 16 or Tiger Beat. I stand by my statement, they were never in a teeny bopper type hype magazine.

I'm with them for the music, not the fashion - period.

(although IMO, they'd still be DAMN hot if they showed up stage wearing sack cloths!!! :drool: :heart: :combust: :D )

Edited to say: By the way, I'm a 20-yr fan who will be 34 this coming March. Just for the record. :wink:

Last edited:
No offense to anyone (thanks for the replies! :up: ) but I thought there were a WHOLE lot more younger female fans in PLEBA!! :scratch:

"This record started with Edge's mustache" - Bono from ABC's Pop special.

:edge: :dance:

u2bonogirl said:

:lol: :laugh: :hug: :dance:
sorry, i just found the thought of bono having unmatched socks too adorbale for words!
*wonders if bono would hire a personal dressing assistant*

oh, and his fly was down too! lol

u2bonogirl said:

my first thought was damn....
my second thought was way way more perverted
bono handling himself
big boy
:ohmy: what? i didnt say it!

... you'd better hope Bono doesn't wonder into PLEBA like Edge did. :ohmy:

As for Bono wearing one green sock and one red sock - that's ADORABLE!!!! :heart: :bono: plus it makes me feel cool, 'cause I mismatch socks all the time... I'll have on my orange Converse all-stars, a white sock with purple stripes, and a white sock with teal stripes. I get soooo many people going "Did you know your socks don't match?" or "How come your socks don't match?" and when I reply with "Did you know yours match? How come your socks match?" they get all ticked :D

U2's image - it's fine, denim is hot, leather is hotter. Though, y'know, they could start wearing khaki pants and sweater vests and I'd still think they're hot... probably cuz that's how my teacher dresses and he's hot, but that's okay... I have to admit it'd be interesting to see U2 in black suits like Interpol :laugh: but U2's new look ain't bad. I don't care for the straw hat but schwhatever, my friends think Bono's shades are cool and Edge's beanie is cool so there ya go. That's what the younger generation thinks.

16 year old U2 fans rock. We need to form a coalition. Good to know I'm not the only teenager in love with someone close to three times my age :huh:

U2Kitten said:

No, I'm still right. I was a teenage girl, not you;) SEVENTEEN and "16" are NOT anywhere near the same thing. 16 is a fangirl teenybopper magazine full of pics and gushing and facts on famous people, maybe some cheesy interviews. SEVENTEEN is a serious magazine, fashion, problems, discussions, it's thick and doesn't have that much on stars, when it does, it's more serious and informative than 'ohmygawd'. It's more like a Cosmopolitian than 16 or Tiger Beat. I stand by my statement, they were never in a teeny bopper type hype magazine.

Right, but I disgaree with the last parts. When Seventeen began they intentionally did NOT feature stars or expensive fashions and things like that. Their models were regular girls, not famous people (maybe later on they got more into modeling) and the mag mostly had things like do-it-yourself crafts, clothes, and recipes. I've seen my mom's Seveteens from the 70s and 80s and this is truth. Now things are starting to move towards the more cheap "teenybopper" side. The Seventeens my little sis reads are pretty much worthless to regular, middle class teenagers who aren't screwing half their class and can't afford Prada. I've have a research project/presentation this semester on pop magazines and one thing I need to research is whether or not Seventeen has ever been bought up since it began (anyone know?). If so, this could explain the recent shift.

Has anyone ever done a Seventeen craft? Once I followed their instructions and made some fire engine red no waist jeans. They were pretty sweet except they pretty much defied every section of the school dress code!

I haven't seen the new ones, I only know what they were in the 80's. Yes, they were full of regular girls, not real models. I have noticed that the Young Miss which used to be the size of a TV guide is now called "YM" and is more 'hip' too. I also used to like "Teen" magazine, it had good stuff on clothes, makeup, boyfriends, plants, pets, stuff for REAL girls, and every month they'd feature one band in the middle section, but it was not a fangirl thing either. Has it changed too?

"16" and "Tiger Beat" are all ooh la la faces and poses, pinups, silly little stories and info on each guy, hospital he was born, favorite food, stuff like that. The stars are the only subject there.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I haven't seen the new ones, I only know what they were in the 80's. Yes, they were full of regular girls, not real models. I have noticed that the Young Miss which used to be the size of a TV guide is now called "YM" and is more 'hip' too. I also used to like "Teen" magazine, it had good stuff on clothes, makeup, boyfriends, plants, pets, stuff for REAL girls, and every month they'd feature one band in the middle section, but it was not a fangirl thing either. Has it changed too?

"16" and "Tiger Beat" are all ooh la la faces and poses, pinups, silly little stories and info on each guy, hospital he was born, favorite food, stuff like that. The stars are the only subject there.

I found Black Book at LAX yesterday. US price is $4.99.

U2Kitten said:

Owlch! I stand corrected.. I guess I was a bit generalizing there. Magazine for that age group were never anything I paid much attention to - how I even got that article is still a mystery to me. Guess it's a case of "you can't tell a book by it's cover."

My apologies.

}: )~

Am 23, do I count?

I'm liking the denim, actually. 1/2+ my wardrobe is denim.

As far as age/hair goes, Bono looks great, I just don't like it when he lets himself get physically run down (then again, who does?). Larry doesn't count 'cause he doesn't change (Picture in grey, Dorian Gray...) Adam looks fantastic, kinda missing the glasses for some things, and others I'm not missing them.

Edge...
Well, I'm partial to Edge anyway, so, yeah, still like him. :)
Tho, would be cute if he lost the hat a little more often. :9

rivergoat said:

Owlch! I stand corrected.. I guess I was a bit generalizing there. Magazine for that age group were never anything I paid much attention to - how I even got that article is still a mystery to me. Guess it's a case of "you can't tell a book by it's cover."

