Yet Another Honor for U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy

ONE<br>love, blood, life
Lookin' for the face I had before the world was ma
U2 have been named #9 in NME's top 50 greatest artists!
smile.gif
I love to see the guys honored like this!

The story from U2.com:

U2 In Top Ten NME List of '50 Greatest Artists of all Time'.

'In the mid '70's the NME defined the culture and the look and the attitude,' recalls Adam in an interview with the UK music weekly NME, to mark its fiftieth birthday. 'It brought new types of music ? a sound, a look a manifesto. It put a face on the new musical attitude of ska, reggae, punk and the all-important live scene was covered in depth. It was essential for anyone in a band or interested in music at the time.'

NME have been writing about U2 for 22 years and, as this week's issue puts it, 'the band have been through as many changes as the paper'. Their top fifty poll of 'NME Icons' is based on appearances on front covers, volume and significance of features, dominance in end of year writers polls, readers letters and the number of actgs who are referrred to as 'the new them'. It is a quirky, opinionated, eccentric list, notable as much for who is missing as for who is included.

Here's their Top Ten

1: The Smiths
2: The Beatles
3: Stone Roses
4: David Bowie
5: Sex Pistols
6: Oasis
7: Radiohead
8: Paul Weller/The Jam
9: U2
10: Public Enemy

Last year, at the NME Carling 'Brat' Awards, Bono recalled that, 'We were put on the cover of the NME before we had a record deal, in fact it helped us get a record deal.'

Asked about the impact that NME had on U2, Adam remembers, 'We were very serious about what we were doing and NME took its role seriously too. There was a passion in the writing and an importance attached to the subject of music criticism. They united people around the idea that some music was genius and some music was crap and that that was all that mattered.'

NME, Adam concludes, 'was the important voice of what we were getting into'. 'It brought us to a wider audience and made an effort to understand us when we were only beginning to understand ourselves.'

Some pics from NME through the years
smile.gif

U2Bono0500_L.jpg

U2MTV1611_L.jpg

BonoMcCallmem_L.jpg

U2Awards_L.jpg

------------------
The whole wide world feels like a shrine to the worker bees, who stole it from God anyhow.
Lay it down, child
Lay it down, child
And walk into this room all made with love for you...

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

U2oasis0702_L.jpg

U2Livecrowd_L.jpg

U2liveGrammys_L.jpg

DrDreBonoGrammysLFI_L.jpg

------------------
The whole wide world feels like a shrine to the worker bees, who stole it from God anyhow.
Lay it down, child
Lay it down, child

U2MiamiRehers3_L.jpg

U2MiamiRehers4_L.jpg

U2MiamiRehers_L.jpg

U2MiamiRehers5_L.jpg

U2MiamiRehers6_L.jpg

------------------
Lay it down, child
Lay it down, child

Originally posted by hippyactress:
DrDreBonoGrammysLFI_L.jpg

Hehehehe!! For some reason Bono + Dre = me giggling

------------------
"Adam's in his world, lost to the music. You've probably never seen a happier person in your life."
~BP Fallon

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
~Andrew Jackson

~~S&C~~

THE SMITHS??? STONE ROSES?? OASIS???

ALL ABOVE U2????????????

are they INSANE???????????????
mad.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif

1: The Smiths
2: The Beatles
3: Stone Roses
4: David Bowie
5: Sex Pistols
6: Oasis
7: Radiohead
8: Paul Weller/The Jam
9: U2
10: Public Enemy

Why, I oughta.....

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 04-20-2002).]

Originally posted by Discoteque:

ALL ABOVE U2????????????

mad.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif

Calm down Disco! I was reading around the NME site and these are simply the top 50 bands who have had the most influence on NME itself...I don't think they were going for greatest band of all time. But if they were, they are insane!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Lay it down, child
Lay it down, child

Originally posted by Discoteque:

ALL ABOVE U2????????????

mad.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif

Why, I oughta.....

I was thinking the same thing.... the Beatles below The Smiths? I think they should have just made a list and put a "in no particular order" list... I can't see The Smiths being above The Beatles in regards to defining and influencing what rock is today.

And, dood... I don't know who the Stone Roses are.... I know who the Rolling Stones are and Guns n' Roses, but not the Stone Roses. Ah, well. I guess I'm showing my naivete through my age.
wink.gif

Just my .U2 cents.

Moonie
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom