Yay! I Got A .........................................

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the b
With all the rememberances and the sadness of last year, I do have some good news:

I GOT A
:dance:
:laugh:
:happy:

JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:larry: :laugh: :happy: :cool: :wave:

Moonie :D

daisybean said:
YAY Moobers

:hug:

Details please!!!!!!

Where, what....

yay :dance::dance::dance:

I know I've been quiet lately... gee, that's a first....

It's because I've been really trying to find a job and it had been so disheartening for me. Really. I went on I think three interviews and all of them said the same thing: 'We'll look over your resume and you'll hear back by the end of such-and-such.' I'd get a rejection letter in the mail telling me that they appreciated my interest in their company and wish me luck in my future job-hunting endeavors, but sorry, we don't want you.

All this while I apply for job after job after job on Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com. Personally, neither of them work. All those positions listed and not once did I get anything other than SPAM from it. :rolleyes:

I found a little ad in the paper for a Program Assistant with Easter Seals. I called and asked if I could e-mail my resume and followed through by calling the next day to see if it was received. The girl, Debbie, was really nice and told me to go ahead and e-mail it to her just in case her boss didn't get it. I got a phone call the next day asking it I'd like to come in for an interview in a week.

Between that time, I went on a job interview with AAA (Automobile Club of Southern California) and am very tempted to rip up my AAA card and mail it to them. Let's just say it was one of the more humiliating experiences of my life. When I came in to fill out the application (before testing started) I was informed:

• This is a "customer service call center" position.
  • It's an hourly wage job.
  • No vacation time or medical insurance will be provided while working the hourly wage.
  • Saturdays are mandatory at least once a month.
  • Shifts will vary - from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
  • It's an entry level position.
  • Be prepared to commit 15 months to this position.
  • It will take a year to complete all training for this position.

Gee, this job sounds sooooooo freakin' appealing. There were four of us in the beginning. One girl asked if it were possible for her to work her training schedule around her schooling. They told her, sorry, but no. She then quipped as she left, "I really wish someone had told me all this before I came all the way down here." You go girl. I should have realized it was a complete waste of my time, too.

Because I couldn't answer 8 math word problems in 10 minutes, I wasn't allowed to go to the next level of testing. Even though I answered 38 of the 45 "match the underlined word with the correct synonym" and got 95% of them correct. I'm still questioning the 5% I got wrong. ;) I handed over my test results and the human resources bitch looked them over and said, "I'm sorry, we require that you answer *8* of the math right." I asked if there was a possibility of me taking the test over. (I don't *do* word problems. I hate them. I didn't expect their 'basic' skills math test to be that way. I've taken a freakin' STATE math test and passed it, fer feck's sake.) I was told that if I wanted to re-test for the same position, I had to wait SIX MONTHS. I didn't really bother to listen to whatever else she had to say because I was so incensed. I ripped off my visitor name tag and stomped outside. I flicked my name tag onto the ground as I walked to my car.

I thought my life was shit. Here I am, an ex-teacher, trying to get an entry-level sit in front of a computer like a drone and answer phone calls all day position - WITH NO BENEFITS. I have a degree. I don't *do* entry-level.

My interview with Easter Seals went really well. It was the first time in a very long time (I could almost say ever) that I felt comfortable. I had a great interview and was asked to come back for a second interview with the other co-workers and the clients. That was on Tuesday (yesterday). That went over really well, too. The program director called my apartment and left a message with my grumpy boyfriend (he's been working nights and going to school during the day - it was a Tuesday, a non-sleep day) to call her back. I did and was offered the position. :D

So, yeah. There you have the details.

I'm going in on Friday to start all the paperwork and stuff. My boss said it's actually great that it's working out that way because the middle of the month is the start of their payroll. That means I'll get PAID. Wooooo Hoooo!

I'm a Program Assistant for Easter Seals. yup. I freakin' ROCK. and there's room for growth. Which is what I've been craving.

Thanks for the good thoughts and making me laugh when this summer was so dark and dreary. :D

Last edited:
This is so great Moonie!

I know there is nothing like a job interview at the wrong place to make you feel like a worthless piece of crap...I've been there along with many of us here.

AAA :down: They used to be one of my main clients...trust me, you don't want to work for them. Uptight doesn't even begin to describe their work environment.

