Wtf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Did I miss something?

I read this article on youtwo.net

October 11, 2002
From The Mirror:

Bono on Track for Nobel
By Paul Martin

Bono is hotly tipped to win the Nobel Peace Prize today.

The U2 rocker is up against Pope John Paul, US President George Bush and a group of US disarmament experts. The winner of
the $ 1million prize will be announced at 11am from a record list of more than 156 candidates.

Bono was nominated for his work in the campaign to drop third world debt.

He said: "It's a great honour even to be nominated but the most important thing is keeping doing the good work - and getting the job
done."

The UN and its Secretary-General Kofi Annan won the 2001 prize as was widely predicted in the 100th year of the awards.

The prizes were set up by Alfred Nobel, a Swedish philanthropist and the inventor of dynamite.

Afghan president Hamid Karzai, Fidel Castro and Orthodox Christian leader Patriarch Bartholomew are also contenders for the award.

Director of the Norwegian Nobel Institute Geir Lundestad said: "If I'd been an outsider I think I would have had very great difficulty finding
an obvious favourite. The choice often seems so obvious afterwards."

Auschwitz survivor Imre Kertesz became the first Hungarian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature yesterday.
------------------------------------

Was Bono up for a Nobel Prize? :huh: I seriously am confused. Wouldn't there have been more of a fuss on PLEBA if he was? I never heard anything about it before this though.

Can someone explain? :huh:

Yes, Bono was nom for the Nobel Prize. I think some of us didnt know if it was really true or not so thats why there wasnt that much talk about it. There's some threads for it tho.

Yeah, he was nominated. If he keeps this up he'll win the thing some year. I really do think it's a matter of "when" and not "if".

Hippos are odd.........just like this situation

Yeah, I missed it to. Until the day that they announced Jimmy Carter won............
Very strange.......:hmm:
I'm usually on top of all things Bono. <-------not gutterbrain intended

Last edited:
Re: Hippos are odd.........just like this situation

*BOOMCHAA!* said:
Yeah, I missed it to. Until the day that they announced Jimmy Carter won............
Very strange.......:hmm:
I'm usually on top of all things Bono. <-------not gutterbrain intended

:lol: You know, I didn't think of it that way until you said "not gutterbrain intended"!

Anyway...yeah, I really hope he'll win it someday. That would rock!

Back
Top Bottom