Where Will Bono Be for the Next Two Weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
AFRICA!

Check it out:

Bono heads back to Africa to see progress, needs

By Lesley Wroughton

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Irish rocker and activist Bono is taking his crusade for Africa on the road.

U2's lead singer will tour Lesotho, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Mali and Ghana on a 10-day trip starting on Tuesday to examine how his successful campaign for debt relief can now help combat poverty and disease, his advocacy group DATA said on Thursday.

The tour comes four years after Bono focused the world's attention on Africa's plight when he and then U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill traveled around the continent to highlight the need for Western governments to increase aid and erase poor countries' debt burdens.

Bono is credited with spearheading the successful campaign to erase the debts of poor countries, with world leaders praising his effort to learn the issues and be a constructive participant in policymaking.

In June the Group of Eight industrialized countries, meeting in Gleneagles, Scotland, agreed to cancel the debts of 18 low-income countries, most of them in Africa, to free up resources to tackle poverty.

The G-8 powers also pledged to double aid to Africa by 2010 to about $47 billion.

Much has changed since Bono's trip with O'Neill in 2002. The continent is enjoying its best growth rates in more than 30 years, due not only to a boom in global commodity prices but also to improvements in government economic policies and fewer conflicts.

HEALTH CARE, EDUCATION

However, critics say years of foreign aid has done little to effectively change the lives of many Africans.

Jamie Drummond, executive director of DATA, or Debt AIDS Trade Africa, the advocacy group co-founded by Bono, said the tour will try to gauge if the increased attention on Africa is making a difference for such things as health care and education.

"We're going to look at foreign assistance working on the ground in Africa and see what is working and what is not," he told Reuters.

"Effective aid backing good African leadership can get results, so let's do more of it," said Drummond, adding, "Why would you not do more of it?"

In Washington, the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee, in the early stages of crafting fiscal 2007 bills, has shaved off $2.4 billion from President George W. Bush's request for foreign aid as a way to help with tax cuts.

Drummond said such moves will derail the promises made to the world's poor, and Bono's goal is to keep policymakers' attention on Africa.

"The timing of this is extremely important, not just because you can see all the results on the ground, but because at this very moment top policymakers in all of the G-8 countries are looking at whether they can afford to keep their promises -- whether in Germany, Canada, Italy, or France, and above all in the U.S. Congress," he said.

Reuters/VNU

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060512/music_nm/africa_bono_dc_2

This is EXCELLENT NEWS and should silence those critics of Bono's who constantly wonder if he travels back to Africa.

I have friends in Lesotho, Nigeria, Tanzania and Mali and I can't wait to see reports of the B-man back on African soil! :yes:

THANK YOU, BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:
U2's lead singer will tour Lesotho, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Mali and Ghana on a 10-day trip starting on Tuesday to examine how his successful campaign for debt relief can now help combat poverty and disease, his advocacy group DATA said on Thursday.

*cough*Babydoll*cough*

Is Bono tapping into our MSN conversations? :eyebrow:

Thanks for the info Jamilia :hug:

Ava79 said:
Yeees, does Babydoll know about this??? :eek:
I don't know, but she needs to get her butt online and come find out! :hyper:

Ahem.. excuse me now.. I have to go pack. I'm going to visit Babydoll :shifty:

:up: indeed.

Am very :happy: to hear that Bono is heading back to Africa to see the progress and needs.

And wow, he seems to be in a different city, different state, different country, different continent almost each day!

Talk about :hyper:!! :wink:

Jamila said:

Yes, of course, go to Africa just when I returned from there! :grumpy:

:wink:

Thanks for the info...

In Washington, the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee, in the early stages of crafting fiscal 2007 bills, has shaved off $2.4 billion from President George W. Bush's request for foreign aid as a way to help with tax cuts.

Drummond said such moves will derail the promises made to the world's poor, and Bono's goal is to keep policymakers' attention on Africa.

"The timing of this is extremely important, not just because you can see all the results on the ground, but because at this very moment top policymakers in all of the G-8 countries are looking at whether they can afford to keep their promises -- whether in Germany, Canada, Italy, or France, and above all in the U.S. Congress," he said.

You can bet that the underlying reason why Bono is making this recently announced visit to Africa has to do with the above happenings going on right now in Congress.

Last week in Grand Rapids and in Dallas, Bono was vociferous in his disappointment and disgust with the proposed cuts in programs for Africa to eliminate HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty.

