yet another kitty question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
um
I wasn't sure if I should've dug up one of the other kitty question threads... so mods merge away if need be. :wave:

Anyway.
This is at the request of my brother.
He's got a kitty that's about... oh, 3-4 years old, female, spayed, declawed in front, has all her shots and everything.
I guess she refuses to poop in her litterbox any more. Not peeing anywhere or marking anything, just pooping on the floor in the bathroom.
She always used it up until now except for sometimes when he left for a few days she'd go on the floor. Now she does it all the time whether he's home or not.

Anybody have any suggestions or opinions or anything to say at all?

and now the required kitty picture. Her name's Cricket.
Cricket.JPG

Kill the cat.
Get a dog.

I hate cats.
Besides, I think your cat is going blind. Look closely at the photo. One eye is green and the other is "white". That´s SCARY! Looks like the cat from hell. I wouldn´t want my dog to play around that cat. Very dangerous....
Very dangerous.
You should kill that cat and get a dog.
Perhaps a cute little chihuahua dog with a cute waggly tail.

Last edited:
Max_theHitman said:
Kill the cat.
Get a dog.

What a fantastic idea! There are some people in a few of my classes that I don't like very much, should I take the same advice?

Max_theHitman said:
Kill the cat.
Get a dog.

I hate cats.
Besides, I think your cat is going blind. Look closely at the photo. One eye is green and the other is "white". That´s SCARY! Looks like the cat from hell. I wouldn´t want my dog to play around that cat. Very dangerous....
Very dangerous.

It's not my cat.
chihuahuas are annoying.

and the cat is partially blind in one eye, though the picture's probably from that whole light reflecting off the retina at different angles thing
she was born out on the patio at my parent's house, and we found her mom in the garage and took her inside since she was in labor. I found the kitten outside about 2 hours later. She ended up getting a really bad eye infection and she can't see as well out of that eye.

I'm sure it's a silly question, but has he tried cleaning the litter box more often? Every once in awhile my Burmese cat will start going on the floor around her litter box rather than in the box. :huh: it's usually because she's not happy about the conditions of the box.
She'll urinate in it, because it absorbs and she doesn't need to bury it, and she simply doesn't want to dig in the smelly littter. :shrug:

** Oh, and Max? Cats rule. Dogs drool.
4.gif

:wink:

Last edited:
I didn't specifically ask him, I was thinking that since we both always tell mom she needs to clean the litterboxes more often he'd know better.

It's a good thought though. I'll pass it on.

and I like cats and dogs equally :wink:

#1 thing is to make sure the litter is scooped at least DAILY.

If that doesn't help, he should have her anal glands checked - when they get really full, it can make them uncomfortable when they poop. They think 'Well, it hurts when I go in the litterbox, maybe it won't hurt if I go somewhere else.' If those are fine, in a cat over 7 I recommend checking thyroid hormone levels, many cats with an overactive thyroid poop outside the box.

But far and away, the most common issue seems to be related to litterbox cleanliness, cats often get fussier as they get older.

:wave:

Ultraviolet Light said:

What a fantastic idea! There are some people in a few of my classes that I don't like very much, should I take the same advice?

Well, Ellen, if they're some of the same people I'm thinking of, you'd be doing us both a favor! :D

Anyway...cats...pooping....hmmm...I got nothing. All mine always go where they're supposed to (thank GOD since it's really the ONE thing they do right!).

Oh come on guys (gals), can’t you take a joke?

Seriously now, I do like cats (as long as they stay off my couch though) but I am more inclined to dogs as pets. I did have a Chihuahua for the last 14 years, but unfortunately the little gal died about three months ago from old age :sad:

By looking at the cat picture I did notice something wrong with one of her eyes, so sorry it´s blind. But that doesn´t mean it does not make a cuddly pet either. You just have to love the creature just as it is (just like a human being - we all have our imperfections).
Cats , as everyone knows, are a little bit on the wild side. By that I mean, they were never properly trained as pets throughout our human evolution/relationship.
So cats tend to go off and do their "thing". They are more predatory animals than dogs.
This recent idea of humans having to train cats to use "kitty-litter" hasn’t really set into the cats genes as of yet. No animal is properly "trained", because they still have that "wildness" inside of them. After all they are "animals". They do their "stuff" where they feel like it, because it is in their thought. They don’t have any remorse or feelings as such for doing their Poop on any ones living room. That’s no joke. It´s the truth.
Animals have no remorse’s.
But it seems that Cricket might have some problems with his butt. Speaking seriously, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have it checked it out with your local veterinary. Might be some kind of small intestine problem (or butt) that make the cat want to make poop somewhere else, other than the kitty-litter box.
Another thought that comes to mind is the "territorial problem".
All animals have this tendency to mark their territory. No matter what animal it might be, they have this tendency to mark their "place" with urine and sometimes even poop, so as to let other creatures in the area know, that "that" place is theirs. Some animals just can´t put their urine in certain places, so they poop. They leave their "mark". So it is quite normal. The ONLY un-normal thing about them is that humans have decided to take them INSIDE their houses. Animals are animals... so they love the outdoors. They are NEVER happy being stuck up inside a house. Perhaps the cat is trying to say, "Hey man, let me out of the house , so I can REALLY poop on a nice peace of grass, because it is in my genetic behaviour to do it on a nice piece of green grass!"
As a human yourself, you have to put yourself inside the head of the other animals thoughts. As animals ourselves we have certain "needs", and so do other animals. So think about it .

Hope Cricket gets better. :up:
And by the way, don´t EVER take what I say seriously. I like to have a different outlook towards life, and I often joke about serious stuff. But deep down inside, I do know what I speak about and I do care a lot.
It’s just that I am an "artist" and a painter since I was 4 years old.
So as a human-being, I am a little "fucked up in the brain department" :lol:

Oh... by the way, I almost forgot...

Yes. ( :lmao: )

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:
[BIf that doesn't help, he should have her anal glands checked - when they get really full, it can make them uncomfortable when they poop. They think 'Well, it hurts when I go in the litterbox, maybe it won't hurt if I go somewhere else.'

[/B]

Worf had that just recently. In fact, her gland was abscessed :yikes:. But after a trip to the vet and some antibiotics, she's back to using the litter box again.

Max_theHitman said:
Kill the cat.
Get a dog.

I hate cats.

I don't think you realize just how unfunny this is, and how offensive it is. This forum does not take kindly to cat bashing. And saying 'kill' is not funny, cats are living creatures with feelings and a lot of us love them very much. Please keep these rude thoughts to yourself, and I hope you never actually act upon them. As UV said, there are people I don't like, but I'm not going to kill them. I may hate your dog too, but I am not going to say kill him, even if he ate your sofa. I really think you should apologize to the cat lovers on this forum :(

U2Kitten said:

I don't think you realize just how unfunny this is, and how offensive it is. This forum does not take kindly to cat bashing. And saying 'kill' is not funny, cats are living creatures with feelings and a lot of us love them very much. Please keep these rude thoughts to yourself, and I hope you never actually act upon them. As UV said, there are people I don't like, but I'm not going to kill them. I may hate your dog too, but I am not going to say kill him, even if he ate your sofa. I really think you should apologize to the cat lovers on this forum :(