My apologies.

}: )~

Aw, that's okay, you're so nice :) I thought that's what it was, that you just never read any of those books (since you're a guy) and didn't know and the names weres similar. But aren't you glad U2 wasn't in a bopper mag? ;)

Granny, what is LAX? I don't think we have them here out east :huh:

I have an update on this, my niece who is 15 called me and told me she heard Vertigo, and saw something, I don't know what. It could be on MTV now for all I know, I don't have cable. Anyway she said she didn't know U2 had a new song out and it was cool. She said that Bono 'looked like he ironed his hair' (like she does) but that it 'made him look younger.' She also said they look younger than during Elevation except that 'the gray haired guy sure looks old.' :shrug: Larry is her favorite.

Last edited:
Isn't LAX Los Angeles Airport?

U2Kitten, I finally found the magazine today, and they have three more copies. Would you like me to pick one up for you? (It wasn't expensive.)

U2Kitten said:
Granny, what is LAX? I don't think we have them here out east :huh:

I have an update on this, my niece who is 15 called me and told me she heard Vertigo, and saw something, I don't know what. It could be on MTV now for all I know, I don't have cable. Anyway she said she didn't know U2 had a new song out and it was cool. She said that Bono 'looked like he ironed his hair' (like she does) but that it 'made him look younger.' She also said they look younger than during Elevation except that 'the gray haired guy sure looks old.' :shrug: Larry is her favorite.

Sorry, that's Los Angeles Airport.

D'uoh :der: :eek: I thought it was a bookstore chain :uhoh:

<---has never flown or been to LA :crack:

U2Kitten said:
D'uoh :der: :eek: I thought it was a bookstore chain :uhoh:

<---has never flown or been to LA :crack:

oh, it was actually a :cute: cute error. Been to L.A. (decades ago)but by bus. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to flying. Haven't flown since ...?87 for a whole different fannish convention. :)
And a mistake like that is understandable, especially if you [remember correctly?] live in a smaller town area.

When you live in a big (esp airport hub) city, like NYC, LA, Chicago, Atlanta etc you just hear people around you at work, or your friends/family or read in the papers some of the biggest Airport to Airport designations.

Now let's see who can come up with the most interesting type of store chain for the name- LAX. Extra points if you can tie it into u2 :D

BTW U2Kit.....
I didn't know where you'd gotten you latest avatar- till I turned around in a neighborhood newstand/ store and saw the Black Book cover :drool:! I knew the BB was out, just didn't know the b0man was on da cover.

Oh? U2 in Creem & Circus in the eighties?! Wow, I'd like to see some of those photos. They often had good concert photos.
I was reading Creem & Circus in the ? early 70'S.

Last edited:
macphistofreak said:

I'm 16 also and I completely agree. None of my friends are into the save the world thing, while I'm out there joining greenpeace, DATA, netaid, etc. because I want to do something to help humanity. Because of Bono and the lessons he's taught me, I now want to find a cure for AIDS.:bow: :bono:
I'm also told that U2 are "icky old men". I don't give a f*** about the young musicians today! My friends talk about how "Oh, I'd want to go out with this actor or singer, he's so hot and he's only 5 years older than me!" And then when I talk about Bono, people have disgusted looks on their faces. I hate that.:mad: So what if he is...28 years older than me, my mom always said I needed an older, more intelligent guy so I wouldn't get bored. :wink:
Oops, kind of got off the subject. Yes, I like the new image, but I've always liked how they looked. Personally, I think Achtung Baby was the best. Leather leather leather!!! :drool: :drool:
Here's to 16 year old U2 fans!

I don't think anyone's going to rat on U2's image unless Bono goes back to the mullet... and even then, well... I mean...

Never mind. Let's just leave the mullet where it belongs. Other than that, do whatever you want, boys!

(Actually I'm not a big Pop chop person. Keep the long hair, B. Other than THAT, do whatever you want...)

Mismatched socks... :cute: :hug: :heart:

I'm 17 years old, and I don't really care what they look like. I've been a fan of theirs for about 5 years, and I love everything they've done. I love their music, and they are so cool no matter what they wear. They just always have a cool attitude. Besides, while Bono is the same age as my dad, I've always thought of him as a superfox. :drool: I love the long hair on him, and I was even okay with the mullet. And I love the leather and shades! My friends think I'm some sort of freak, but when a guy's sexy, he's sexy! They're so much hotter (and indescribably more talented!) than any of the current artists. Bono's message of doing things to help our world has really gotten to me. Most of my friends like the artists that have no meaning in their music. They are the most stylish guys, no matter what look they go for. It's just too bad that I'm not 27 years older. :sad: I'd be after all four of them. :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'm going to be 24 in a month...whether that makes me young or old..who knows. :shrug: Basically, Bono is the ONLY man in the world that I found attractive with a mullet, and I despise mullets. I loved the Pop chop and the Elevation hair. I don't care how he comes, just bring him on!

I am 14. I like Pop Bono the best and I like the other guys looks in the Elevation era the best. And I really don't care because U2's heart and soul is the most important to me.:wink:

Last edited:
Is 24 old? I'm really impressed at how many teenagers there are in here, cuz when I mention U2 to teenagers they mostly react in one of 2 ways:
1) Who's that?
2) *derogatory* They're OLD!

To see so many teenagers in here who are into real music, with real talent and real passion, really warms my heart! Most I know like poppy boppy crap like Britney Spears and that Usher guy I just want removed from the surface of the earth!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: U2 Rock on forever! "Time shall not weary them, nor the years condemn... " (no offence to Australians who are into Anzac legacy here, for stealing the Ode)

Back
Top Bottom