I'm glad everyone appreciates the info. :wink:

Gotta love Bono :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

hehe babydoll's going to freak out when she finds out about this... we talked about it yesterday that he'd been there when she was in the USA :lol: and that she'd die if he'd come back!

ok seriously, it's getting scary now... Bono.. QUIT READING OUR MSN CONVERSATIONS! :madwife:

thanks for the info Jamila ^^ It's pretty cool Bono does visit those countries by himself, and not sending some assistant to check it for him while he scratches his arse lying on the beach...

bono on tour , hopefully we get some good pictures of the b man holding dying babies and maybe then the west will get there fingers out of their arse.

kafrun said:

I don't know, but she needs to get her butt online and come find out! :hyper:

Ahem.. excuse me now.. I have to go pack. I'm going to visit Babydoll :shifty:

OMG she is going to go :crazy: what are the possibilities that he will be in the same place as Babydoll? :ohmy:

JCOSTER said:

OMG she is going to go :crazy: what are the possibilities that he will be in the same place as Babydoll? :ohmy:

how about... 100%?
lol if she finds out what city he will be in Im sure she's gonna try to meet him :lol:
and there is an EDUN factory in her city, he might go tehre too :wink:

Are EDUN products made in factories ? i thought they were hand made or something like that.

Thrilled to hear he is going back. I hope he makes lots of "noise" while he's out there to get attention back on what's really being done about the issues. So crucial to keep policymakers' attention on Africa. Way to go Bono!! :up:

QUOTE: "In Washington, the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee, in the early stages of crafting fiscal 2007 bills, has shaved off $2.4 billion from President George W. Bush's request for foreign aid as a way to help with tax cuts" :madwife:
Doesn't this just make your blood boil? What's wrong with these people? Not to mention that they don't blink twice to give themselves pay raises anytime they feel like it.

vaz02 said:
Are EDUN products made in factories ? i thought they were hand made or something like that.

i'm sure they just mean a production factory - they may be hand made but they have to be handmade somewhere and in an organised environment... its not like people are sitting at home stitching t-shirts and them posting them to SACS 5th avenue

Galeongirl said:
hehe babydoll's going to freak out when she finds out about this... we talked about it yesterday that he'd been there when she was in the USA :lol: and that she'd die if he'd come back!

Something tells me there'd better be a tank of oxygen nearby when she reads or hears about this. (or someone who knows CPR) :wink:

Hope you get to see him babydoll. If anyone can, it would certainly be you. Go for it girl! :yes:

I havent been online all day and i come and see this????? WHERE AND WHEN IS HE GOING TO BE HERE?????????????????????????????? PLSSSSSSSSSSSSS KEEP ME POSTED!!!!!!

^ :lol: It begins..

Okay hun - calm down, take a deep breath, go get a camera, a sharpie, something for him to sign, a giant net, some rope.. uhhh :shifty:

Babydoll said:
I havent been online all day and i come and see this????? WHERE AND WHEN IS HE GOING TO BE HERE?????????????????????????????? PLSSSSSSSSSSSSS KEEP ME POSTED!!!!!!

Hey! :wave: Hmm, I don't know if anyone knows the exact dates but I'm sure that you're going to get them here, sooner or later. We will keep you posted and I reallyreallyreally wish you get a chance to see (meet) the man himself!! :drool:

Babydoll said:
WHEN IS HE GOING TO BE HEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ok, first of all Babydoll, take deep breaths, deep slow breaths....

On contactmusic it has the following info:

Rock activist BONO will begin a ten-day tour of Africa next week (16MAY06) to examine the achievements of his Make Poverty History campaign. The U2 frontman plans to visit Lesotho, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Mali and Ghana, kicking off on Tuesday.
http://contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/bono to tour africa_12_05_2006

so it looks like it will be from may 16th (tuesday) through may 26th (a friday).

So you have about 3-4 days to work on your plan of attack. :wink:

iwsh i get to meet him too, ava. :) if i don't, i'll regret it.

but however, i'll try to put things in perspective: he might not even be coming to the same city i am in, and there are also so many reasons that could make me miss meeting him by a minute even....

i'll do my best but i won't expect much. i'll only end up disappointing myself if i expect too much and not meet him.

Babydoll said:

i'll do my best but i won't expect much. i'll only end up disappointing myself if i expect too much and not meet him.

I feel bad that you're worried you might not meet him. I know that would be terribly dissapointing. But we're rooting for you BBD. Just make sure you have access to a good car so you can get to where he is visiting in Tanzania. Good luck girl!! :hug:

Babydoll said:

I know that feeling all too well :hug: That's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let's hope for the best and not give a single thought for the worst!

thanks, ava :hug:

the support of most plebans warms my heart :angel: however, i need to find out WHERE i can meet him, see? if it's a low profile visit, only for a day, it might be very hard. especially as i live in a tourist attraction city and there are tons of 5 star hotels here...

i need to find out where he is going when he comes here. please keep me posted, plebans! :up:

and if not, there's always hawaii! :dancing: :D

Back
Top Bottom