Sure, beat up on the "poor artist", why won´t ya?
Alright, alright....
~~~~ :bow: I AM SORRY TO ALL CAT LOVERS IN THE HOUSE :bow: ~~~~

There, I said it.
I have no problem apologizing. I am quite the man to do it if I have hurt or upset anyone, specially any ladies of the house. :up:

By the way, did you read what I just finished writing in the up-above post? read it again, please...

posted by MAX~theHitman

Oh come on guys (gals), can’t you take a joke?

Seriously now, I do like cats (as long as they stay off my couch though) but I am more inclined to dogs as pets. I did have a Chihuahua for the last 14 years, but unfortunately the little gal died about three months ago from old age

By looking at the cat picture I did notice something wrong with one of her eyes, so sorry it´s blind. But that doesn´t mean it does not make a cuddly pet either. You just have to love the creature just as it is (just like a human being - we all have our imperfections).
Cats , as everyone knows, are a little bit on the wild side. By that I mean, they were never properly trained as pets throughout our human evolution/relationship.
So cats tend to go off and do their "thing". They are more predatory animals than dogs.
This recent idea of humans having to train cats to use "kitty-litter" hasn’t really set into the cats genes as of yet. No animal is properly "trained", because they still have that "wildness" inside of them. After all they are "animals". They do their "stuff" where they feel like it, because it is in their thought. They don’t have any remorse or feelings as such for doing their Poop on any ones living room. That’s no joke. It´s the truth.
But it seems that Cricket might have some problems with his butt. Speaking seriously, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have it checked it out with your local veterinary. Might be some kind of small intestine problem (or butt) that make the cat want to make poop somewhere else, other than the kitty-litter box.
All animals have this tendency to mark their territory. No matter what animal it might be, they have this tendency to mark their "place" with urine and sometimes even poop, so as to let other creatures in the area know, that "that" place is theirs. Some animals just can´t put their urine in certain places, so they poop. They leave their "mark". So it is quite normal. The ONLY un-normal thing about them is that humans have decided to take them INSIDE their houses. Animals are animals... so they love the outdoors. They are NEVER happy being stuck up inside a house. Perhaps the cat is trying to say, "Hey man, let me out of the house , so I can REALLY poop on a nice peace of grass, because it is in my genetic behaviour to do it on a nice piece of green grass!"
As a human yourself, you have to put yourself inside the head of the other animals thoughts. As animals ourselves we have certain "needs", and so do other animals. So think about it .

And by the way, don´t EVER take what I say seriously. I like to have a different outlook towards life, and I often joke about serious stuff. But deep down inside, I do know what I speak about and I do care a lot.
It’s just that I am an "artist" and a painter since I was 4 years old.
So as a human-being, I am a little "fucked up in the brain department" :lol:

Max_theHitman said:

And by the way, don´t EVER take what I say seriously.

Well, I'm not really taking this post seriously b/c...

1) there's nothing wrong with that cat's eyes, just a camera flash (cats get green eye or yellow eye, not red eye)

2) as for cats using kitty-litter being unnatural....domestic mother cats (NOT humans) will automatically teach kittens how to use a litter box (and they'll do it VERY young...I taught an orphaned 5 week old to use the litter box) and feral cats will often use a local sandbox for a litter box....so, I'm not sure what "genetics" has to do with it. Domestic cats have been bred as domestic cats for hundreds of years, so if their genetics made any difference, I'd think they would be MORE inclined to use a litter box. It's not in the genetic behavior of a domestic cat to poop out on the grass.

3) regardles of being domestic or wild, cats don't poop to mark territory, they scratch or spray, and like Kristie said, Cricket is still peeing in the litter box.

4) your understanding of the genetics of a domestic cat and how this effects their relationships with humans is off. A dog will obey a human, learn tricks, etc, b/c a dog comes from a built-in social hierarchy. The human is like the "alpha" dog (that doesn't imply you have to be mean to your dog). They will always obey the alpha dog. Cats are not like that. Besides lions, packs of cats are all equal, they simply stick together b/c they can try to get in on each other's food. A cat doesn't have the right schema in his brain to understand how to consistently obey a human or learn tricks like dogs can. It's not b/c domestic cats are still too wild, it's b/c domestic cats are cats.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Besides lions, packs of cats are all equal, they simply stick together b/c they can try to get in on each other's food. A cat doesn't have the right schema in his brain to understand how to consistently obey a human or learn tricks like dogs can. It's not b/c domestic cats are still too wild, it's b/c domestic cats are cats.

