who is Bruce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
"turn my lights off bruce"

"lights off bruce"

"spotlights off bruce"

who is the man sitting next to the light switch?

:huh: where idd he say bruce?

usually he says turn my lights of willie(sorta inaudible), as in Willie Williams, tour designer.. and he does the lights I think too..

:yes: Bruce is their lighting man

From u2com (introducing the main crew members):

Name
Bruce Ramus

Hometown
Squamish, BC, Canada.

Title on the Road
Lighting Director

Day to Day Role
I live ‘Front of House’ with Willie, Smasher and Bob. From there we control the visual show (lights, video, automation). This little place holds a lot of technology - a lot of creative energy too.
During the gig, I operate a console that commands the lighting system and I also communicate through my headset with about 25 different people - technicians, engineers, followspot operators.
Between the two, I initiate different lighting ‘looks’ in time with the music. There’s hundreds of these cues during a 140 minute show.
I’m in constant contact with Willie during the gig as well - we are always discussing and adapting the looks as we go. We laugh a lot, mainly.
Other times, I prepare for upcoming U2 projects. We always have television shows, or DVD shoots, or extra-tour gigs to arrange… plus the evolution of the show, which involves researching and developing new ideas. These ideas come from the band or the creative team, and are added to the live show daily. It’s great fun.
And I also have a lighting crew - best in the world – and maintaining communication with them is an important part of my day. They’re the ones who move the system from town to town and make it work every day.

there is much more on him, but it might be too much to quote.

How Ended up Working With U2
I met Willie in a pub in Cambridge (the ‘Live and Let Live’) in 1989, and we became close friends. We worked together on a few really fun projects for a few years and then in ’92, he asked me to do the first leg of Zoo TV. I didn’t end up joining ‘til Zooropa in ’93 which was the peak of rock touring in terms of vibe – so I’m really glad I signed up. They’re a wonderful group of people to work for…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom