Why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Five Killed in Montgomery County Shootings
Schools Operating Under Emergency Status advertisement

By a Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 3, 2002; 12:07 PM

Five people have been shot to death since last night within a one-mile radius in Montgomery County, Md., in the Washington suburbs, and police said this morning they are searching for two men who witnesses saw driving a white van near several of the shootings.

The shootings, most of which occurred this morning, were at a supermarket, a post office, two gas stations and on the lawn of a house along Rockville Pike. The shooting spree has caused an uproar across the county, and the 911 emergency system has been inundated with callers offering tips.

The county's public school system issued an emergency order canceling all outdoor activities, including recess and open lunch. Afternoon kindergarten also was canceled. Children attending morning kindergarten are being kept at schools. All exterior doors are locked. No one can leave or come inside the schools unless a parent calls ahead to pick up children.

"We're hunkered down for the time being," said Brian Porter, Montgomery County schools spokesman. Police urged parents and faculty to remain calm. None of the shootings involved schools, and police said they had no evidence suggesting schools were at risk.

Public schools in the District have issued a similar lockdown order, keeping all children inside until further notice. The Archdiocese of Washington, which operates 35 private Catholic schools in Montgomery County, has told its schools to follow public schools directives. Parents are being discouraged from coming to schools to pick up their children, said Archdiocese spokeswoman Susan Gibbs.

Police said the white van they are looking for may have small black lettering on the side and damage at the rear. Witnesses to the shootings said they saw the truck leaving some of the crime scenes.

"These individuals had not done anything," Montgomery County Police Chief Charles Moose said during a morning news conference. "We need to figure out some way to stop this."

"We strongly feel that all of these are connected," Moose said.

The first shooting occurred last night, when a man identified as James Martin was killed in the parking lot of a grocery store in Wheaton. About 7:40 a.m., a man on a lawnmower was shot in the 11000 block of Rockville Pike.

Then about 8:10 a.m., at a gas station on Aspen Hill Road at Connecticut Avenue, a man was shot while pumping gas. About a half hour later, a woman was shot at the post office of the Leisure World retirement community.

Another shooting occurred at 10 a.m. at a Shell gas station on Knowles Avenue on Connecticut Avenue.

Staff and wire reports contributed to this report.

? 2002 The Washington Post Company

-----------------------

All these places are so close to my house. The Shell stations is less than 5 minutes from my high school. It's also right across the street from where I worked this summer. I know where all these places are. They're showing pictures on the news and I KNOW these places.

Why the crap does this happen. This is really scary. I don't want my family going outside. :mad: :sad:

Sorry I just had to share this and rant a bit. I talked to my mom a little while ago. Still friggin scary. This isn't even like how we're close enough to DC to be affected by panic caused by anthrax scares. This is Wheaton, this is where I live, that is my hometown.

I know. I work in DC and live in Silver Spring. I have the best of both worlds today. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid to go home. :(

:hug: (((Mona)))

Yeah, I read that. So tragic and really scary. Is that close to your home, Mona? :hug:

Sorry Mona you have to deal with this. I have no words, it just makes me furious. :hug: Extra prayers tonight for those families.. :(

Hey MC...yes it is close to Mona's house. This is all too close to home for me. Mona and Michael and I hung out last night and we went by almost all of those places. It is really scarey for me to think how close we came to being news. Can you imagine being those poor kids who can't go home? They have to stay at school until their parents can come and get them.

This is so senseless.

Mona you know that if I didn't have class I would come and keep you company tonight. Stay close to Michael, and you have my cell if you need me.

Actually...screw class...if you need company give me a call. If they will let me on campus I will come see you.

It's these kind of things that make me angry. Why do we have to live in a world like this? Why do people feel the need to commit senseless acts of violence? I'm so upset right now.

Thank you Mona for posting this. This is just more incentive for me to be active in promoting peace.

I hope your family is doing okay. ((((Mona)))) I'll be thinking about you...

*sigh* i don't know what to say- people are senseless..especially when it comes to shootings. and hippy you are right, this calls for even more promotion of peace- but will stupid people like the people who commited this crime listen? Let's hope so- my thoughts are with you and your family, mona :) :hug: :hug: :hug:

Terrible.

I just came back from the DC area for a memorial service, and I know a lot of people in Montgomery County. Take care, DC'ers.

Tanks, youse guys.

They released the names of the victims, and no one I know.

That doesn't make it BETTER. But....I dunno. It's still scary though. Hope it's over.

Back
Top Bottom