yes

I always thought someone should try and breed lions to be pets, since they're pack animals and stuff.
Select for smallness and niceness and I think eventually you could get a dog-size nice lion pet.
Maybe I'll give it a shot someday when I'm filthy rich and have nothing else to do :)

thanks for all your suggestions! :hug:

on another note, happy thoughts only in my thread from now on!

Well, I'm not really taking this post seriously b/c...

1) there's nothing wrong with that cat's eyes, just a camera flash (cats get green eye or yellow eye, not red eye)

2) as for cats using kitty-litter being unnatural....domestic mother cats (NOT humans) will automatically teach kittens how to use a litter box (and they'll do it VERY young...I taught an orphaned 5 week old to use the litter box) and feral cats will often use a local sandbox for a litter box....so, I'm not sure what "genetics" has to do with it. Domestic cats have been bred as domestic cats for hundreds of years, so if their genetics made any difference, I'd think they would be MORE inclined to use a litter box. It's not in the genetic behavior of a domestic cat to poop out on the grass.

3) regardles of being domestic or wild, cats don't poop to mark territory, they scratch or spray, and like Kristie said, Cricket is still peeing in the litter box.

4) your understanding of the genetics of a domestic cat and how this effects their relationships with humans is off. A dog will obey a human, learn tricks, etc, b/c a dog comes from a built-in social hierarchy. The human is like the "alpha" dog (that doesn't imply you have to be mean to your dog). They will always obey the alpha dog. Cats are not like that. Besides lions, packs of cats are all equal, they simply stick together b/c they can try to get in on each other's food. A cat doesn't have the right schema in his brain to understand how to consistently obey a human or learn tricks like dogs can. It's not b/c domestic cats are still too wild, it's b/c domestic cats are cats.

:up: Lies :up:

Hitman, it's not a 'joke' to say a creature should be killed. There are already too many people in the world who disregard the value of the life of a domestic animal and laugh it off in such ways. I have had pets be their victims, so no, it's not a 'joke', it's cruel.

Your post does show you know absolutely nothing about cats, and it's true that all hate is based on ignorance. I have never known anyone who actually had been around cats and knew them well 'hate' them. If you don't like them, prefer not to own one, fine, but 'joking' harm to someone else's pet is not funny or cool, and not okay.

YourWildHorses said:
I :heart: moggies so it infuriates me when anyone goes on about hating them or killing them and to think we should take that well as a joke is quite frankly sick! It's just not on at all :sad:

You're right :(

I must admit that to me cat hating is the one unforgiveable sin I can't deal with in a person. I don't mean just that they don't like their company, that's not it, it's the venomous hatred, the 'jokes' or comments of killing them, people who aim for them when they cross the street, people who have cat killing bumper stickers, etc. :down: BTW I also feel the same way about people who hurt dogs!

I keep watching that animal cops show on APL... some of those people need to be locked up for all eternity, and then they either never get prosecuted due to lack of evidence or a fine. Then I am sad.

If this archaeology gig doesn't work out maybe I could be an animal cop. I could see myself doing that.

HAPPY THOUGHTS, EVERYONE!

Kristie said:
I keep watching that animal cops show on APL... some of those people need to be locked up for all eternity, and then they either never get prosecuted due to lack of evidence or a fine. Then I am sad.

If this archaeology gig doesn't work out maybe I could be an animal cop. I could see myself doing that.

HAPPY THOUGHTS, EVERYONE!

I'm addicted to that show!

Where I grew up, your social status was sort of encapsulated in your dog. So all the gang bangers had HUGE rotties and pit bulls. They were all kept chained (not tied with leads or fenced....chained) in back yards and routinely beat into submission.

Honestly I think felony animal cruelty charges should be more harsh (especially embedded collar cases.....those are particularly disturbing/digusting). Also, there needs to be stricter rules about how cats are kept (I know this is more of a local/city decision, but in general). My parents live in a nice neighborhood now and the lady across the street is somewhat of a hippy and an animal lover. She's got these two lovely cats, Preston and Stewart, but they rarely get in the house and are often in terrible condition. The lady tries to come off as this nice animal/cat lover, and then I look at her cats, who aren't kept properly inside, their eyes are weepy with chronic cold and upper respiratory infection, and the long-haired one has terrible mats in his fur. :rolleyes:

HAPPY (cat) THOUGHT: I have to brush Beckham's teeth every night w/ two different brushes, and he actually lets me do this without ripping me apart! He seems torn between the discomfort of having it done and his love of the taste of the cat toothpaste, hehe.

