When It Looks Like There’ll Be No Tomorrow pt 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge's girl

Acrobat
Disclaimer: still fiction

DARYL:

They’d loaded Edge and I into the back of the helicopter and given us each a bottle of water, which we’d been instructed to “drink slowly so you don’t make yourselves sick”. It wasn’t until I had settled into the cool of the air-conditioned helicopter and drank half a bottle of water that I realised just how hot it had been out there.

Now I’m sitting in a hospital bed, attached to a hydration drip and covered in some strange paste that’s supposed to help with my sunburn. My face, neck and arms had been bright red. And by bright red I mean fire engine red. Though Edge is worse off because at least I have hair on my head to protect it, the top of his head was so sunburnt you could use it as a guide for landing airplanes in the dark.

I’ve just finished an hour long talk with a pair of police men in which I had to relate my story three times while they got all the details and looked for inconstancies. As if I’d rape myself and drop me in the middle of the desert, I don’t think that’s even possible.

“Hey, how are you?”

I look up to see Stacy standing in the doorway and smile. “Better now.”

“I’m allowed to talk to you now, aren’t I?”

“Don’t see why not. You’re better looking then the two cops I’ve been staring at for the past hour anyway.”

She lightly slaps me on the shoulder as she takes a seat next to me on the bed. “You are such a tease.”

I brush my hair back from my face and look at her seriously. “Thinking of you was what kept me going when I was out there.”

She kisses me softly. “I was so worried about you. I don’t know what I would have done if you hadn’t ended up alright.”

I pull her into a hug before murmuring in her ear, “Marry me?”

She pulls back and looks at me in surprise. “What?”

“This wasn’t how I’d planned it but I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while, the ring’s in my suitcase at the hotel actually, I just couldn’t figure out exactly what I wanted to say because I wanted to find the perfect words, and, well, after today I was thinking that there aren’t the perfect words because the words that describe how I feel about you don’t exist yet. So, will you marry me?”

She stares at me in shock for a moment and I wonder if I did the wrong thing asking her now. Then she shrieks and throws her arms around my neck exclaiming, “Of course I will.”

BETH:

When I walk into Edge’s room he’s lying flat on his back with his eyes closed and I hesitate wondering if he’s asleep. The he opens his eyes and smiles at me;

“I heard you come in.”

I walk over to sit on the edge of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

He sits up slowly. “Better I suppose. Whatever this stuff is they’ve put on me is sure helping the sun burn.”

I reach up and stroke the side of his face gently. “I’m just glad they found you.”

“How’d the appointment go?” he asks and I look at him in surprise.

“Daryl told me,” he says in an even tone that doesn’t quite hide the hurt in his voice. “You could have said something to me.”

“I didn’t know what to say. We haven’t discussed kids at all and to tell you the truth I hadn’t even thought about having them until Daryl said that I should get a pregnancy check.”

“That doesn’t mean I don’t want kids, I’d love them. I wish you’d trusted me enough to say something.”

“This doesn’t have anything to do with not trusting you. I love you and trust you above anyone else. I just didn’t know how to start a conversation about kids with you, when I’m not even sure I want them. Which has much more to do with me then it does you.”

“You could talk to Daryl.” The accusation in his tone stung.

“Daryl brought the subject up. I didn’t even think I was pregnant at first.”

“That’s not what he said.”

I struggle to keep the exasperation I’m feeling out of my voice. “I don’t know what you want me to say, Edge.”

“I just want to know that the kid’s mine.”

“Of course it’s yours! Is that what you thought? That I hadn’t told you because it wasn’t yours.”

“What was I supposed to think?”

I throw my arms around him, burring my face in his shoulder. “I love you, you do know that don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Then how could you possibly think it’s not your kid?”

“I didn’t think that at first, but there was a little voice at the back of my mind that kept suggesting that might be why you hadn’t said anything to me. And the more time I had to think about it the more sense it seemed to make.”

I kiss his neck gently being careful of his sunburn. “Well I’d be the one who’s the most surprised if it wasn’t yours.”

He starts laughing and pulls me down onto the bed next to him, kissing my forehead before reaching over to remove the hydration drip from his arm.

I raise an eyebrow. “I don’t think you should take that out until the doctors say you can.”

He leans over and kisses me, then murmurs against my lips; “Trust me, it’ll just get in the way.”

The final part should be up by this weekend, I hope everyone's enjoyed this story.

Back
Top Bottom