I'm so happy you found something that you feel good about and i hope it works out for you :)

WOOGHOO FER MOONIE!

YAY MOONIE!
I'm so happy for you!
:hug: :heart:
luxhello.gif

Kristie said:
YAAAYYYAYAYAYAY MOONIE!!!

but... what are Easter Seals?

A couple of you have asked what Easter Seals is and what I'd be doing.

Well, when I was young, my mom used to always put these little stamps on her Christmas cards and Easter cards. You could send in money as a donation to Easter Seals and they would give you the stamps to put on your cards to let others know that you supported them.

I always knew what Easter Seals was because my cousin has Down's Syndrome and Autism. As my aunt likes to say, he was hit with a double whammy. You see, if a child has Down's Syndrome, in most cases, he/she can communicate in some way. Many can talk and carry on basic conversations. Well, when a child has Autism, he/she has a very hard time communicating feelings, thoughts, emotions. It's very difficult for the child to get a point across. And the kicker is, many children with autism are brilliantly smart. So, there's my cousin, with a severe case of Down's Syndrome and Autism. If he didn't have the autism he could at least communicate. He can't. He can make sounds but that's it. He can laugh and grin, too... but that's about it. I'm just very thankful that my aunt and uncle kept him and didn't institutionalize him - which at the time was very popular. The kid comes out retarded, put him in a home. Forget he even existed. Sad, but very very true.

So, here's the website of the organization I'm now employed with:

http://www.essc.org

Basically, they offer services to children/adults with disabilities - showing them how to take care of themselves, be independent and in some cases, live on their own and find jobs. My job as a program assistant will be to assist the program director. To be honest, I don't know everything about what my job entails. There is another position posted on the website that gives the general duties. What I'm attracted to about this position is it will offer diversity as well as potential for growth. As a teacher, I thought I could change the world, one student at a time. After 2 1/2 years of it, I lost the passion I had for helping kids. I'm very happy I found a job that will offer me the ability to still help people.

Wooo Hooo for me. :D

Bono's American Wife said:
This is so great Moonie!

I know there is nothing like a job interview at the wrong place to make you feel like a worthless piece of crap...I've been there along with many of us here.

AAA :down: They used to be one of my main clients...trust me, you don't want to work for them. Uptight doesn't even begin to describe their work environment.

I'm so happy you found something that you feel good about and i hope it works out for you :)

After that experience with AAA, I can safely say they suck the big ol' monkey pee-pee.

Yup.

What a horrid and degrading experience. That's how they weed out all their candidates. I forgot to mention one thing: Their testing was as follows:

You take a math and vocabulary test first; if you pass that, you take an data entry test; if you pass that, you take some other test; if you pass that, you get to be interviewed.

After all that, do ya think they'd offer a free lunch or something? I was sitting in that lobby waiting for twenty minutes for someone to show up (they told us to be there 15 minutes before our appointed time - I was and lost out on a scone from Starbucks because I didn't want to be late). If I had known it didn't really make a freakin' difference that I got there at 8:00 AM instead of 7:45 AM, I would have gotten myself a scone and would have been prepared for the chick in HR to say: The testing will take several hours. You will be here until approximately 2:00 PM. Instead, I listened to my stomach rumble as I realized I wouldn't be scarfing anything down anytime soon. Maybe that's why my math test sucked. Lack of scones.

I'll keep my AAA membership for the free towing and the free "come and help me get my keys out of me locked car." But that's it. Their insurance is waaaaay too expensive - I was insured with them and had liability only on my Mercury Zephyr - the TANK. I then got my grandpa's old chevy S-10 little '84 Tahoe (the Tahoes back then are like the Chevy S-10s are now - small trucks). They raised my insurance on that thing because it was a "truck". So, when I got my new truck, I went with a different insurance company. I'm actually paying less now for FULL COVERAGE on my new truck than I was paying just basic liability on my old truck. :rolleyes:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Congrats!

Send some of those good vibes my way, willya? ;)

Good luck on the new venture!

I most certainly am sending good vibes your way, April. I started to lose hope - seriously - I didn't know what I was going to do. I have a car payment, rent, bills to pay, student loan payments due... I was trying to figure out what I could do.

I applied to so many jobs posted on-line, it boggles my mind. Out of all those jobs, all that time spent looking, not one phone call. Not one e-mail. All I got from those stupid on-line job sites (Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, etc.) was SPAM. :yuck:

I got my job from looking in the paper and calling and following up with a phone call the next day to make sure they got my resume. I know I got lucky. I just know it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will, too. SOON.

:hugs:

Hey Moobers! Congrats!!! I didn't read the details about the job because I'm soooo sleepy right now. But I will tomorrow, I promise. Just wanted to say I'm really happy for you and I wish you total success!

Loves ya!

Flamin' June Bug :hug:

WOO HOO DANA!!!

I'm SOOOOO glad for you....I know ZACTLY how you feel too, esp. since we were both laid off. I hope this new job makes you very happy and fulfilled, and gives you enough to pay the bills AND have some fun too (like buying all the new U2ey stuff in a couple months!) :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :up: :yes: :wave: :dance:

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

I most certainly am sending good vibes your way, April. I started to lose hope - seriously - I didn't know what I was going to do. I have a car payment, rent, bills to pay, student loan payments due... I was trying to figure out what I could do.

I applied to so many jobs posted on-line, it boggles my mind. Out of all those jobs, all that time spent looking, not one phone call. Not one e-mail. All I got from those stupid on-line job sites (Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, etc.) was SPAM. :yuck:

I got my job from looking in the paper and calling and following up with a phone call the next day to make sure they got my resume. I know I got lucky. I just know it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will, too. SOON.

:hugs:

Thanks, girl. :hug: It's just been so flippin' hard! I cannot believe it's taken so long for me to find a friggin administrative job!!! In three weeks the unemployment runs out and I'll be talking to temp agencies if something doesn't spring up soon.

:sad: :scream:

I'm just glad so many have been posting job threads, maybe soon y'all will see me post one. :)

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Thanks, girl. :hug: It's just been so flippin' hard! I cannot believe it's taken so long for me to find a friggin administrative job!!! In three weeks the unemployment runs out and I'll be talking to temp agencies if something doesn't spring up soon.

Hey! I just had an interview with a local store, because I'm really needing the money now! But I'm really thinking about temping... because I'm getting desperate so I know that feeling! :(

ZooEuropa said:

Hey! I just had an interview with a local store, because I'm really needing the money now! But I'm really thinking about temping... because I'm getting desperate so I know that feeling! :(

The thing is, I *hate* temping. To me, it's so degrading. When I temped, I was treated as "the temp" and "oh, have the temp do that." Excuuuuuse meeeee! I have a name and it's not The Temp. Not only that, but the people at the work places all have their groups and their cliques and since I was just there for the day or for the week, I always had that "not included" feeling. Plus, it was right around Christmas time.

I also didn't like the fact that I wasn't given the jobs I was qualified for. Instead, I was sent to places to collate folders and other mundane things. I just felt degraded, really.

Thing is, it's really hard to find a job if you don't have much experience. Most places won't hire you without some sort of experience because they don't want to be bothered with someone who has to be trained. So, the temping might be a good idea because sometimes they offer training jobs where you learn those skills.

The reason I knock temping is because I was a bit overqualified for it and they don't pay very well - compared to a teacher salary.

moon_is_playing_tricks said:

The thing is, I *hate* temping. To me, it's so degrading. When I temped, I was treated as "the temp" and "oh, have the temp do that." Excuuuuuse meeeee! I have a name and it's not The Temp. Not only that, but the people at the work places all have their groups and their cliques and since I was just there for the day or for the week, I always had that "not included" feeling. Plus, it was right around Christmas time.

I also didn't like the fact that I wasn't given the jobs I was qualified for. Instead, I was sent to places to collate folders and other mundane things. I just felt degraded, really.

Thing is, it's really hard to find a job if you don't have much experience. Most places won't hire you without some sort of experience because they don't want to be bothered with someone who has to be trained. So, the temping might be a good idea because sometimes they offer training jobs where you learn those skills.

The reason I knock temping is because I was a bit overqualified for it and they don't pay very well - compared to a teacher salary.

Thanks Moonie, I'll bare that in mind! I just think that being as I'm at my age and everything, it might be better for me to get a temping job since it'll pay more and since I'm not exactly fully qualified or anything. That way I can flexi-work too.

But sounds like you got it all worked out for you :D Good luck :hug:

Back
Top Bottom