I'm addicted to that show!

Where I grew up, your social status was sort of encapsulated in your dog. So all the gang bangers had HUGE rotties and pit bulls. They were all kept chained (not tied with leads or fenced....chained) in back yards and routinely beat into submission.

Honestly I think felony animal cruelty charges should be more harsh (especially embedded collar cases.....those are particularly disturbing/digusting). Also, there needs to be stricter rules about how cats are kept (I know this is more of a local/city decision, but in general). My parents live in a nice neighborhood now and the lady across the street is somewhat of a hippy and an animal lover. She's got these two lovely cats, Preston and Stewart, but they rarely get in the house and are often in terrible condition. The lady tries to come off as this nice animal/cat lover, and then I look at her cats, who aren't kept properly inside, their eyes are weepy with chronic cold and upper respiratory infection, and the long-haired one has terrible mats in his fur. :rolleyes:

HAPPY (cat) THOUGHT: I have to brush Beckham's teeth every night w/ two different brushes, and he actually lets me do this without ripping me apart! He seems torn between the discomfort of having it done and his love of the taste of the cat toothpaste, hehe.

wow, that's impressive
though I bet most of our cats would let us brush their teeth... except ranger. Doing anything to Ranger is a two-person job.... one to pin her legs and immobilize her and the other one to do whatever needs to be done.

I agree on the stricter laws, and especially on the imbedded collars. I just can't imagine how someone could let that happen.

Our cats spend a lot of time outside but they're all in good shape... no fleas or mats or weepy eyes or any of that. Though when I get a cat it's going to be an inside cat, all the problems that go along with the inside/outside thing aren't really worth it.

Here's my happy thought... you know what the best thing is? When your cat has kittens, and their mommy does all the taking care of them and they can play with each other when you're not interested and all you really have to do is sit there and go "awwwwww!"
I miss having kittens around.

Kristie said:

That makes me sick, and no one does anything about it :mad: that's why so many people continue to hurt animals for 'fun'. Most of them are just trashy idiots who are taking out on innocent animals what they don't have the balls to do to the humans in their life who are causing their real problems. The rest are just insensitive jerks with no regard for the life of a pet who do it for sick kicks. They should all be put away, I wish I could stop them.

Kristie said:

Our cats spend a lot of time outside but they're all in good shape... no fleas or mats or weepy eyes or any of that. Though when I get a cat it's going to be an inside cat, all the problems that go along with the inside/outside thing aren't really worth it.

I would prefer mine NEVER go out due to idiots who hurt them and other idiots who drive like fools. But I have a couple who literally tear the place apart and cry constantly trying to get out. I let them have their supervised sunshine time, making sure they stay in my yard, then I take them in before I go anywhere. I mean really, how would YOU like to NEVER be able to go outside, ever? Some don't mind and don't even ask, but others do. I also leave windows open when weather permits to let them get fresh air. Drive past my house and you'll likely find a cat in every window!

Here's my happy thought... you know what the best thing is? When your cat has kittens, and their mommy does all the taking care of them and they can play with each other when you're not interested and all you really have to do is sit there and go "awwwwww!"
I miss having kittens around.

Sigh, if it were only that easy. The mother cats I've had would either lay on some kittens, or move them to an unsafe place like a closet shelf where they can fall, (I moved them but she moved them back) so I've had to constantly keep an eye on them, often losing sleep!

Hello Kristie, please see the following...

http://cats.about.com/od/litterboxproblems/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He Peed WHERE?

He Peed WHERE?

From Franny Syufy,
Your Guide to Cats.

Inappropriate Elimination in Cats
That rather high-falutin' term is what we use to politely discuss the problem of cats peeing everywhere but in their litter boxes. It is the largest single cause of consternation among cat aficionados right up there alongside clawing furniture and drapes. Indeed, shelters cite the largest reason given by people surrendering cats is "He pees all over the house."

Sad.

Sad because there are solutions other than euthanasia, which is another euphemism for "killing." Cats are fastidious creatures, and given a clean litterbox, will gravitate to it like magic. When a cat suddenly scorns the litterbox in favor of the new carpet or Junior's closet floor, it behooves us humans to investigate the cause.

More Than One Cat

¹"If your household includes several cats, you and your veterinarian must first determine which cat is eliminating outside the litter box.

