Would this bother you ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KristenF

The Fly
I was just hired by a company that requires a medical exam on all new employees. I understand about drug testing and am ok with that, the thing that bothers me is one of the things they want to know from their doctor is how much you weigh.
Granted, I'm not fat-but like most women, I'm completely uncomfortable with announcing my weight to people. I would like to tell them that I'll go through the exam, but that I'm not comfortable with giving out my weight. Like I said, I understand the drug test- feel they have a right to check for that, but asking me how much I weigh seems really invasive and I don't think it's any of their business. What do you guys think ?

It took me 6 months to find this job, so I don't want to risk losing it.

What kind of job is it? Does it your weight have something to do with the job?

I think it's to private. I wouldn't like that question neither. I think they have to make a question about that, that you can fill in if you want it and if you have no problems with it.
Like you said, it's none of their business.
Why should they know your weight?
I should tell them that you don't want to give them your weight because it took you 6 months to find that job.

I hope they understand that and that you get the job! :hug:

I think it's rude to ask someone's weight, especially if others will see and hear :|

For me personally, even if I'm not fat my weight always sounds bad to announce. With my frame, if I weigh 138, I still look skinny, yet some people with that weight who are shorter or more slightly built are considered a candidate for weight loss, especially in this society of thinking everyone should weigh 110. :| I get kind of offended to see TV shows where someone who weighs about that are considered fat and asked to lose weight. Then they get down to an extra small size and show their old 'fat' size 10 pants! I mean, sheesh, if I can wear a 10 I consider myself a good size (and I can't right now :reject: )

So unless someone is heavy enough to cause health problems or danger to the workplace, leave it alone.

Last edited:
I would agree that they shouldn't really need to know.
The only occasion i could see them having to know would be maybe for the police force or something like that?
But, yes on the whole i think it's rather rude!

Good luck&hope it turns out fine, Kristen! :wink:

Well I am seriously considering telling them that I will take all the tests they want, but that my weight is my personal business & has no bearing on the job itself.
It's a receptionist position, so even if a person were heavy-it shouldn't matter.
Like I said, I'm not fat & I still take issue with this, so I can't imagine how someone who was overweight would feel.

You have to have a medical exam for a receptionist position? :huh: Geez yes it would bother me, as it always does when employers ask for information that has no bearing on the job and is really none of their business. :mad: :down:

I guess it will come down to, will they absolutely require that to give you the job, but I don't think it could hurt to tell them what you said.

KristenF said:
Well I am seriously considering telling them that I will take all the tests they want, but that my weight is my personal business & has no bearing on the job itself.
It's a receptionist position, so even if a person were heavy-it shouldn't matter.
Like I said, I'm not fat & I still take issue with this, so I can't imagine how someone who was overweight would feel.

I worked at a place once where the receptionist was about to be fired because of her weight. They were saying she gave the company a 'sloppy' image and wanted to replace her with a slimmer girl.:( We in the phone room heard the boss and his wife discussing this and alerted her. She threatened them with discrimination and they backed off!

Are you receiving any benefits like health insurance as part of the job? If so, they have a right to ask for a complete physical exam since they're the ones paying for your health insurance. Is there a reason why they specifically want to know your weight, or is that just one of the many parts of the physical?

U2Kitten said:

I worked at a place once where the receptionist was about to be fired because of her weight. They were saying she gave the company a 'sloppy' image and wanted to replace her with a slimmer girl.:( We in the phone room heard the boss and his wife discussing this and alerted her. She threatened them with discrimination and they backed off!
That sort of thing is based on "looks"..... if they were going to discriminate against weight, they shouldn't need an actual figure, should they?
So I'm confused as to why this is part of the medical exam that Kristen needs.

Kristen - ask them why that particular detail is neccessary. There's no harm in that.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Are you receiving any benefits like health insurance as part of the job? If so, they have a right to ask for a complete physical exam since they're the ones paying for your health insurance.

Exactly, that's what I was going to say.
Weight is just standard physical exam information, like height or blood pressure.
Now if they specifically only want weight, that's another story. Do you need like an ID or something to get in the building? Maybe they want physical info so they know if someone using your ID is really you - like I know when I renewed my driver's license they asked for weight, even though it's not printed on the license.
I'd definitely say ask them what they need your weight for before you refuse to give it to them - they could have a perfectly sensical reason.

If it has to do with your job, or deals with things along the lines of what Ultraviolet Light mentioned, I can see where people ask that, but if it doesn't have to do with any of that and it's just a question they're asking for no real reason, then you shouldn't have to share your weight if you don't want to, 'cause it's not their concern. Personally, I don't have any problem telling what my weight is, but I know it can be touchy for others, and if they don't feel comfortable talking about it, they shouldn't have to.

I'd personally feel uncomfortable about the drug test portion of the whole thing, actually.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I'd personally feel uncomfortable about the drug test portion of the whole thing, actually.

This is pretty common. I had to do them when I was only a sophomore in HS b/c I taught gymnastics for the city program.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Oh, I know they're common. I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable taking one.

It kinda sucks cus you have to pee in a cup (I had to twice), but I figure, I've got nothing to hide and if I were a parent, I sure wouldn't want to have someone spotting my kids while she's high or wasted.

I don't know.....it doesn't bother me at all, but if it bothers you then tell them. Peeing in cups suck more....especially when you when the bathroom is like in the waiting room practiaclly and you have to carry your "present" across a crowded waiting room to the doctor.........................:ohmy:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
It kinda sucks cus you have to pee in a cup (I had to twice), but I figure, I've got nothing to hide and if I were a parent, I sure wouldn't want to have someone spotting my kids while she's high or wasted.

Yeah, but then there's those stories about people who tested positive, but it turned out they didn't do drugs, it was just something they ate or drank or whatever that caused it to come up positive. And I don't have anything to hide, either, but I'd just like to think that I'm automatically trusted going into this job, you know? If it's discovered later on that someone's been abusing drugs on the job, then yes, definitely, they can fire them, but it'd be nice to have an automatic trust thing going in. I know people have gotten screwed before, but it's just disturbing how little trust some people can have towards others these days and everything.

Besides, I highly doubt most people who take drugs will bother with the test in the first place, so what's the point? And if they are forced to take it, they could still find ways to get around it.

Meh. Anywho, that's just my personal feelings on the issue-if you're comfortable with it, that's cool :).

Angela

For some, it's a personal and private matter and it is invasive when asked.

I don't think I would have an issue if a job were to pay for a physical exam and weight is a factor in the physical exam itself. Your employers, by law, are not allowed to disclose this information with anyone. In addition, your health care provider also are not allowed to share your health records with anyone without your permission. That is, if you live in America.
So, the health care provider would have to disclose the physical exam results only to your employer, of course with your written permission, and I'm sure the details won't be scrawled all over your Human Resource File.
BUT, if your employer has asked you verbally or written, I would ask why your weight pertains to the position you are in and how it pertains to your health insurance.
By law, as I'm informed, you don't have to disclose any information regarding your age, race, creed, religion, etc, as it may discriminate you and therefore, are grounds to legally pursue a legit complaint against the company.
Of course, only in America.

Back
Top Bottom