'Who's this Weirdo?'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ancalagon

Acrobat
Hope I don't tread on any toes by starting a new thread, but can anyone point me towards Bono's article for NME's yearbook? I haven't a hope of finding it where I live, and I'd really like to read it. The title was 'Who's This Weirdo?', I think.

All I could find was this extract, from @u2.com. Maybe someone else has the full article?

'Who's This Weirdo?'

U2.com, November 10, 2004

Bono, writes for the 2004 NME Year Book, about his year in politics.

(Extract here)

I suppose I could tell you about some of the people I've met in the last year. There's the powerful ones -- politicians, business men, bankers -- with that look in their eye, a kind of wary recognition: "Don't I know you from the news stand?" crossed with, "Who's this weirdo?"

Then there's the powerless ones, dying, sick, starving in vast numbers, silent, compliant. I can't begin to describe the look in their eyes. But it's a habit I have, looking people in the eye, and it gets me into a lot of trouble...

So, who have I met and where have I been?

George W. Bush. I was surprised that he agreed to see me at all. He didn't have to, especially as I used to crank-call his dad at the White House from the stage during U2's Zoo TV Tour. Dressed as the devil with 70,000 of my closest friends singing along, I would call at about 10 o' clock at night. We usually got Operator 2, and we would sing at the top of our voices, "I just called to say I love you." Still, since I posed for a photo with W. in 2003, he agreed to pledge $15bn for five years to combat HIV/AIDS in Africa.

Thanks for replying, miss becky. :) I hope somebody posts the full article too - someone must have bought the yearbook!

Back
Top Bottom