In some cases, more than one cat may be eliminating outside the box. Occasionally, a few simple questions and some detective work can find the culprit. If the identity is still uncertain, your veterinarian can give each cat a product that will stain its urine marks with a color that can be detected by an ultraviolet light."
Eliminate Serious Medical Causes First

Although we may view cats as mysterious, infathomable critters, they do nothing without reason. One of the more serious reasons for cats urinating outside the litter box is a urinary tract dysfunction, known as FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease), formerly known as FUS (Feline Urinary Syndrome.) FLUTD will cause painful urination, which the cat may associate with the litterbox, thereby avoiding it. Therefore, inappropriate elimination may be your first clue that your cat needs medical care. If you ignore it, or, worse yet, choose to punish your cat, the disease can quickly become life-threatening.

When Bubba started peeing on the floor a few years ago, we attributed it to jealousy of another cat, and disregarded it. A few days later my husband came home to find Bubba "sleeping" on our bed, and discovered a lethargic, weak, close-to-death cat. We rushed him to our veterinary clinic 10 miles away, and he remained there for ten days. There was little warning, other than the inappropriate elimination, and had it not been for Asa's symbiotic relationship with Bubba and his sharp eye for the unusual, we would have had a dead kitty in just hours.

¹From the FDA Veterinarian web site. Used with permission.

Getting A Clean Bill of Health is Your First Task
First things first, and the most serious possible cause of inappropriate elimination is always pain in urinating, which translates to avoidance of the litter box, which is a symbol of the pain in the cat's mind.

We'll assume your cat got a clean bill of health from your veterinarian because this article is about peeing in all the wrong places. (FLUTD and FUS are covered elsewhere.)

Eliminate Other Likely Causes

Next, your task is eliminating all the other causes of your cat's missing the litterbox. He missed the whole room, you say? Well, bear with me. You need to ask yourself a number of questions involving what has changed to disturb my cat? Cats are fussy little critters who like to have everything orderly in their home. The slightest change which you may accomodate or even enjoy will upset your cat's applecart and he will let you know loud and clear, by peeing where he darn well pleases, even though he ordinarily would prefer his litterbox.

Here are some questions to consider:

Has your cat been declawed? Declawing is a painful, mutilating surgery, and phantom limb pain can linger for years. A rough substrate in the litter box will cause severe pain to the nerve endings in a declawed paw, and the cat will associate pain with the litter box. Always use "gentle" litter for declawed cats, such as one of the newspaper-based litters (PaPurr or Yesterday's News are both good).
Have you recently moved? - This is a biggie. Your cat will feel very insecure in new surroundings and it will take some time for his comfort level to return to normal.
Is there a new baby in the house? Cats are very jealous of their attention and he will need lots of extra love and cuddling so he knows that he is still first in your heart. (You may feel a little differently, but humor him, okay?)
Is there a new cat in your home? A new dog? The above applies equally to these situations, and in the case of another cat, make sure it has its own litterbox. Cats hate to share, particularly if they've never had to before. The general rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one extra. Don't ask why-- it just works.
Is his litterbox meticulously clean? Have you ever had to relieve yourself in one of those portable facilities at a fair, when the deodorizer has failed its job? Cats are every bit as disgusted as you were and their sense of smell is better, by far. I rest my case.
Have you changed your brand of litter? Cats tend to be creatures of habit, and any changes should be done gradually. In the case of litter changes, just sprinkle a bit of the new litter on top of the formerly used brand. Then gradually add more until the cat has accepted the change.
Have you moved the litterbox? Likewise, cats are used to their normal routines.
Has another cat in the household recently had surgery or been ill? I know this sounds strange, but the odor of anasthesia and medication can linger and create fear in your other cats.
Is it possible any form of trauma has occurred when your cat was using the box? Such as attack or intimidation by another cat? Again, a cat will avoid any source of discomfort, whether it be physical or emotional. His mind will link the location with the trauma.
These are all questions designed to make you think like a cat. Consider the things that might make you uncomfortable in the same situation. If one of these questions makes you pop to attention, your problem may be solved quickly by elimination the source, i.e., switching back to his old brand of litter, or moving the litterbox back to its original place. However, if the problem has been longstanding, you may need to dig deeper and the retraining may take a bit more time.

Territorial Marking
Territorial marking or spraying by cats is a whole different subject, as you will soon learn, if you haven't already noticed.

So, you've eliminated all of the above potential causes, and your kitty is still indulging in his perverse activity. It could be that he is not urinating "normally", but spraying, or marking his territory. This is common, particularly among un-neutered mature male cats, and in some male cats that were neutered after reaching sexual maturity.

Spraying or marking territory involves a distinct posture not found in normal urination. A cat will back up to a vertical surface, stand with his tail quivering, and direct a spray of urine on the wall or other vertical surface. Often he will make little mincing steps in place while marking. He will then leave the area without sniffing. (He's made his statement and knows it.) This behavior is not limited to male cats, as females will also sometimes spray, but for different reasons.

Marking, like inappropriate elimination, may be triggered by psychological reasons or by the more prosaic.

Child Behavior Problems
The fastest and easiest way to get your kids to listen and behave.
Good-Child-Guide.com
I recently read a list post by a woman who, in a tender "togetherness" moment with her cat, had him back up and spray her leg. She treated this bit of indiscretion with good humor, as she realized it was her cat's way of marking her as *his.*

¹"Doors or entranceways frequented by you or other cats may be marked. Placing urine on stoves or vertical surfaces is usually a type of marking behavior. Often, objects that smell like you such as bedding or laundry may be marked. Marking behavior can be triggered by stress or anxiety. One example of this is the cat that picks up cues that the owner is preparing for a trip and urinates in the suitcase. Another example is the cat that marks a piece of furniture after a new cat is introduced into the household."

Treatments for this type of behavior needs to be individualized to the cat and its particular circumstances. Usually, the treatment revolves around modifying the stresses in the environment or trying to modify the cat's response to them. In some cases, anxiolytic drugs may be prescribed to help the process. As with all therapies for behavior problems, the treatment plan may evolve as the therapy progresses.

Retraining Your Cat to the Litter Box
First a caution about what you should never do. Never, ever punish a cat for peeing in the wrong place, by yelling, rubbing his nose in it, or forcing or throwing him into the litterbox. You'll create far more problems than you'll ever cure, even if you catch him in the act. You'll teach him nothing but fear and distrust for his human bully, traits you want to avoid at all costs, and you'll only reinforce his fears of the litter box by throwing him into it.

Two Step Training

Washington State University, College of Veterinary Medicine suggests a two-step program for retraining a cat that is urinating inappropriately. It's a pretty simple concept: make his litterbox more attractive to him while making his current spot as unattractive as possible.

Make His Litterbox Irresistable

First, give him a new litterbox with clean litter.

Cats usually prefer a fine-grained litter, and are not particularly fond of scented litter. Once you've found the brand of litter your cat prefers, don't change brands. (Save your coupon-shopping for products less critical.) Pour about two to three inches of litter into the box--more is not only wasteful, but ineffective.

Put the litterbox in a quiet place--cats are very private about their elimination and don't care to be observed. Make sure it's not next to noisy appliances, as that will distract and disturb him. There are a number of new litter box products on the market that feature privacy in one way or another. Just be sure the box is placed in an area where other cats can't sneak up and intimidate the cat who is using it.

If the box sits on a hard, cold surface, you should consider putting a carpet remnant or washable rug under it, as cats like to scratch around the box. It should be in an easily-accessible location. Young kittens and senior cats may not be able to climb stairs easily.

Multi-cat households should ideally have one litterbox per cat plus one extra. (We have five boxes for three cats.) Most important: scoop the solid particles out at least daily, and change the litter completely ever three days or so, washing the pan thoroughly with plain detergent and water or a mild bleach solution (rinse well).

Make The Inappropriate Area Unattractive

Next, you need to remove every bit of evidence of his urine from the place he's been using. There are a number of cleaning products marketed for this purpose, but you can start with plain dishsoap and water on a hard-surface floor, and a regular carpet cleaning solution on carpets, provided the urine is fresh. Caution: don't use a cleaning product containing ammonia. The cat will smell it as urine and attempt to cover it with his own scent by peeing again. Plain soda or seltzer water can be effective in neutralizing fresh urine odor, but for badly soiled carpeting , you'll need an enzyme-based product. There are a number of new products on the market for removing the scent of urine. I've reviewed what I consider to be the best in my Top Urine Odor Eliminators article. For more information on removing the odor and stain of urine, also read Cleaning Kitty Accidents.

You can finish by temporarily putting aluminum foil over the area where the cat has peed. Cats don't like the noise and feel of aluminum foil, and as long as they have a new, clean litter box, the switch should be successful.

Once you've set your plan into action, watch your cat and praise him every time he uses his box. This retraining can take time, but with dedication and patience, you and your cat can once again live in peace.

Max, like I said before, that's for peeing/spraying and is not Cricket's problem. Before assuming it's a behavioral problem, she should see a vet to rule out a medical issue.

As for indoor vs. outdoor cats, I don't see any real reason why cats have to be outside. Outdoor cats require additional vaccinations that have a higher risk of problems than the typical indoor cat vaccinations (rabies and distemper). For example, my indoor cats will never get feline leukemia shots but outdoor cats have to and there is a very slight chance of some tumors associated with this vaccine. Sure, my cats meow and howl constantly to go out, but they learn. Beckham did this to the point of madness, and now he's fine inside. Max is constantly running out the door or acutally clawing through my screens, but he'll learn eventually. To me, it's just not worth the risk of all the diseases they can catch. I can't afford to vaccinate them against that and I don't want to take any chances. Domestic cats were bred to be indoors; there's nothing instinctive about them being in the wild. Not to mention, in a lot of cities it's not legal. The outdoor cats by my parents house are all sick, they're not taken care of b/c they never see a vet regularly, they've killed off the birds and routinely tear into each other. I can't believe how people say they love animals and then neglect their animals like that.

Kristie, I've been to your house and seen your cats and you have a very nice yard and your house is far enough from other houses for it not to be a problem.

I guess it's mainly a matter of personal choice based on if you're willing to pay extra and go to extra vet visits for the proper vaccinations and what the laws are in your area.

Max is constantly running out the door or acutally clawing through my screens, but he'll learn eventually.

A cat named "Max".
MMMMmmmm... I have that same problem constantly . :lol:

By the way, what I was referreing to in an earlier post was after seeing this new documentary on domestic cats which was aired a few weeks ago on cable TV. I believe it was the Discovery channel. It made me look and think about domestic cats in a totally different perspective. So that is why I said it might be a "genetic thing" about them. If you had seen the same documentary, you would all understand. (Oh well...never mind :rolleyes: )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted by YourWildHorses

Talking in ANY light-hearted manner is NOT a joke

I don't have ANY problem because i can see that as a fact!

..and "NO", I HAVE NEVER HURT any animal! So stop that talk.

YOU do not know me from anywhere to say... "I can see that as a fact".

If any of the U2 band members said something awful , but more like a joke, would YOU take him seriously??
Or would you go out and BURN all your records like they did when John Lennon had a slip of the tongue when he said the Beatles where more popular at that time than what Jesus was around?
Bono has had a few "slip of his tongue" quite a few times too, but does it make him any different from what you know of him, or how you love to listen to U2´s music and sing-a-long to their lyrics?
What about Larry Mullen Jr. not liking cats? Are you going to look at him diferently just because he had a problem with cats when he was younger and cannot stand to be around them?

Think about it.

Last edited:
Like I said in my other post, there is a difference between just not liking to be around cats or not wanting to own ne and outright HATING them, wishing them harm, and doing them harm. I know people who are afraid of cats, though I can't understand why a person would be afraid of a cat and not a dog when dogs are much more likely to attack and hurt you badly. My daughter has a friend who is so afraid my cats are going to 'bite' her (anyone who knows cats knows they don't just walk up and bite like a dog does) that I have to hide them in other rooms or she won't walk into the house. But she doesn't hate them or want to hurt them. I had a very bad experience with a dog when I was a child, I saw my best friend mauled and then the dog chased me. I got away, but had nightmares and for years would not go near any dog. If I got over it, anyone can.

But if someone chooses not to own a cat or doesn't feel comfortable around cats, that is not a problem. The problem I have is the outright hatred to the point of thinking it's okay or even funny to suggest their death, or even worse some fuckhead trashbag loser idiot who would actually hurt someone's cat on purpose just because HE doesn't like them. It upsets me to think how many are roaming our sreets. Oh if only I ran the world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom